To test or not to test

paula121s

Hi,

I was diagnosed last year as type 2. So I immediately went out and bought a test kit and started checking my bg. I then saw my DN and she said I don't need to test.

I recently had a couple of quite big ops on my spine 2 weeks apart. This then sent my bg very high at 17. The dr in hospital told me I need to check it regularly so I know what it is.

I am slightly obsessed with it at the mo and despite being on 1000 metformin a day can't seem to get it lower than 9.

What do you all do?

Thanks in advance.

Reactions: ziggy_w

Voodoorising

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Paula121s, I was diagnosed Sept 16 and also told not to test and to eat healthy and everything in moderation.

I ignored that advice in the main and bought a meter. I was testing initially 6 times a day before and 2 hrs after every meal. I found this invaluable and informative friendly site/forum and learnt about the LCHF diet and gave it ago and learnt allot about food and how it reacts with my body and BS's. I now test 3 times a day morning when I get up and before and after my evening meal as I know what I eat in the day I am ok. The Metformin alone won't bring your BS's down. Carbs are our demons and maybe lowering them will help.

I am sure you will get more help and advice soon from others. Good luck.

Reactions: librarising

Enclave

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Paula, As testing is the only way we can see if what adjustments to our diet is working .. so please do test.
I don't know what your eating at the moment but the low carb high fat way of eating worked for me .. as carbs will turn to sugar when eaten !! the high fat bit for me was just not eating anything low fat .. olive oil and coconut oil are great for good fats.
The pain, medication and trauma from your operations will also help raise your sugar levels. As others have said Metformin will not lower your blood sugars.
As time goes by and you learn what is causing you (food wise) to still be high in blood sugars you will be able to test less .. 3 years ago I was testing 8 times a day .. now I test once or twice a week .. Please try not to stress as stress also will raise blood sugars !!

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
if you don´t already count your carbs , that is definitely worth doing, and get your proteins in the level your body needs , one need around 0.8-1 gram of protein pro kg bodyweight .. if one eat far too much protein our liver also converts this protein into glucose.. if doing a lot of muscles building one needs more like 1.5-2 grams pro kg bodyweight ...

when it comes to carbs try get lower than 100 grams a day, that helps most, some need to go even lower like around 50 grams a day. I exercise a lot and have found that to help me so that I can most days handle around 150 grams of carbs...So you see the level is individuel and connected to how high ones insuline resistance is and of cause also to what size one is build to be.. a person of 50kg will many times handle less carbs than a person of 150kg ...but not if one has servere insuline resistance and/or if the pancreas is very damaged from having had very high blood glucose for a very long time.
1 egg is around 7 grams of pure protein

Last edited:
Reactions: Voodoorising

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
1000 mg of metformin is also not a very high dose, I get 2 x 850mg even with a rather low HbA1c of 36

you could ask to have your level of metformin raised to 3 x 500mg or more

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Testing is essential otherwise you are working blind, but you need to be organised with it. Random tests tell you nothing. You need to be able to learn from them.

Test:
before you eat
2 hours after first bite

Look at the rise and try to keep it under 2mmol/l, preferably under 1.5mmol/. Keep a food diary including portion sizes and record your levels alongside. Look for patterns - which foods are causing rises? They will be the carbs because all carbs convert to glucose once inside the system, and that is what we do not need. You can them eliminate some of these carbs or seriously reduce the portion sizes.

Metformin does very little to lower blood sugar levels. Diet is the key.

leslie10152

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Ignorance
Hi,

I was diagnosed last year as type 2. So I immediately went out and bought a test kit and started checking my bg. I then saw my DN and she said I don't need to test.

I recently had a couple of quite big ops on my spine 2 weeks apart. This then sent my bg very high at 17. The dr in hospital told me I need to check it regularly so I know what it is.

I am slightly obsessed with it at the mo and despite being on 1000 metformin a day can't seem to get it lower than 9.

What do you all do?

Thanks in advance.
Don't sweat it. When you become obsessed with BGL's it becomes harder to get the results you want. Count your carbs, have plenty of fluid intake, and above all....RELAX! I have experienced readings 30+!!!. That is scary. I have learned to be optimistic regardless of the outcome.

Reactions: Gannet

RosieLKH

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
In answer to your thread title - yes, test.

I think 'slightly obsessed' is often the norm when we first start testing, and is really the only way you're going to get to know what effect your food is having on your BS, then you can make adjustments.

I've found keeping below 80g of carbs a day is fine for my BS, but below 50g a day helps me lose weight, so for me, what I stick to depends on how I'm feeling at the time. Upping and then upping my medications over years did nothing at all to bring my BS down. Only lowering my carb intake has done that.

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi @paula121s
Testing as advised by @Bluetit1802 will give an understanding of the foods you need to restrict.
I understand how difficult it can be to get control after being immobilised by surgery. Hospital food didn't help me much either. I started by testing regularly before and then 2 hours after food, daily. Later, I reduced the testing to a few days a week, or if I had eaten something I hadn't tested for a while.
It is possible to bring blood glucose levels down with changes to diet, if you can increase exercise gradually that will help too, but diet, testing blood, and making adjustments is the key.
I notice that you are new to posting here. Just in case you haven't seen it already I will tag @daisy1 who will soon post her information for new members.

