Totally confused by GP today

Rustytypin

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi again, Michael, I see you have had Daisy1's post, it gives you good advice, esp. Get a BG testing meter! That way you can soon tell what to eat, and yes we all have had to give up food we like! In my case it was home-made bread amongst a lot of other things. But I value my health more than ice cream!
The main section of this site has a lot of info, also follow the links the more technical people on the site post, they are very helpful.
I probably spend hours a week researching, and am still learning loads after 18 months.

Reactions: OrsonKartt

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
You just have to bear in mind that all carbohydrate turns to glucose once digested (even before that). That is, ALL carbs. Not just sugar or white bread. As T2 diabetics and pre-diabetics struggle to deal with glucose, it makes sense not to add to the problem by eating too many carbs. The more carbs we eat, the higher our blood glucose levels will be. Dietary fats do not raise blood glucose at all, so as far as diabetes is concerned, it is safe to eat fats.

It won't take you long to learn that the NHS handles T2 diabetes and pre-diabetes very badly, particularly when it comes to dietary advice. This forum is the best place to learn how to manage matters, and there are a variety of ways, but at the end of the day we mostly agree that carbs cause the problems. How many and what kind you can eat depend on many factors. The best way to find a diet that suits you personally is if you buy a blood glucose meter. You can then test before eating and again 2 hours after first bite. This will show you at a glance what that meal has done to your levels. Record all this information in a diary alongside the food you have eaten, and pretty soon patterns will appear enabling you to either reduce the carb portion size or eliminate some completely. If/when you get a meter we can explain further about this.

Reactions: dbr10

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
A pre diabetes diagnosis indicates you have lost around 50% of your beta cells. The diabetes diagnosis indicates the loss of around 80% of them. You will come across quite a lot of discussion relating to the possibility of these cells regenerating themselves. The suggestion is that early diagnosis and immediate action to turn the situation around could yield positive results. It could be that the beta cells will not be able to regenerate if they have spent a prolonged period in a high blood glucose environment.

Hi Covknit - Do you have a link to the paper/articles giving those percentages of beta cell damage? I can't say I recall having read anything putting such definite numbers of beta cell fatigue/function, but I'd like to read about it, please.

Arlmy

Welcome to the forum Michaelf
I was told my HbA1c is 42 in November this year - this forum is very supportive
Here is my two pence worth
As part of a low calorie breakfast I have porridge four spoonfuls of Oats with blueberries or raspberries with a spoonful of Greek yogurt and a few pecans in 150 ml of milk
I use chai seeds to make easy low cal puddings
I also add a spoonful of vinegar to my salads, lots of green veg with fish, green beans,chicken or eggs as protein
I eat sweet potatoes, and make my own spelt and rye bread
I am still experimenting with food
I tried celery with peanut butter as a snack today and found it very tasty
I drink a lot of green tea and coffee

michaelf

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Thanks everyone for info
Now a stupid question?
People on this forum tell me to get a meter to self test
When I look at meters suggested on this forum I am confused about how it works and what strips/needles I have to purchase to make it work?
Sorry if my ignorance is looking silly, but I haven't a clue what to buy to make it work?

MinaRotter

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hello out there
I have almost zero knowledge of this subject, but went to my |GP for blood test results after having suffered UTI pain and infection and fatigue for 2 months
He asked me jif I had a sweet tooth and that the HBA1c test came back with a 43 reading and that I had pre diabetes!!
All my other blood tests were normal and I left
I went on this website and I haven't a clue what to do now
Yes I have frequent urination which I assumed was some form of urinary tract infection
Yes I am exhausted every day
I cant work out whether these symptoms are UTI or pre diabetes
Any advice on what it is sensible to do from now on as this is day 1 of the diagnosis and I am panicking
Hi. Has your GP done or requested a glucose tolerance test? I presume by pre-diabetes he means that you have glucose intolerance but this diagnosis can't really be made from a HbA1c, it can be suspected but really you should have an OGTT (oral glucose tolerence test).

An OGTT will make the distinction between a diagnosis of glucose intolerance and type 2 diabetes, the treatments will differ significantly.

I assume you are overweight (the main trigger for developing type 2 diabetes - other than family history that you obviously can do nothing about).

