The Hyper effect

Colquig

Type of diabetes
Type 1
9/10 before and after meals on a fairly regular basis is too high...
These are the NICE guidelines... they say max after a meal is 9.0... for many of us that is far too high.

Blood glucose targets1.6.13 Advise adults with type 1 diabetes to aim for:a fasting plasma glucose level of 5–7 mmol/litre on waking anda plasma glucose level of 4–7 mmol/litre before meals at other times of the day. [new 2015]1.6.14 Advise adults with type 1 diabetes who choose to test after meals to aim for a plasma glucose level of 5–9 mmol/litre at least 90 minutes after eating. (This timing may be different in pregnancy – for guidance on plasma glucose targets in pregnancy, see the NICE guideline on diabetes in pregnancy.) [new 2015]1.6.15 Agree bedtime target plasma glucose levels with each adult with type 1 diabetes that take into account timing of the last meal and its related insulin dose, and are consistent with the recommended fasting level on waking (seerecommendation 1.6.13). [new 2015]

Libres have been given to many patients for them to trial. And yes the reader is good. I only have one hand to test my fingers on so it has been great for me as I test 10-15 times a day...so my few usable fingers were really sore.

Not only the levels but you should be trying to keep your readings altering by minimal amounts. Ideally if you measure pre meal and after meal you would want to see less than a 2.8 rise or drop in levels really. Its the swings that can cause probs. Hypo's can be more "harsh" the quicker levels are changing...

I agree totally. And I know in terms of the hypos and the knock on effects. Thanks again for all of that very relevant info - relevant indeed to my own particular needs. Still struggling to get a handle on the photo!! Will need assistance on that front.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Ha!!! Ref photo... I haven't updated my contact details etc on forum for 5 years like the signature, where I live etc as I can't remember password and the email I used 5 years ago is well and truly defunct. So not a hope in hell on advice for photo.

I just hope you change a few things and believe in yourself that your hba1c can definitely be lowered and helped with different choices etc....