The usefulness of forums

Rintintin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
This is my first post on here but have been intensively lurking and avidly reading these forums since diagnosis, although I am not the first to post this sentiment I would just like to say a massive thank you to everyone on here who have without knowing it helped me get from a diagnosis HBA1c of 88 at the end of May to today's result of 32. Without all the advice, information and personal stories I would have not have had the chance to learn how to deal with the diagnosis. Initially I was despondent and felt guilty for getting into this situation, I still haven't been able to talk to my family and friends about it but, after reading all I could from here and other sites I changed my diet ten weeks ago and with keeping carbs lowish (about 30 a day) and a little bit of intermittent fasting I started to see results in weight loss and reduction in glucose readings. It's been a rocky road at times with occasional days of eating wrongly, but from reading success stories on here and being reassured that my experiences are not unique and my pesky raised after exercise and high morning numbers are a normal phenomenon, I have been able to slog on and get the prize of a HBA1c that I daredn't think possible.

To all those just starting out on this journey please take heart that there is the chance of a positive way forward, even though at times you may not think it will ever apply to you when you are looking at high numbers on your machine and don't believe they will ever come down. Keep on going and eventually enjoy the little victories along the way like seeing your first 5mmol or needing the next notch on your belt, it's not always an easy journey to make but whichever way you want to fight this you can get to where you want to be however long it may take.

Finally, another heartfelt thank you to those regular posters who have unknowingly helped, educated or encouraged me and probably so many others out there.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
Welcome to the forum - and congratulations on your low HbA1c. :)

AM1874

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Not much
Hi @Rintintin .. and welcome
Well done and many congrats on your excellent HbA1c results .. and your generous, supportive comments to other newly diagnosed folk :happy::happy:

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Great news @Rintintin well done.
Please keep posting and stay around to encourage and inspire others.

Reactions: ickihun

wookie101

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hey - Nothing wrong with lurkers all support is welcome and well.... Amazing work!

woodywhippet61

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you for posting this. I am glad that I checked the forum and didn't just go off to bed now. I've hit one of those low points and have been very demoralised from reading a different topic on here and was wondering what is the point. Stupid but that's me.

Well done with lowering your numbers. Very inspirational

Kentoldlady1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Thank you for posting this. I am glad that I checked the forum and didn't just go off to bed now. I've hit one of those low points and have been very demoralised from reading a different topic on here and was wondering what is the point. Stupid but that's me.

Well done with lowering your numbers. Very inspirational

I am having a sleepless night and was thinking much the same as you. I joined this forum in ( I think ) july this year, after being dx in june, so a relative newby. The advice support and encouragement I have personally received, to say nothing about the amount I have learnt in just 12 weeks, has been amazing.

I am so impressed by the way some members of this forum are not only trying out various methods of controlling t2d but are also willing to post about it and share that experience.

As a new.t2d on this forum I have never felt pressured or overwhelmed with information and recommendations. As a grown up I am completely capable.of ignoring advice I dont agree with. Which is exactly what I did re the eatwell guide. I am grateful to those who do post new research. I am grateful to those who debate that research. In fact I am grateful to everyone who has asked or answered a question. It really doesn't matter if I agree or not, all knowledge is useful.

So thank you, rintintin, for posting this.

And a big well done on those numbers. I am sooo jealous. I only got mine down to 39!

Edit for spelling.

Butterfly1960

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am having a sleepless night and was thinking much the same as you. I joined this forum in ( I think ) july this year, after being dx in june, so a relative newby. The advice support and encouragement I have personally received, to say nothing about the amount I have learnt in just 12 weeks, has been amazing.

I am so impressed by the way some members of this forum are not only trying out various methods of controlling t2d but are also willing to post about it and share that experience.

As a new.t2d on this forum I have never felt pressured or overwhelmed with information and recommendations. As a grown up I am completely capable.of ignoring advice I dont agree with. Which is exactly what I did re the eatwell guide. I am grateful to those who do post new research. I am grateful to those who debate that research. In fact I am grateful to everyone who has asked or answered a question. It really doesn't matter if I agree or not, all knowledge is useful.

