Supplements to avoid Complications

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
There having been a number of topics on neuropathy and complications recently, I wondered if anyone had looked at supplements that may help avoid complications, that can be taken alongside trying to maintain a good glucose control.

In brief research, both on here and on the web, I've found that Benfotiamine and Alpha-Lipoelic Acid are both used as treatments for neuropathy, however, has anyone used them as a preventative measure?

Is it worth looking into some of these alternatives as ways of reducing the likelihood or impact of potential neuropathy later in life?

Reactions: Liftupjoe

dancer

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
If I had known that diabetes is a risk factor for osteoporosis, I would have made sure I started taking vitamin D3 long before I was diagnosed with osteopenia.

Reactions: 2 people

Diamattic

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have been doing some research in Nitric Oxide suppliments.

http://www.diabetesincontrol.com/burkearchive/summary.pdf

From what i have read, Diabetics seem to produce less NO then a non-diabetic. NO helps the blood vessels relax (vasodialate) and this results in lower blood sugars as the NO lets them absorb more glucose in the blood and promotes circulation to muscle and tissues. NO can help increase circulation, lower blood pressure and blood sugar, and lower heart rate as well as extend exercise duration and capacity.

I have been taking NO supplements for years now, even before diagnosis as they are frequently used in work-out supplements (usually with added caffeine to promote longer workouts). They can be bought at health food stores, or online, usually in the form of powders to take with water.

Personally i love these things! I have a couple preferred brands and so far have seen no negative side effects, and have seen a reduction in my BS (usually drops about 2-4 mmol/L so i get to have a free snack with it) and improved gym workouts for sure.

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I honestly can't remember what finally got me started taking nutritional supplements in my early 30s. From the beginning, I've always taken quality supplements. I started with a multi-vitamin, B-complex, C, E, calcium, and fish oil. The idea at the time was if I took supplements, that would get me functional enough to begin improving my diet. And for the most part, it worked.

The B-complex alone made a huge difference for me. Every time I ran out, the "brain fog" would return, so I didn't stay off it long.

Many years later, I learned that I have non celiac gluten sensitivity. At that point, I felt I finally had an explanation for why the B-complex helped me so much. (I probably wasn't absorbing nutrients well because I was still eating wheat, rye, and barley, oats and soy too).

I stopped taking supplements for a few years, and while my health improved eating a gluten-free diet, I slowly began eating more and more gluten-free sugary foods. This likely led to my diabetes, unknowingly, worsening. My health began to suffer.

Now I'm on the LCHF diet - (no grains, sugar, polyunsaturated cooking oils, beans, starchy vegetables or fruit) - and am eating whole foods, including vegetables with every meal. I'm also taking supplements again, this time organic, whole food supplements so I'm getting my vitamins, minerals, and more. I feel so much better.

Reading about dietary and other interventions for peripheral neuropathy. Hoping to have helpful information to share in the next few weeks.