The main thing to concentrate on is weight. Weught loss would be great but at the very least don't put any on. Other than that reduce your risk factors for all the diabetic complications- mainly by living a healthy lifestyle- stop smoking (if you do), reduce fat intake (lowers cholesterol), exercise regularly (lowers BP, improves cholesterol balance and promotes weight loss). This advice is for glucose intolerance and diabetes. If it turns out you actually have diabetes, you will also need to start a carbohydrate controlled diet, probably metformin, a statin and aspirin but this can be discussed with your GP.

Last edited:

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Regarding meters I have an SD Code Free from Homehealth. It’s a popular one as the strips are among the cheapest. The starter kit includes 10 lancets and ten test strips, these won’t last long so it’s probably best to order extras. Here’s a link to the website:
https://homehealth-uk.com/product-category/blood-glucose/blood-glucose-monitor/
Here are some discount codes which can be used over and over if you buy in bulk:
5 packs 264086
10 packs 975833

Reactions: dbr10

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
As your Hba1c is only slightly raised just cutting back on a few densely carb foods will do the trick if you are lucky.
I was a full blown diabetic with Hba1c of 91, but by getting a meter I was able to see what foods elevated my blood glucose levels - all the things which make be put on weight (no surprise there then) I am eating low carb foods and watching my weight drop, but I have not seen my doctor since diagnosis.
For me oats, blueberries (the highest sugar content berry) are not on the menu - sweet potato - super high readings for almost 24 hours - but I am a diabetic, I just don't look like one, don't test like one as long as I eat few carbs and keep my blood glucose normal.

Reactions: OrsonKartt

Alison Campbell

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks everyone for info
Now a stupid question?
People on this forum tell me to get a meter to self test
When I look at meters suggested on this forum I am confused about how it works and what strips/needles I have to purchase to make it work?
Sorry if my ignorance is looking silly, but I haven't a clue what to buy to make it work?

There is no such thing as a stupid question, any questions can be helpful to others.

The meter kit will come with a few strips and lancets, the meter and a lancing device. Also lots of instructions leaflets. The strips like printer ink cartridges will only work with the meter they are assigned to. I tested a lot to start with until I found a meal plan. I then stopped but restarted again when things started to slide in the wrong direction.

It also makes sense to buy the lancets that work with that lancing device. Some don't work so well with other lancing devices. The lancets like strips are single use but some members reuse the same lancet, this is a hot topic discussed every now and then on the forum.

This info might be helpful. http://www.diabetes.co.uk/blood-glucose/blood-glucose-testing-for-type2-diabetes.html

Reactions: ringi and Rachox

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Remember that it has been now proved 100% that "Beta cell dysfunction" can be reversed to a large extent in most people who have had Type2 for no then a few years if the fat is removed from the Beta cells. Both "very low carb" diets and "very low calorie" diets seem to work for this. Maybe even a moderate low carb diet will work given enough time.

It has also been proven that any reduction in carbs/suger is lickly to result in losing fat from the liver and hence reduce inslin resistance. Hence it is best to start by reducing carbs before considering if other options like the Newcastle Diet is right for you.

jwongcsp

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
People who are not willing to give up sugar, starches, fizzy drinks, and processed carbohydrates.
Maybe I am in denial, but I cant help thinking that one blood test result of 43(idont know exactly what that figure is sopposed to prove) means that I have pre diabetes
I suddenly have to confront the fact that all the food I love is bad for me and I don't like it!!!
I am totally shocked by today and hope that tomorrow it will all sink in because I never even imagined that I had a serious illness
I am really grateful to all of your replies and I am sure you remember how shocked you were when first told about this illness,and I am shocked!!!
<
Not at all surprised or shocked. Diabetes runs in my family. I knew I would have it someday. I just didn't know when that diagnosis from my GP would come. For me, it came 13 years ago. I'm male, 170cm my weight at the time was 70kg. As you can see I'm not considered over weight. But my blood glucose was high enough to be pre-diabetes. Fortunately, I've always been active. I had to learn what foods to eat and what to avoid. I'm not taking any medication for diabetes. I stay active, avoid sugar and processed carbohydrates. (I must admit, I did eat some processed carbohydrates and sweets during the holidays) Today, I'm going back to my intermittent fasting routine. To "clean things up" by my next follow up test in April/2018.