So thank you, rintintin, for posting this.

And a big well done on those numbers. I am sooo jealous. I only got mine down to 39!

Edit for spelling.
Yes! I concur with all that and more!! :cat:
this forum and all it's various threads have been so helpful in so many ways!:happy:;)
I too have trouble sleeping.... tonight cos the wind so very rough (50+ MPH) :wideyed::eek:
and many nights/mornings I've been on the forum, usually just reading the seemingly endless posts on the very many varied threads ;):) there always seems to be someone up and posting any time of the day/night! :cool::bookworm::writer:
I too am a relatively new comer to the forum (July 2017) :confused::wacky::D:playful: but have been welcomed by so many members :):angelic:
This morning from about 1.30am, I've been fluttering between a few different threads :borg::cat:
all have been supportive and helpful in different ways, and distracting me from the wind trying to lift the roof off!!:nailbiting::eek::wideyed:
My next HbA1c will be in the New Year...... can't wait to see the difference between diagnosis numbers and the new numbers!! :watching::cool: it's been so encouraging reading the posts of those diagnosed a few months to their fantastic figures!! :p:D
Thanks everyone! ;):cat:

Reactions: Glenmac

Glenmac

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Well done, so encouraging to read your success story,great results!Welcome to the forum,I hope you will continue to post!

Last edited:
Reactions: Guzzler
S

Sean01

This is my first post on here but have been intensively lurking and avidly reading these forums since diagnosis, although I am not the first to post this sentiment I would just like to say a massive thank you to everyone on here who have without knowing it helped me get from a diagnosis HBA1c of 88 at the end of May to today's result of 32. Without all the advice, information and personal stories I would have not have had the chance to learn how to deal with the diagnosis. Initially I was despondent and felt guilty for getting into this situation, I still haven't been able to talk to my family and friends about it but, after reading all I could from here and other sites I changed my diet ten weeks ago and with keeping carbs lowish (about 30 a day) and a little bit of intermittent fasting I started to see results in weight loss and reduction in glucose readings. It's been a rocky road at times with occasional days of eating wrongly, but from reading success stories on here and being reassured that my experiences are not unique and my pesky raised after exercise and high morning numbers are a normal phenomenon, I have been able to slog on and get the prize of a HBA1c that I daredn't think possible.

To all those just starting out on this journey please take heart that there is the chance of a positive way forward, even though at times you may not think it will ever apply to you when you are looking at high numbers on your machine and don't believe they will ever come down. Keep on going and eventually enjoy the little victories along the way like seeing your first 5mmol or needing the next notch on your belt, it's not always an easy journey to make but whichever way you want to fight this you can get to where you want to be however long it may take.

Finally, another heartfelt thank you to those regular posters who have unknowingly helped, educated or encouraged me and probably so many others out there.
Good to hear. You are now the inspiration for others to follow. Welcome.

Rintintin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you all for your very kind comments, if my post has any way helped anyone newly diagnosed then it's good to know the inspiration I gained has been passed on.
It's been an interesting experience for me as a nurse seeing the process from a patients viewpoint, I am trying to tactically educate my diabetic nurse, especially after she believed my raised morning numbers could only be caused by me drinking sweet drinks at bedtime, even after I insisted I wasn't eating or drinking after 7pm!
I guess the next steps for me are not becoming complacent, carrying on with the changes I've made and possibly becoming slightly less obsessive with testing. Fortunately my GP is fairly compliant so I've requested another HBA1c before Christmas just to check on things.

Reactions: Kentoldlady1

KathyCP

Type of diabetes
Type 2
That's a great story, you've turned things around really quickly, hope you're very proud of yourself.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Well done. That is an inspirational story.
Please keep posting - it will help you as well as others. It is so easy to become complacent, but this forum reminds us all that we need to stay on the wagon, and in my opinion, keep testing.