Targets for pre conception

jade88

Such a difficult decision I think it's down to personal choice but in think they suggest pump when pregnant as it is supposed to make it easier to control your bloods?
Sounds like at the moment you have everything under control with injections - there could be a adjustment period with pump aswell which could mean your bloods jump around for a while?
I would say it can't hurt to find out all the facts - maybe get advice from a few diabetics who have used pump while pregnant? Good luck with whatever decision you make! xxx

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Mrsass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi everyone, hope you don't mind me jumping in your conversation, can't express how happy I am to come across this thread. I'm in the same situation as most of you by the sounds of it, I'm 28, been type 1 since I was 3yo and wanting to start a family, and I won't lie, I feel petrified after the horror stories I've been told, the constant reminders from diabetes nurse wen I was younger that I can't just 'decide to have a baby' and I don't really know where to start, I've lowered my bg range on my bm so I can at least impress my nurse with something when I tell her I want to start trying. Sorry for rambling just thought I'd throw it all out there. Oh I'm on a pump, got it in feb this year, love it as I was always 12/13+ with my morning readings when on mdi but not now, still not perfect bg's though but that's through my own laziness :-( x

1Sarah1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi ladies just thought I would share- I'm type 1 since I was 2years old. Now 34.I went on a pump about 4 years ago the best thing I could have done. I went to pre conception for about a year before trying to conceive my hba1c were between 7-8. I woke myself up (set alarm!) about twice a night as suffered badly from dawn phenomenon to tailor bs. Honestly I did put on weight as bs would often go low but I would prefer that to higher bs (should have bought shares in lucozade). I have a stressful career too so had to take the impact of that into account. I did get pregnant fairly quickly after discussions with my doc. It's amazing what knowing you are pregnant does- I've never had such good hba1c readings but I did have ups and downs and any highs did scare me!

It's alot of work but I now have a gorgeous daughter who is 9 months- I did have complications towards the end (pre eclampsia) so had to deliver early by section after being induced (standard for diabetics I think). I have only met 2 other type1s whilst I was pregnant- you go nearly every week to be monitored to hospital.

You need to avoid any peaks in bs- so following a low GI diet is best. I did stop exercising too as I couldn't cope with that impact on top of everything else but I suppose that's a personal decision.

You get used to your bs targets being low I never thought I would do it!! Also your insulin requirements go up, mine practically trebled by the third trimester so just to be aware.

I now don't have to set an alarm I have a baby to do that for me as I'm referred again for baby2 to pre conception!!

There is a likelihood that you might lose hypo awareness/not be able to drive. I did a full risk assessment early on at work(had to tell boss I was pregnant at only 5weeks!).

Good luck everyone, I'm still on mat leave and it's the best thing ever!

Cloe-1992

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey welcome , don't be silly . It's great for everyone to join in , going to be such a big journey everyone needs as much support as possible .

Sounds brilliant that you have already lowered your bms , is a good starting point . What was your latest hba1c .
I've just been offered the pump for pregnancy , and I am thinking about accepting l what pump do you use ?

:):):)

Cloe-1992

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi ladies just thought I would share- I'm type 1 since I was 2years old. Now 34.I went on a pump about 4 years ago the best thing I could have done. I went to pre conception for about a year before trying to conceive my hba1c were between 7-8. I woke myself up (set alarm!) about twice a night as suffered badly from dawn phenomenon to tailor bs. Honestly I did put on weight as bs would often go low but I would prefer that to higher bs (should have bought shares in lucozade). I have a stressful career too so had to take the impact of that into account. I did get pregnant fairly quickly after discussions with my doc. It's amazing what knowing you are pregnant does- I've never had such good hba1c readings but I did have ups and downs and any highs did scare me!

It's alot of work but I now have a gorgeous daughter who is 9 months- I did have complications towards the end (pre eclampsia) so had to deliver early by section after being induced (standard for diabetics I think). I have only met 2 other type1s whilst I was pregnant- you go nearly every week to be monitored to hospital.

You need to avoid any peaks in bs- so following a low GI diet is best. I did stop exercising too as I couldn't cope with that impact on top of everything else but I suppose that's a personal decision.

You get used to your bs targets being low I never thought I would do it!! Also your insulin requirements go up, mine practically trebled by the third trimester so just to be aware.

I now don't have to set an alarm I have a baby to do that for me as I'm referred again for baby2 to pre conception!!

There is a likelihood that you might lose hypo awareness/not be able to drive. I did a full risk assessment early on at work(had to tell boss I was pregnant at only 5weeks!).

Good luck everyone, I'm still on mat leave and it's the best thing ever!
That's brilliant reading all your information , every bit of information helps . I had my first pre conception clinic today and got given the go ahead . Was very shocked but now debating wether to go onto the pump as I've said previous for pregnancy . So think I might go onto this first and settle in then try as sounds as is really does work. .

