To Take or not to Take

Kenny3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
This is a variation on the famous phrase from literature "to be or not to be" In this case it refers to my tablets and whether or not to take them when I go on holiday. Since getting diagnosed with Diabetes in November of last year,I have taken 2 holidays,each of 5 days duration and I never took my tablets and felt no ill effects. However, in 2 weeks time I am off to Spain for 10 days.This time I am going to take them with me and will consume them as I have an appointment at my surgery 3 days after I get back.I have one of these tablet dispensers which contain a weeks supply(I will put extra in to cover the extra 3 days) I will be putting them in the suitcase which will be going into the hold as I anticipate possible problems with the customs especially at the Spanish end if they are in the cabin bag. On a different track, I won a large box of chocolates via a Nectar draw run by British gas.The chocolates are similar to the soft centred ones you get in Cadbury`s Milk Tray. That gave me a problem. Do I take them into my workplace and give them to the office girls,or do I eat them myself? After thinking about it for a nano second,I am going to eat them myself as I have been very good in sticking to my diet and exercise, and my weight is down to under 13,5 stone. So I deserve a treat. Won`t eat them all in one session though,it will be over a period of days, :) Kenny

Ann1982

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Do not put your tablets in the hold. They should be with you in cabin baggage. I have been abroad many times Spain included and never once encountered any problems with customs on either side and that includes carrying syringes, insulin pens etc. Enjoy your holiday and as for the chocolates be generous and share.

Reactions: dbr10

Art Of Flowers

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Forget the chocolates. Give them away. They are only going to do you harm.

librarising

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I won a large box of chocolates via a Nectar draw run by British gas.
I also won some choccies in the same draw, but they haven't arrived yet.
Are they targeting diabetics (for the lolz) ?
Are BG really working for Big Pharma ?
Has my postman eaten my chocs ?

A curious mind wants to know !
Geoff

AM1874

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Not much
Hi @Kenny3 ..
To be on the safe side, there are several advisories that you need to deal with .. eg: you need to take a copy of your prescription or a doctor's letter; your meds should be in their original containers with a label identifying the dispensing pharmacist .. and some others. Have a look at ...
Taking Prescription Meds on Holiday

And, like @Art Of Flowers said .. ditch the chocs .. they won't do you any favours and the girls in your office will love 'em ;)

Reactions: Williwonker

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
I also won some choccies in the same draw, but they haven't arrived yet.
Are they targeting diabetics (for the lolz) ?
Are BG really working for Big Pharma ?
Has my postman eaten my chocs ?

A curious mind wants to know !
Geoff
I am your postman and they were delicious. :)

Reactions: mentat and dbr10

vekay

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
If travelling to countries like UAE, the medication should be in original packaging and should have the GP letter. Or else you risk being jailed.

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
This is a variation on the famous phrase from literature "to be or not to be" In this case it refers to my tablets and whether or not to take them when I go on holiday. Since getting diagnosed with Diabetes in November of last year,I have taken 2 holidays,each of 5 days duration and I never took my tablets and felt no ill effects. <snip>

Diabetes (I am assuming T2) is subtly dangerous because you generally don't feel any ill effects until you have done serious and often irreversible damage to yourself.

I must ask if taking your tablets immediately after diagnosis made you feel very much better? Most people seem to have no major good/bad feelings apart from those who take statins (where most people seem to be one of the "official" few who have side effects).

Which tablets are you (not) taking?

Are you testing your Blood Glucose to confirm that stopping the tablets makes no difference?

If you are considering eating a box of chocolates I think you may still be in denial, which is to be expected if you have been diagnosed for 6 months or less.

I have been in various stages of denial for 10 years and have only just got my HbA1c down to non-diabetic levels.

Kenny3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Diabetes (I am assuming T2) is subtly dangerous because you generally don't feel any ill effects until you have done serious and often irreversible damage to yourself.

I must ask if taking your tablets immediately after diagnosis made you feel very much better? Most people seem to have no major good/bad feelings apart from those who take statins (where most people seem to be one of the "official" few who have side effects).

Which tablets are you (not) taking?

Are you testing your Blood Glucose to confirm that stopping the tablets makes no difference?

If you are considering eating a box of chocolates I think you may still be in denial, which is to be expected if you have been diagnosed for 6 months or less.

I have been in various stages of denial for 10 years and have only just got my HbA1c down to non-diabetic levels.

Don`t know about denial but I gave the chocolates to my cousin because I tried one and it was horrible. The holidays I went on,
I did not take any tablets,but next week when I go to Spain I am packing my tablet dispenser which I will use.My most recent (yesterday) blood sugar reading was 4.7 and this morning my blood pressure was 144/55 and the weight was 13.5 stone. down from 15.5. I have an appointment at my medical centre when I return from Spain Kenny