'Switch' in brain linked to weight gain.

Kansenji

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Being obese.
DAILY TELEGRAPH ARTICLE: (bold highlights added by me)

Scientists think they have found a "switch" in the brain that is linked to weight gain.
If it is faulty then rather than recognising that the body is full, the brain sends out signals to eat more and to store more sugars as fat.

The mechanism also has a direct link to obesity-linked disorders such as type 2 diabetes and heart disease, scientists believe. A study suggests that drugs could be used to suppress this switch and help people get back to a healthy weight.

Scientists working with mice made the discovery in the hypothalamus, a part of the brain that links the nervous system to the hormones affecting metabolic processes.
Among other things, the hypothalamus helps to regulate body temperature, hunger and thirst.

The switch, a protein complex called NF-kappaB, is primarily associated with the immune system. Scientists say that in the past it used to help the body fight infection, but it now influences food intake and metabolism. One of its effects is to create resistance to insulin and resistance to the "feeling full" hormone leptin, which controls appetite. This can lead to more food being eaten and the generation of obesity.

LINK: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/new...10/Switch-in-brain-linked-to-weight-gain.html

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
Well someone must have left my switch to on!!Those poor mice!!

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
My switch must be broken, I'm always cold. eI'm in a jumper when everyone else is in tee-shirts

Trinkwasser

Does anyone else groan inwardly when you read "in mice"?

I suspect because of their high metabolic rates and short life and high carb diet they may actually be designed to switch "diabetes" on and off to maximise stashing of excess food when available and utilisation of the stored body fat later.

Sedge warblers are small birds which breed in Europe and the UK and migrate across the Sahara to winter. Before migrating they can double their body weight.

Now they are insect-eaters. What I didn't realise until recently was that to do this they stuff their little faces with high carb insects: plum reed aphids are full of sugars from the plant juices they suck.

Throughout the rest of the year the have no "weight issues", they seem to turn this on in spring and autumn purely for migration purposes.

Like the mice whether there is any direct relevance between their biochemistry and ours is moot.

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
I just feel sorry for the mice,they must sit in their cages thinking WTH are they going to give us next!!

SilverAndEbony

If people only quote you results of animal trials it shows you how far advanced the research is - not far.
Before I get excited about research I like the research to have progressed a lot nearer to being tested in humans! I'm glad they prove the drug isn't fatal in mice before they move onto humans!

gillyh

Dislikes
arrogant drivers/people, ill mannered people, cruelty to people and animals, condescention
So who's going to volunteer to take the places of all those poor mice? :wink:

gillyh

Dislikes
arrogant drivers/people, ill mannered people, cruelty to people and animals, condescention
Illegal immigrants, paedophiles, murderers .... need I go on? :twisted:

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
I am most unmouselike, being both tall and junoesque in figure. I'm not sure that we should take much notice of work in mice. "THEY" don't consider the methods of carb digestion of non-human mammals. and tell us to eat the stuff. Give it to the poor little mice.

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Trinkwasser said:
They would probably do better studying elephants but then they'd have to build bigger labs

Not to mention much bigger cages!! :lol: :lol:

caitycakes

Pity they couldn't find the "switch" in the pancreas that causes diabetes and switch the **** thing off!!! lol

caitycakes x