Type 2 Sugar Test Question

type two paul

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diabetes
I haven't been checking or managing my diabetes recently and this morning at 10am I did a test and it was 12 mmol/L.. After a cup of tea (no sugar) it was 17.4. I was surprised why just a cup of tea made it go that high. Anyway, I will keep monitoring and probably need to see the diabetic nurse.

MissMuffett

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It could have been caused by the Dawn phenomenon or if you had milk in your tea? Did you test straight away or 2 hours after? There is an explanation on the Dawn phenomenon on the forum but I can’t find it to get a link for you. I’m sure someone will soon

type two paul

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diabetes
It could have been caused by the Dawn phenomenon or if you had milk in your tea? Did you test straight away or 2 hours after? There is an explanation on the Dawn phenomenon on the forum but I can’t find it to get a link for you. I’m sure someone will soon
Yes semi skimmed. I did the test 1hr after the first. TBH the first is high given I hadn't eaten or anything

MissMuffett

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Check your BG as soon as you get out of bed see what the result is. Some members check it before they get out of bed and use a swab to clean their hands before.

KennyA

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I haven't been checking or managing my diabetes recently and this morning at 10am I did a test and it was 12 mmol/L.. After a cup of tea (no sugar) it was 17.4. I was surprised why just a cup of tea made it go that high. Anyway, I will keep monitoring and probably need to see the diabetic nurse.
If you haven't been checking or managing your condition it's probably more likely that you'll get those sorts of figures more often. Milk contains lactose and taken hot in tea the carb will probably be more quickly absorbed.

How would you normally be managing your condition?

Paul_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes semi skimmed. I did the test 1hr after the first. TBH the first is high given I hadn't eaten or anything
What quantity of milk do you make your tea with? If it's just a dash, it would be odd for that to cause a significant increase, but if you make it as my grandmother did where it was mostly milk, that might affect things.

It's worth testing immediately before drinking your tea, then 2 hours later. I've seen @KennyA discuss coffee previously, where it causes an increase in his blood glucose levels, but at 2 hours after he's down to normal levels again. Might be the same for you.

Also, definitely worth considering the dawn phenomenon effect @MissMuffett mentioned. It can cause unpredictable readings in the morning, anywhere from 4am onwards, up to when you eat usually (even a bit beyond for some people).

Edit - Your profile shows you're on tablets. Do you mind if I ask which ones? Have you been taking them as prescribed?