Support Groups / Meetings

Hibby65

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Hi all

Anyone been to a local diabetic support group meeting?

I have wondered about going to one of these meeting - although I find these forums and chat rooms and forums great - I have also thought about going with my friend who is also type 2 - to a local meeting to listen and talk face to face - if we can find one.

Anyone been ?

jopar

Sadly the diabetic support group that ran for many years finished several years ago in our area..

But I would go, as meeting others is all good for the experience and they may have a tip or two to share as well

You could also have a tip or two to share with them,as there may well be many who do not have internet access.

Hibby65

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Thanks jopar

Ive tried to contact mine as advertised in at the hospital but so far an email and voicemail message has resulted in no reply

totsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
liars, animal cruelty
we have one at our nearest hospital once a month but havent been, altho if there was one nearer i would pop along and try it :)

ally5555

They are a useful place to meet others - in South Wales there are 2 active groups in Cardiff and Pontypridd. In fact the Cardiff group has a meeting in the summer on the Expert course.

Details are often posted in the local library - I saw a poster in my local chemist last week!

I have had links with the ponty group and they are great - it is often usefull actually talking to other diabetics. Some hospitals may run a group so it is worth asking.

Thirsty

Groups aren't my thing but according to my DSN, the support group held at my clinic is well-attended, and many people find it very helpful. No harm in trying, is there? It's not compulsory.

TROUBR

Type of diabetes
Type 1
There is a local group that advertise at my clinic. However, they meet at 2pm on a Friday which just is not feasible for me as I work full time. I wish there was something more accessible as I enjoyed my recent DAFNE course and the oppertunity to talk to others and learn from them.

Louise

Trinkwasser

Take your own food! (Advice from someone who attended one local group and found everything provided to be high carb low fat)

Bubsy Malone

Dislikes
Patronising people, fish and cold callers
Me and my mum went to one at the Coventry Transport Museum before christmas. This was the first time I have gone with her, my dad used to take her before he died.

leanne

HI ianD

can you tell me what the ones in hounslow are like, i am thinking about going to one but just not sure.
thanks leanne