Tandem t slim pump

steveo4

On your pump settings personal profiles what are your basal units per hour. Mine is set at 5 units per hour? Because at the moment it's set at 3.5 and feel that this is too low.

eventhorizon

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. That's your background insulin. For some kind of reference mine runs from 0.7 units per hour to 1.3u/hr. Depending on the time of day. When making changes I will make small adjustments, say 10% max, and leave it a few days to settle, especially when dealing with basal insulin. Also using a Tslim!

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Regardless of whether we have a pump or inject, there is no correct dose of insulin for everyone so there is no point in comparing another person's dose.
For example, my basal varies between 0 and 0.6 units per hour at different times of the day and for different activities (I have multiple basal profiles set on my pump) which is relative low but I am smaller than most people and exercise a lot. It keeps me in range 80% of the time.
What makes you think your basal dose is too low? Is your BG rising? Have you done a basal test recently?

Reactions: EllieM

steveo4

I made a mistake in this post I thought there was a way to increase the bolus rate speed but because I'm on control iq it's set at 5 hours and there's no way to adjust it. I seem to be getting a lot of iob at the moment so will have to make a few adjustments.

Chas C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@steveo4 I'd got myself in a bit of a pickle with correction factors and insulin to carb ratio's on my t:slim. So this past autumn I went back to basics and reset my correction factor using the 100 rule and Insulin to Carb Ratio using the 500 rule.

Correction factor - divide 100 by your total daily insulin dose.
Insulin to Carb Ration - divide 500 by your total daily insulin dose.

I then adjusted for dawn increases.

It worked quite well for me fixed the high IOB's and resulting fast drops.

Last edited:

eventhorizon

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Are you new to pump therapy? I think you need to call your diabetes centre.

I'm not sure but the 5 hours you mention is not the bolus speed but how long a bolus remains having an impact on the blood sugars.

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes, not having Jaffa Cake
Are you new to pump therapy? I think you need to call your diabetes centre.

I'm not sure but the 5 hours you mention is not the bolus speed but how long a bolus remains having an impact on the blood sugars.

that would be correct..

In profiles the (timed settings) basal is how much you are given per hour

In profiles (pump settings) there is a max basal setting this is as it says the max you will be given per hour

HOWEVER… Regular basal does NOT show as IOB, only basal increases to treat high bg and boluses show as IOB. So if you have too iob showing one of your other settings us not correct Ie you are getting too much correction

One thing to remember the iob is calculated over 5 hours, so it is possible to have the pump show some iob, and for you to have actually use it

Personally I don't worry about the pump show iob, unless I'm having hypo issues

And you can call your team, or air liquide for support

Hopeful34

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
It's the number you ring to order pump supplies from @EllieM (unless you do it online or have an automatic delivery every 3 months), and also for 24/7 technical support.

• Informative

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes, not having Jaffa Cake
???
Is this a tandem support service? (I'm about to be starting on tandem on 25th March, so reading about tandem avidly....

in the UK the tandem dealer is air liquide. In other countries you may have other suppliers or tandem themselves

But in the info you were provided during training would have been the contact details to get support