Thank you!! Please read if you are a regular T2 poster.

Sam72

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I was diagnosed in sept this year with hba1c of 13.9. I joined this form in a panic and found loads of really good practical and supportive advice. I cut my carbs to 60g a day or below and increased fats. I bought a meter and tested how different foods affected me. (Some surprises- good and bad!) I followed the stories of loads of people on here and posted occasionally and got really useful advice that was never patronising or judgemental.

3 months later my hba1c is 7.1 and I'm delighted!!!!!! I've lost over a stone and reduced my cholesterol.

Aiming for 6.5 in next 3 months and to lose the final bit of weight. The doctor said my control was quote "excellent" and to carry on. Resisted the urge to tell him that he told me my LCHF approach was ridiculous and dangerous 2 months ago ( but I think he remembers!)

Just wanted to say thank you to the people who regularly post and have kept me inspired and on track probably without knowing it.

Reactions: 34 people

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Sam,

Very well done, that is excellent news and a great Christmas present for you. Big clap from me. Isn't it great when results are "one in the eye" for our doctors! Good luck for the next 3 months. Also remember, no matter what help you receive from the forum, it is you alone that did all the hard work, so be proud of yourself.

:):):):):):):)

Reactions: 9 people

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I was diagnosed in sept this year with hba1c of 13.9. I joined this form in a panic and found loads of really good practical and supportive advice. I cut my carbs to 60g a day or below and increased fats. I bought a meter and tested how different foods affected me. (Some surprises- good and bad!) I followed the stories of loads of people on here and posted occasionally and got really useful advice that was never patronising or judgemental.

3 months later my hba1c is 7.1 and I'm delighted!!!!!! I've lost over a stone and reduced my cholesterol.

Aiming for 6.5 in next 3 months and to lose the final bit of weight. The doctor said my control was quote "excellent" and to carry on. Resisted the urge to tell him that he told me my LCHF approach was ridiculous and dangerous 2 months ago ( but I think he remembers!)

Just wanted to say thank you to the people who regularly post and have kept me inspired and on track probably without knowing it.

Very, very well done Sam. Without meaning to insult you by stating the obvious, you have virtually halved your score!! That has to be outstanding.

The frustrating thing is that the medics need to comply with the NICE guidelines must mean the newly diagnosed are confused, at best, and can be discouraged from following what we believe to be such a logical approach.

You've had a lovely early Christmas present, so enjoy and best of luck for next time around.

Reactions: 2 people

Sam72

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks #Bluetit1802 and #and breathe

I started listing people who had really helped me and you were one of them but then got worried I'd miss someone out!

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.
Brilliant Sam, congratulations, great effort :)

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks #Bluetit1802 and #and breathe

I started listing people who had really helped me and you were one of them but then got worried I'd miss someone out!

It's best not to pick people out because sometimes the quietest poster can make the most meaningful contribution moment, and hey presto, there's an epiphany moment.

The beauty of here, in my view, is there's almost always someone around who has either walked or is learning to walk the walk. Nothing beats personal experience.

Reactions: 6 people

Clivethedrive

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Jogging
Well done Sam::))) you are heading in the right direction congratulations and happy Christmas

izzzi

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Well done Sam, I bet your Doctor has so much respect for you, like we have.
Keep up your great results.:):)

pavlosn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
ImageUploadedByDCUK Forum1418827035.742682.jpg

Now keep doing what you are doing!

Reactions: 4 people

VinnyJames

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
That's truly magnificent Sam. You will inspire others with this example.
I've never seen a drop that dramatic.
Well done.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The doctor said my control was quote "excellent" and to carry on. Resisted the urge to tell him that he told me my LCHF approach was ridiculous and dangerous 2 months ago ( but I think he remembers!)

This is the bit I like most. Possibly another convert (The doctor I mean).. Well done Sam.

cold ethyl

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Great news. Well done. And hopefully your Dr will start to question whether he is doling out the best advice in future.

alliebee

I heard some great news today. Regulars know my gp is a type 2 who follows Lchf himself but up to now he has had trouble getting his partners at the surgery to come on board. But today the surgery has instructed our two DNs to advise there are 2 diets to help bring bs down. The low GI diet is well known but the other is lchf..its going to be up to individuals to decide for themselves. Diet sheets have been printed out. My gp has had such astounding (his words) results from patients who are compliers it could no longer be ignored...let's hope the word gets out there soon for people to realise they can take control back..

Reactions: 12 people

cold ethyl

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I heard some great news today. Regulars know my gp is a type 2 who follows Lchf himself but up to now he has had trouble getting his partners at the surgery to come on board. But today the surgery has instructed our two DNs to advise there are 2 diets to help bring bs down. The low GI diet is well known but the other is lchf..its going to be up to individuals to decide for themselves. Diet sheets have been printed out. My gp has had such astounding (his words) results from patients who are compliers it could no longer be ignored...let's hope the word gets out there soon for people to realise they can take control back..

That's really great. And the more GPs that are prepared to give it a go and then advocate it as an option the better. What persuaded your GP to try it, do you know?

alliebee

Yes I do. His wife wanted to lose weight after her second baby and her gym instructor suggested a ketogenic diet. Low carb higher fat....she lost 3 stone in a matter of months. My gp tested her bgs also and started to see how well she looked and felt and her fasting bg had come down although she wasn't diabetic her levels were higher due to insulin resistance. He started to read up on Diet Dr and other sites and decided to try himself after the healthy plate obviously wasn't working for him...within 3 months he had lost weight his lipid levels has improved so much..and best of all his HBA1c had come right down...initially his partners said it was a faddy diet. But the results from his patients and myself included ( my MS improved too) persuaded the surgery to give a further option...my friend had her diabetic review today and got home quite excited with a new regime to try

Reactions: 6 people

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well done Sam this is amazing! (Though I am not at all surprised, I knew you would do it!) Brilliant, thanks for sharing with us. :)