:):):)

1Sarah1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I'm on medtronic minimed pump. It did take a bit of getting used to - I was on injections for 30 years and didn't really want to change but it has helped me regulate - previously on lantus. I don't think I could have maintained required pregnancy control without it.

All the midwives were fascinated as they don't see them and I was adamant I was going to control it and not go on sliding scale. I've also just had to have big surgery (not pregnancy related!) and used my pump rather than sliding scale.

My baby is currently trying to grab my phone- she isn't a sleeper!! I think she wants to say hi and yes it's worth it

Cloe-1992

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Such a difficult decision I think it's down to personal choice but in think they suggest pump when pregnant as it is supposed to make it easier to control your bloods?
Sounds like at the moment you have everything under control with injections - there could be a adjustment period with pump aswell which could mean your bloods jump around for a while?
I would say it can't hurt to find out all the facts - maybe get advice from a few diabetics who have used pump while pregnant? Good luck with whatever decision you make! xxx

They say it can be done on both , I got the option can go on one now , go on one if I need to during pregnancy or could stay on injections if I could keep that good control . Yeah I got told by my nurse normaly takes a few weeks to adjust insulin ect , but others have said longer . A lot of people have said to make that switch and go on to pump , one minute I think I will do it then I question it . If you was given them options what would you pick. Good luck on your journey .
Thank you :):):).

Cloe-1992

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm on medtronic minimed pump. It did take a bit of getting used to - I was on injections for 30 years and didn't really want to change but it has helped me regulate - previously on lantus. I don't think I could have maintained required pregnancy control without it.

All the midwives were fascinated as they don't see them and I was adamant I was going to control it and not go on sliding scale. I've also just had to have big surgery (not pregnancy related!) and used my pump rather than sliding scale.

My baby is currently trying to grab my phone- she isn't a sleeper!! I think she wants to say hi and yes it's worth it
That's what makes me question , as I'm happy with my control on injections very happy with it , but have also been told that it's all going to change during pregnancy , could I still keep it on injections or would the pump do best . Sorry sounds like I'm asking you , I mean that's what I'm trying to decide now lol .
Well done you for staying on your pump must of felt like a big achievement !
Hi lol .
Thank u for your reply .

jade88

So great to hear from someone who has recently gone through the pregnancy roller coaster congrats on the birth of your daughter!
There are so many things to consider its so overwhelming! Making the decision to have a baby is hard enough but then all this other stuff to take into account!
Still not sure about the pump think I would prefer to control with injections but that's me personally! I guess you have to do what's best for you! xxx

Reactions: 2 people

reidergirl

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Congratulations Chloe, personally I'd do what you feel most comfortable and confident with, if you think you're better sticking to injections right now do that, you can always go on the pump if you find it isn't working. My bs and Hba1c are too high right now but now I have the relevant information I can really start to concentrate my efforts to reduce them.

Reactions: 2 people

Cloe-1992

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Defiantly agree is good to hear from someone who has achieved it all and has got the proof right in front of them hehe . Congratulations .

And thank you so much for the last two replies , I've had a long chat with my fiancé , and I got myself upset and all sorts lol , all over the bloody pump thing !! But your both so right in what you have said which makes me even more sure . I feel most confident on my injections I know how to change it , I just really understand the way I'm doing it , so makes sense not to change it , me just having a moment lol :oops: .
It really does sound good when others talk about it , then I think and i mean really think and it being on me, it doesn't work lol. feel a lot more better in myself now .
And to hear what you've both said about trying on injections first , woo my decision back on track so thank you lol .

Reidergirl - I think it's brilliant though , that your being sensible and wanting to do whats bests for both you and the potential baby , it's great you want to lower bms to lower hba1c . It's still all a big and good step in the right direction. :joyful::joyful::joyful:

Mrsass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I'm on Medtronic mini med pump also, if you have good control with mdi I'd probably say stick to that, if I had good control I wouldn't have went on a pump but no matter what I tried I just couldn't get my morning bg down. I really wasn't keen on the idea of a pump to start with my friend (male) has one n says it's life changing, but I think it's easier for boys with a pump cos my biggest problem I've had with it is where the hell do I put it when I wear a dress!! :arghh:

Cloe-1992

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm on Medtronic mini med pump also, if you have good control with mdi I'd probably say stick to that, if I had good control I wouldn't have went on a pump but no matter what I tried I just couldn't get my morning bg down. I really wasn't keen on the idea of a pump to start with my friend (male) has one n says it's life changing, but I think it's easier for boys with a pump cos my biggest problem I've had with it is where the hell do I put it when I wear a dress!! :arghh:
Thank you for your input . I can see what your also saying , I have got a very close friend , who worked with me and my diabetes ever since I was little and I'm still in contact with him today . I have been talking to most of the night , and his said not to pressure myself and do what I want to do . But he said it will be very beneficial for me and for the baby , and it really is worth considering , he said it can be done on injections but it's harder .
And I want to do whats best so I seem to be swinging more towards a pump , And I am under a nurse who is very knowledgable of June pumps so I'm in good hands . I'm not a dressy person , so that wouldn't bother me lol , but not so good for you :(

