Sugars not going down even after exercise

GuidingSenses

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all. Woke at 8 am with sugars at 8.8. I had porridge for breakfast and injected my Fiasp just 3 units instead of 4 as I knew I was going to the gym later. Arrived gym 12 noon. Sugars high 15 and usually they down rapidly with cardio. One hour later and a lot more exercise than usual they remained at 15!
2 pm injected 3 units fiasp correction dose.
Needed to eat so injected for my lunch carbs.
Just slowly going down now at 13.9 at 2.45 pm.
The only thing I’ve done differently is had porridge?!
After breakfast on a gym day my sugars go down quickly but today is bizarre.
Advice welcomed

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Sorry to read about today's diabetes struggles.
Is it usual for your BG to be so high when you go to the gym?
I ask because I cannot exercise with levels above about 12 mmol/l. I was told that exercising at levels when your body cannot get the energy it needs puts additional stress on your body and can result in BG raising further.
And then, the slowness of the correction may be due to a "feature of Fiasp". I find the speed at which it works can vary greatly depending upon my BG. If my BG is in the 4s or low 5s, Fiasp will start working immediately - I need to bolus after eating. However, once my BG is in double figures, it can take forever to start working - it can easily be an hour before I see a change of direction on my CGM graph.

These two things would suggest to me (a non healthcare qualified person) that the problem was the high BG at the start of the day. It is as if your breakfast bolus did not work. Have you tried changing your insulin pen? Or is it likely you are going down with a bug? Or didn't sleep as well as usual? Or stressed for some other reason?
Sadly, there are so many things that affect our BG, it is sometimes decided it was just the wrong pair of socks.

I hope your BG falls soon. Try not to do as I do and rage bolus yourself into a hypo because you get impatient. But maybe change your pen if you are unsure about it.

Reactions: EllieM

GuidingSenses

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Thankyou so much that’s really helpful! No they aren’t usually that high before I go to the gym.!yes I’m questioning my insulin pen this morning - currently out but will check as I know it was getting near the line to change cartridge.
Ah I’m new to fiasp so was expecting quicker responses but yes that makes sense, I’m in double figures a lot as my job can be stressful. I didn’t sleep well last night as hubby has a virus and dog not well.
So yes I can be a mixture of everything but at least my Keto was normal.
I will persevere and wait for it to drop…
Thankyou again

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
What kind of breakfast do you usually have?
Do you carb count and calculate your insulin dose based on the carbs in your meal?
Can something have gone wrong with the calculation?

Many of us, including myself find that I need more insulin foor the same amount of carbs in the morning than later in the day. So if you usually eat fewer carbs with breakfast, there may be something like that going on as well.

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
I also use Fiasp and I wonder if your high blood sugars at 12 were due to the fact that you’d injected less than usual for breakfast porridge plus that, in general, fiasp is most active for about 4 hours.
Like @In Response, I find that it takes much longer for a correction dose to work if blood sugars are higher.

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I’m questioning my insulin pen this morning - currently out but will check as I know it was getting near the line to change cartridge.
How long have you been using this cartridge?
The other thing I have found with Fiasp i that it does not last as long out of the fridge as NovoRapid. For me, it is ok for more than 2 weeks but not the 4 weeks I was comfortable with when using Novorapid.

GuidingSenses

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
What kind of breakfast do you usually have?
Do you carb count and calculate your insulin dose based on the carbs in your meal?
Can something have gone wrong with the calculation?

Many of us, including myself find that I need more insulin foor the same amount of carbs in the morning than later in the day. So if you usually eat fewer carbs with breakfast, there may be something like that going on as well.
Breakfast varies but can be gluten free flakes or gf toast. Not had gf porridge for a while. Yes I carb count and use the Hedia app for dosage and correction dosage. Perhaps I should have injected more for the porridge. Checked my insulin pen and it’s working fine and I did replace the cartridge only yesterday

GuidingSenses

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
How long have you been using this cartridge?
The other thing I have found with Fiasp i that it does not last as long out of the fridge as NovoRapid. For me, it is ok for more than 2 weeks but not the 4 weeks I was comfortable with when using Novorapid.
Well I put a fresh cartridge in yesterday

GuidingSenses

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
At least you can discount “insulin going off because it’s been out for too long” from the long list of possible reasons for your high.

Finally lol after a dose
IMG_5214.jpg
of 2 units correction dose!

• Friendly
Reactions: In Response

Theresaconst

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all. Woke at 8 am with sugars at 8.8. I had porridge for breakfast and injected my Fiasp just 3 units instead of 4 as I knew I was going to the gym later. Arrived gym 12 noon. Sugars high 15 and usually they down rapidly with cardio. One hour later and a lot more exercise than usual they remained at 15!
2 pm injected 3 units fiasp correction dose.
Needed to eat so injected for my lunch carbs.
Just slowly going down now at 13.9 at 2.45 pm.
After breakfast on a gym day my sugars go down quickly but today is bizarre.
Advice welcomed

AA11

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi All,
Just joined. This is my first post. Its been a relief to find this forum, an oasis in the desert. Its brilliant and much of my questions I have had are being discussed. Over the past year have lost weight, ate keto with careful counting and increased exercise yet my Hba1c is still bordering/is pre-diabetic. This has been surprising and frustrating! The current thing I am questioning about what I am doing is whether I need to be more careful of the composition of each meal so this post by 'Guiding Senses' having a spike after eating porridge for breakfast is of interest. I recently watched youtube 'how to avoid blood sugar spikes( without reducing carb intake)' produced by 'nourishedbyscience' Disclaimer: This is NOT AIMED AT DIABETICS. But one of their tips seemed sensible advice and that was to avoid eating 'naked carbs' . It showed a graph showing in their case ( 1 person only!) the difference in eating porridge alone ( high BG spike) vs porridge with protein or oils, namely scrambled eggs ( much less of a spike). Looking back, I realised that I might not have always been careful about avoiding naked carbs despite at the end of the day my numbers of carbs being 20-50 g and the ratio of carbs, fat and protein being correct 10% 70% 20%. So I might have been spiking my BG, giving rise to continuing pre-diabetic levels of Hba1c. I welcome opinions on this and whether there has been discussion on this forum about what 'nourishedbyscience' is saying as it was a random internet find. My apologies if going over already things already discussed. Just point me to where I can find the discussion.

AA11

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Ummm just realized that this is Type 1 Diabetes forum so probably not a best place to post! Can someone help me and let me know where I could forward and get some feedback?

Reactions: Antje77

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Ummm just realized that this is Type 1 Diabetes forum so probably not a best place to post! Can someone help me and let me know where I could forward and get some feedback?
Hi @AA11 , what about copying your post and starting a new thread in one of the non T1 sections with your pasted post?
You can then delete your posts on this thread. :)

Reactions: AA11