Swedish diabetes association & LCHF

modesty007

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Yess, finally the Swedish diabetes associations (like DUK) recommends LCHF among others when it comes to dietary advice's in their brochure about food and diet called "Get inspired! What do we eat, we who are adult and have diabetes?", with stories from successful diabetes patients. You can try to google-translate this web site http://www.diabetes.se/sv/Diabetes/Egenvard/Kost/

Reactions: 3 people

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Yess, finally the Swedish diabetes associations (like DUK) recommends LCHF among others when it comes to dietary advice's in their brochure about food and diet called "Get inspired! What do we eat, we who are adult and have diabetes?", with stories from successful diabetes patients. You can try to google-translate this web site http://www.diabetes.se/sv/Diabetes/Egenvard/Kost/

Have you the right link?

'
Diabetes Association's approach to food
We at the Diabetes Association would be appreciated that everyone living with diabetes should get as good a life as possible. The path to the goal, however, look completely different, all is not good for the exact same diet, just as everyone does not benefit from the same type or dose of medication.We both want and need to accept that people are different. For some, it feels traditional diabetic diet is an obvious choice, while others are attracted more by the Mediterranean diet or LCHF. '

'
Suggested diets and food
The diets included in the Board's guidance is:

• Traditional Diabetic Diet
  • Moderate carbohydrate diet
  • Mediterranean Diet
  • Traditional diabetes diet with low glycemic index (GI Diet)
There is also support for certain food groups and beverages may be helpful in diabetes. These are vegetables, legumes, fish, whole grains, fruits, nuts and peanuts, limited amounts of alcohol and coffee. It may suffice to eat more of these things, while reducing other less suitable food.

Strict low-carb diet and other diets
Many of our members tell of other dietary attitudes that work well for them, so that strict low carbohydrate diet, LCHF (low carbohydrat high barrel), Paleolithic diet or 5 second These experiences should be utilized. According to the National Board is as yet unclear whether these diets are good in the long run in diabetes as it is still lacking sufficient scientific data and studies that assess the potential risks over a longer period. Knowledge of different dietary attitudes in diabetes will hopefully increase in coming years.'

Last edited by a moderator:

modesty007

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes, the brochure which can be downloaded have a couple of examples of diabetes patients eating LCHF and previously the association has been very very opposed LCHF, all though a couple of district/local organisations have been in the front-line and recommended LCHF. Of course they can't fully and warmly endorse it, they've been skeptical and resistant to long.
Out of the 6 patients in the brochure, one is eating LCHF and lost 30 kilos and one eating paleo/lchf, the others one Mediterranean, one 5:2, one low GI and the last one "the plate" similar to the healthy plate.

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
'Yess, finally the Swedish diabetes associations (like DUK) recommends LCHF'

So, not actually a statement of fact, (as it's officially 'unclear whether these diets are good in the long run' from your own link) just anecdotal from one patient in the monthly newsletter? (unless you count paleo as your second?)

Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against LCHF, but I do like facts, and I am a little bit pedantic when the evidence is in front of me, and it's clearly not matching the claims made, in any subject at all.
Maybe it's just me.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Whilst not advocating that any one persons dietary needs can be labeled. Simply because that would be pedantic and patronising.
Members have found through their own personal choice and experimentation that the 'Diabetic diet' is totally wrong for them and the majority of members have had their health and fitness vastly improved by disregarding the 'diabetic diet' and the information given by our healthcare operatives.

Personally, if not for my medication I couldn't ingest either carbohydrates nor glucose based substances.
I am catagorically dependant now on my inhibitors, and am currently indisposed to experiment more as my glucose tolerance has increased!

Simply put the nice guidelines are like putting petrol on a fire you are trying to put out and if (at last) an official diabetic body are recommending a certain diet because of their findings and the tide is turning in this country including my consultant, doctor and dietician for my condition and T2, can we accept that even though we have a choice in how much we low carb and how much fat we have, that a variance on a theme should not be condoned. It should be embraced as long as the message is open to choice!

Reactions: 3 people

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Sorry.
Quite simply.
They're not.

Each to his own though, if it suits you, go for it.
You don't need official approval, - it works for you.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Sorry.
Quite simply.
They're not.

Each to his own though, if it suits you, go for it.
You don't need official approval, - it works for you.
Don't get your your reply!
They're not.... What?

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
W....... and if (at last) an official diabetic body are recommending a certain diet because of their findings........

They're not recommending LCHF
as the link states.

'The diets included in the Board's guidance is:

• Mediterranean Diet
  • Traditional diabetes diet with low glycemic index (GI Diet)'

No LCHF diet in the list.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I didn't quote LCHF in my post as I believe as you do that it should be ones own opinion and judgement that is best for your health and well being!
You should not condone dietary advice just because it didn't work for you!

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I didn't quote LCHF in my post as I believe as you do that it should be ones own opinion and judgement that is best for your health and well being!
You should not condone dietary advice just because it didn't work for you!

You are posting on the right thread?

If you didn't mean to post on the LCHF thread, as per the title I can see why you are confused.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

That is great news @modesty007

Nice to see even small steps in the right direction. :D

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Brilliant news, (even if it isn't actually there, to be just a little bit pedantic)?

• Mediterranean Diet

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Brilliant news, (even if it isn't actually there, to be just a little bit pedantic)?

• Mediterranean Diet

In the context of @modesty007 's news, I feel her enthusiasm is fully justified. And I share it.

I'm also certain that your repeated posts trying to squelch that enthusiasm will not even dent her excitement.

Reactions: 2 people

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I'm sure they won't.
Personally, I'd just feel more excited if it actually did recommend it, rather than state it is as yet unclear whether these diets are good in the long run.
That's me though.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm sure they won't.
Personally, I'd just feel more excited if it actually did recommend it, rather than state it is as yet unclear whether these diets are good in the long run.
That's me though.

Don't worry about it.

Our delight isn't dependant on your input.

Reactions: 2 people