1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2017 »
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

T1D medals

Discussion in 'Type 1 Diabetes' started by sue58, Mar 17, 2017.

1. GrantGam

GrantGam Type 1 · Well-Known Member

You'll look back on this post in 30 years time with a cheeky grin on your face @Robinredbreast:)

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  2. Robinredbreast

Robinredbreast Type 1 · Oracle

Wouldn't that be great :)

• Winner Winner x 1
  3. Chas C

Chas C Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I have about 3-4 years to go, pretty sure it was either December 1970 or 1971.

• Like Like x 3
  4. yingtong

yingtong Type 1 · Well-Known Member

My super DSN applied for mine 5years ago roll on 60 years this bloody disease ain't going to get me but I'm still fighting it,onward and upwards.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  5. Gaz-M

Gaz-M Type 1 · Well-Known Member

6 year for me hahaha

• Like Like x 2
  6. mahola

mahola Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I'm going to make myself a medal out of tin foil and sticky back plastic! I think I deserve one for dealing with 2 of us diagnosed within 5 days of one another. I wonder how many other families type 1 has effected that quick? We're just weird :D

• Like Like x 6
  7. noblehead

noblehead Type 1 · Guru
    Retired Moderator

Difficult to say but I wouldn't image they'd be many @mahola , that's just rotten luck :(

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  8. mahola

I did think it was horribly unlucky to begin with but now I feel very lucky. I get to travel this bumpy type 1 road alongside my beautiful daughter. :)

• Like Like x 2
  9. iHs

iHs · Well-Known Member

I haven't applied for a medal. Are they worth anything? Could I flog it and buy some sensors at all?

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Deb1million

Deb1million Type 1 · Member

Sorry, iHs, they're not real gold. I was unimpressed with mine, and the lettter was nothing special. Quite an anticlimax to my years of thinking I'd never make it, I've just left the medal in a drawer.
    I don't know why some people have an item in the newsletter, it's nothing special now that diabetes care has moved forward so far and we can all live a long life.

11. Dodo

Dodo Type 1 · Well-Known Member

image.jpeg

• Winner Winner x 1
  12. neels

neels Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I don't even know the exact date I was diagnosed, all my mum said was I was about 2 and a half years old when I ended up in hospital, which makes it around 1977. I don't think there is an exact date in my hospital files either!

• Hug Hug x 1
  13. Dodo

Maybe you should ask next time you go for your hospital appointment and if they don't have anything on file, tell them what you've told us and ask for 1977 to be put on file. Failing that your GP's records should show a date, as these records should always be passed on wherever you move to. Mine only state the year, but I remember the month as I missed my brothers' birthdays.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  14. neels

neels Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Thanks, but no one seems to have a date, they always ask me if I know when I was diagnosed!

• Hug Hug x 1
  15. Dodo

If your mother reckons you were two and a half go from that. Ask your GP to state it in your records and tell them that you have been asked for a specific year when applying for travel insurance etc (I am always asked this when I apply for any kind of insurance (travel, car, driving licence), so you really need to know. I knew the year I was diagnosed but the month was not on my records. All I knew was that I missed my brother's birthday and that was in the month of October. So when applying for my medals I entered October.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  16. Robinredbreast

Like the lady I know who has 4 children and three of them are type 1 :wideyed::( ( 1 girl and 2 boys)

• Hug Hug x 1
  17. Robinredbreast

My granddaughter was diagnosed at 2 1/2 years as well, she is 8 now.

In my hospital files, it says 1989, nothing else at all., it was in August. But, my new GP has now got me down as late onset type 2, November 24th 1992, I snitched on him last week at my hospital diabetes clinic and the hospital told me to take no notice of him lol

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. pinewood

pinewood Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Do you ever wonder if you were both exposed to something that "triggered" it? Seems so crazy you were both dx'd at the same time!

• Like Like x 1
  19. mahola

It's a possibility I suppose but just something we will never know for sure. I'm just glad I was diagnosed when I was. If I wasn't, I never would have been given my glucose monitor and would never have discovered her stupidly high BG levels and ketones which led to her diagnosis. :) She never suffered from DKA or was otherwise ill which was very fortunate.

• Like Like x 2
  20. PI3.14

PI3.14 Type 1 · Member

We have a similar scheme here in Australia called the "Kellion medal", named after a philanthropist whose son died of T1D complications. Medals are awarded for 50 (silver), 60 (gold) and 70 (platinum) years on insulin.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook