Theresa May (MP)

Ambersilva

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I believe it is true that there was nothing beforehand.

I was diagnosed Type 1 at the age of 63. There was a build up for about six weeks beforehand where I felt absolutely dreadful. I couldn't manage a dozen stairs without stopping halfway.

mcdonagh47

Ambersilva said:
I believe it is true that there was nothing beforehand.

I was diagnosed Type 1 at the age of 63. There was a build up for about six weeks beforehand where I felt absolutely dreadful. I couldn't manage a dozen stairs without stopping halfway.

she lost two stone in weight and media alleged she was slimming for a leadership bid - no it was diabetes.

she was diagnosed as Type 2 last year but that was changed on further tests.

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
Hi All .

I was told I was Type 2 initially .
Turns out I am latent slow onset Type1 .
Must admit I have had to push/insist on further investigation

I was 46years old - got it after battling off both pneumonia and septis infections .
Lost weight, was so weary/tired, drinking loads, kept repeatedly needing the loo etc.
My bones and feet ached so much I was downing pain relief .
They kept saying it was because I had been so ill . :shock:
I accepted this in lieu of the illnesses prior to my diagnosis .

Was sleeping more than was awake :oops:
They then said it was my hypothyroidism :shock:
I accepted this as after tests, I did need more thyroxine meds 'increasing' upwards .

It was when I wouldn't leave my GP alone - he ran the tests to shut me up!
That it was finally all revealed .
Was I mad ? I was blazing :evil:

Severe illness can be a trigger .
Maybe she had been ill with something recently ?
Without knowing ALL medical factors its hard to be specifically accurate .
I say this - given my 'own' case and story .

Anna .

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
I was wondering, as she was initially diagnosed as a Type 2? she could possibly be Type 1.5, LADA/MODY?

I was diagnosed at the age of 31.

All the best RRB

angieG

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I was 46 too when type 1 confirmed after being 'supposedly type 2' for about 18 months. It all kicked off after having a dose of a flu / tonsillitis type virus.

seems there's a lot of it about :lol:

Angie

Pepsi Max

I was diagnosed at 23. Was told it was late too... I would giggle every time the nurse or Dr would call it juvenile diabetes! I do have a baby face :)

Diabetic warrior since 2005!

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
angieG said:
It all kicked off after having a dose of a flu / tonsillitis type virus.

Never let my mother hear you say that! I've had trouble with my tonsils since I was a baby. They refused to take them out, she is adamant that my body was so busy fighting tonsillitis that it couldn't fight whatever was messing with my pancreas. I have to keep remind her she isn't a doctor and there is no proof that is anything to do with it!!

I was diagnosed in February..... I had my tonsils removed 10 days ago haha

angieG

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
hale710 said:
angieG said:

Never let my mother hear you say that! I've had trouble with my tonsils since I was a baby. They refused to take them out, she is adamant that my body was so busy fighting tonsillitis that it couldn't fight whatever was messing with my pancreas. I have to keep remind her she isn't a doctor and there is no proof that is anything to do with it!!

I used to get tonsillitis as a child and my Dad always caught it from me.....we used to drive my Mum mad as the only thing we both ever fancied was Walls Strawberry Split lollies so Mum was forever going up the lane to the shop to buy some for us!! :lol:

Hope your throat is feeling better now by the way.
Angie

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
angieG said:
hale710 said:
angieG said:

I used to get tonsillitis as a child and my Dad always caught it from me.....we used to drive my Mum mad as the only thing we both ever fancied was Walls Strawberry Split lollies so Mum was forever going up the lane to the shop to buy some for us!! :lol:

Hope your throat is feeling better now by the way.
Angie

I used to love those ice lollies!

Throat is almost back to normal now. Got another week off work though :p

happycat

I wonder what made them look further into her diagnosis? Presumably her blood glucose levels did not get lower? Is that what happens if you are type 1 and not type 2? I have a personal interest as I was diagnosed as type 2 last September. We don't have any diabetes in our family and I was not overweight. I have lost about 35 lbs in 10 months, so I am now underweight, blood sugar is lower though. One of the doctors said that it might be type 1.5 but my own GP would not investigate it and said the treatment is the same and if you don't get better we will know. However, can't say that I feel unwell and never have done except when I had 'flu earlier this year. :?

angieG

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
happycat said:
I wonder what made them look further into her diagnosis? Presumably her blood glucose levels did not get lower? Is that what happens if you are type 1 and not type 2? I have a personal interest as I was diagnosed as type 2 last September. We don't have any diabetes in our family and I was not overweight. I have lost about 35 lbs in 10 months, so I am now underweight, blood sugar is lower though. One of the doctors said that it might be type 1.5 but my own GP would not investigate it and said the treatment is the same and if you don't get better we will know. However, can't say that I feel unwell and never have done except when I had 'flu earlier this year. :?

I was fine for about a year (honeymoon period and still producing some insulin) but after a while my morning levels started to get higher, going from regular 5's to 6's then 7's etc until they would not get lower than 8 most mornings despite upping all tablets to maximum doses). Anything I ate put my levels high, I could be about 8 before eating and have about 5g of carbs (say a salad) to eat and it would put me up to about 15.
My HbA1c went from about 5.6% to 86 (in new money) and rising by the week. I got down to just under 7.5 stones giving me a BMI of about 17 by the time I went to see the Consultant. By then I also had keytones of about 4.5 too!! A GAD test proved positive at 1943, confirming type 1.
Regards
Angie