Reactions: Bluetit1802

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I got bored with regular testing quite quickly (understatement), but i kept doing it until i felt i understood what was happening. And why.

If you are still getting numbers higher than you want, then keep testing as long as it is helping to increase your blood glucose control. By that, i mean that there is absolutely no point in testing the same bacon and egg breakfast 50x in a row and tracking the resulting 0.1 mmol/l variations. That is a waste of time, effort, money and test strips after the tenth day :)

On the other hand, if you are actively engaged in finding the way your body responds to different meals, portions, food combinations and discovering how to get control of your T2, then test test test. Every result will help you understand and get that control.

'Getting obsessed' is an excuse that NHS staff use to justify not giving meters to type 2s. Personally, i don't think obsession is ever a good thing, but i can appreciate 'careful attention to detail' and 'consistent management of blood glucose' if it means i will still have my eyesight, my feet, and a pair of functioning kidneys, in 30 years time... :)

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
I like others who have posted believe that testing and diet are the key to good control.

Do not rely on metformin to control your blood sugar it helps but not that much. I have known people who thought that once put on metformin they could eat what they like they found to their cost they where wrong.

your diabetes is your condition own it.

Reactions: Bluetit1802

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
@paula121s

Hello Paula and welcome. Here is the Basic Information we give to new members and I hope this will help you. Ask questions when you need to and someone will answer you.

BASIC INFORMATION FOR NEW MEMBERS

Diabetes is the general term to describe people who have blood that is sweeter than normal. A number of different types of diabetes exist.

A diagnosis of diabetes tends to be a big shock for most of us. It’s far from the end of the world though and on this forum you'll find well over 235,000 people who are demonstrating this.

On the forum we have found that with the number of new people being diagnosed with diabetes each day, sometimes the NHS is not being able to give all the advice it would perhaps like to deliver - particularly with regards to people with type 2 diabetes.

The role of carbohydrate

Carbohydrates are a factor in diabetes because they ultimately break down into sugar (glucose) within our blood. We then need enough insulin to either convert the blood sugar into energy for our body, or to store the blood sugar as body fat.

If the amount of carbohydrate we take in is more than our body’s own (or injected) insulin can cope with, then our blood sugar will rise.

The bad news

Research indicates that raised blood sugar levels over a period of years can lead to organ damage, commonly referred to as diabetic complications.

The good news

People on the forum here have shown that there is plenty of opportunity to keep blood sugar levels from going too high. It’s a daily task but it’s within our reach and it’s well worth the effort.

Controlling your carbs

The info below is primarily aimed at people with type 2 diabetes, however, it may also be of benefit for other types of diabetes as well.

There are two approaches to controlling your carbs:
  • Reduce your carbohydrate intake
  • Choose ‘better’ carbohydrates
Reduce your carbohydrates

A large number of people on this forum have chosen to reduce the amount of carbohydrates they eat as they have found this to be an effective way of improving (lowering) their blood sugar levels.

The carbohydrates which tend to have the most pronounced effect on blood sugar levels tend to be starchy carbohydrates such as rice, pasta, bread, potatoes and similar root vegetables, flour based products (pastry, cakes, biscuits, battered food etc) and certain fruits.

Choosing better carbohydrates

The low glycaemic index diet is often favoured by healthcare professionals but some people with diabetes find that low GI does not help their blood sugar enough and may wish to cut out these foods altogether.

Read more on carbohydrates and diabetes.

Over 145,000 people have taken part in the Low Carb Program - a free 10 week structured education course that is helping people lose weight and reduce medication dependency by explaining the science behind carbs, insulin and GI.

Eating what works for you

Different people respond differently to different types of food. What works for one person may not work so well for another. The best way to see which foods are working for you is to test your blood sugar with a glucose meter.

To be able to see what effect a particular type of food or meal has on your blood sugar is to do a test before the meal and then test after the meal. A test 2 hours after the meal gives a good idea of how your body has reacted to the meal.

The blood sugar ranges recommended by NICE are as follows:

Blood glucose ranges for type 2 diabetes
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 8.5 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (adults)
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 9 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (children)
  • Before meals: 4 to 8 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 10 mmol/l
However, those that are able to, may wish to keep blood sugar levels below the NICE after meal targets.

Access to blood glucose test strips

The NICE guidelines suggest that people newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes should be offered:

• structured education to every person and/or their carer at and around the time of diagnosis, with annual reinforcement and review
  • self-monitoring of plasma glucose to a person newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes only as an integral part of his or her self-management education

Therefore both structured education and self-monitoring of blood glucose should be offered to people with type 2 diabetes. Read more on getting access to blood glucose testing supplies.

You may also be interested to read questions to ask at a diabetic clinic.

Note: This post has been edited from Sue/Ken's post to include up to date information.

Take part in Diabetes.co.uk digital education programs and improve your understanding. They're all free.
  • Low Carb Program - it's made front-page news of the New Scientist and The Times. Developed with 20,000 people with type 2 diabetes; 96% of people who take part recommend it... find out why
  • Hypo Program - improve your understanding of hypos. There's a version for people with diabetes, parents/guardians of children with type 1, children with type 1 diabetes, teachers and HCPs.