Mrsass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Yeah they do say it's best thing for you to have I think that maybe played a part in my decision to get one as I knew at some point soon I would want to start planning. I wore a maxi skirt yesterday and a little top n just put the pump on the outside of my skirt, people thought I had a pager lol

Cloe-1992

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yeah they do say it's best thing for you to have I think that maybe played a part in my decision to get one as I knew at some point soon I would want to start planning. I wore a maxi skirt yesterday and a little top n just put the pump on the outside of my skirt, people thought I had a pager lol

Yes that's the whole reason I'm thinking about it , I mean there so happy with me to try . But has said they can not guarantee that control during my pregnancy and need a lot of changes ect , and will be easier on pump . Have been told I would not qualify for one after pregnancy , but I'm hoping she will find a way that I could stay on it . Would hate to go on to come off , but also want to do whats best health wise .
Oh no haha !! That's funny , I've heard you can get a bra pouch , think I'd like to do that one lol .

:wacky:

Mrsass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
That would be a shame if you did get one then couldn't keep it after you had a baby! If you do get one, personally I would say ask for steel needle cannula's, I started off on plastic cannula's which were a nightmare for me, I don't know anyone else that's had problems with them but apparently once you are pregnant you need steel ones because of how hard your stomach gets. Bit fiddly to start with and I was a little scared if the thought of a 'steel needle' inside of me 24/7 but they are marvellous! :)

Cloe-1992

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
That would be a shame if you did get one then couldn't keep it after you had a baby! If you do get one, personally I would say ask for steel needle cannula's, I started off on plastic cannula's which were a nightmare for me, I don't know anyone else that's had problems with them but apparently once you are pregnant you need steel ones because of how hard your stomach gets. Bit fiddly to start with and I was a little scared if the thought of a 'steel needle' inside of me 24/7 but they are marvellous! :)

Yeah that does make me question , but all things I can ask again . She said there might be away around it by sighning and sticking to a contract . And maybe the high rise in bms in the morning would help with that too . And find my bms annoying when exercising , so maybe there may be a few points . Oh really !! See I thought I would of liked the idea of the tube more than the needle lol , it all freaks me out tbh , but so did injections when I first got diagnosed so it's because it's all new and is the unknown . But they do sound like they are worth going through the scary stage lol .
I have rang my Dsn and left a message and she will hopefully get back to me .
:wideyed:

Mrsass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Good idea! Let me know how you get on, I was 100% freaked out at the thought of it, would it be uncomfortable, in the way, how would I sleep with it, etc etc but you don't even know it's there! Worst bit is when you have to change your cannula every few days the sticky plaster thing that keeps it in place is VERY sticky! But you soon find your own way of taking it off :)

Cloe-1992

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Good idea! Let me know how you get on, I was 100% freaked out at the thought of it, would it be uncomfortable, in the way, how would I sleep with it, etc etc but you don't even know it's there! Worst bit is when you have to change your cannula every few days the sticky plaster thing that keeps it in place is VERY sticky! But you soon find your own way of taking it off :)

I came off of here for a while and it's great to hear all the advice but I thought I need to do what is best for me . Like really best for me .
I've got the control on the injections have done for a few years . And I'm prepared to put the work in on the injections .
I've got my self in a right panik , I've even been getting upset the thought of changing it all I actually cried , idiot . All because the thought of the pump. Infusions sites , infections , higher risk of dka , I've never thought of it before pre pregnancy so . And learning it all new. I think for me my personally choice I feel like I want to stay on injections and try my hardest on these first I have read stories and it is do able . If this changes during pregnancy then it has to be changed for the health . But I already feel calmer and less stressed thinking to stay on injections , been worrying that much bms have been high !! Not cool .
I'm so sorry for all the questions and changing my minds ect , but is such a big thing for me . As I can be a bit of an idiot with thinking .
Thank you all so much for replying and listening to me ramble on !! :oops::oops::oops:

Feel more confident and back on track , with trying for pregnancy . I hope we can all stay in contact and help each other through our journeys
Thank you thank you thank you hehe

Smiles again lol :):):)

jade88

Don't be silly it's a massive decision to make and not something to rush into! Like you said once pregnant if you struggle you can always try the pump!
Quick qu girls - since tightening my bs I've found I have put on weight- anyone else had this issue? x