Train Driver

Caseyjones37

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi. Not been on here in quite a while. I’ve been driving trains for over 30+ years & have today just been put on insulin as a type 2 diabetic. Obviously a possible game changer for career & future plans. Awaiting the fallout when I inform my employer tomorrow. Any Train Drivers on here using insulin? Would appreciate some info on what to expect in the way of restrictions & likelihood of being removed from my job. Worrying times. Any help appreciated. Thank you.

Caseyjones37

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi. Not been on here in quite a while. I’ve been driving trains for over 30+ years & have today just been put on insulin as a type 2 diabetic. Obviously a possible game changer for career & future plans. Awaiting the fallout when I inform my employer tomorrow. Any Train Drivers on here using insulin? Would appreciate some info on what to expect in the way of restrictions & likelihood of being removed from my job. Worrying times. Any help appreciated. Thank you.
Now been stood down from my job & in limbo as far as info goes on the likelihood of me being able to drive trains again.

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
This is an old thread from a different site. https://forum.diabetes.org.uk/boards/threads/train-driving-with-type-1-diabetes.3242/page-4
In 2016, some one taking insulin was allowed to keep their job as a train driver.

I recommend talking to your union and the Diabetes UK helpline. They offer an advocacy service. If you can drive a lorry, fly a plane and be a firefighter and paramedic, it seems wrong to me (with no experience and completely ignorant in the topic) that you should not be allowed to drive a train. However, I would expect that you will need to prove good diabetes management for a number of months which may mean taking a short break to build up that history.

Caseyjones37

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
This is an old thread from a different site. https://forum.diabetes.org.uk/boards/threads/train-driving-with-type-1-diabetes.3242/page-4
In 2016, some one taking insulin was allowed to keep their job as a train driver.

I recommend talking to your union and the Diabetes UK helpline. They offer an advocacy service. If you can drive a lorry, fly a plane and be a firefighter and paramedic, it seems wrong to me (with no experience and completely ignorant in the topic) that you should not be allowed to drive a train. However, I would expect that you will need to prove good diabetes management for a number of months which may mean taking a short break to build up that history.
Thank you for your reply. I am in the midst of doing just that. Contacting ASLEF to inform them of the situation & to get guidance on the latest rulings. I have been stood down whilst occupational health & my company confere. I expect to be off work for a period of time to allow medication to settle down. The biggest issue I have is there appears to be little to no up to date info on what is required to meet whatever standard is needed & how practical it will be considering the job I do. I have come across nobody driving mainline trains in my position. Advice from the medical side is very clinical & how these decisions made by other people who do not know a thing about me may well affect my career & future direction that my family & I travel. Empathy & common sense can go along way. In saying that I too need to be realistic in my expectations…but its hard when your future security maybe taken away from you. Regards.

dancer

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Perhaps your GP/hospital could prescribe the Freestyle Libre for you. The new one (Libre 2? 3?) alerts you to low blood sugars. This should be in your favour in the decision made. Having said that, my cousin, a pilot, was grounded for a year when diagnosed Type 1.

• Useful
Reactions: Oldvatr

Caseyjones37

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Perhaps your GP/hospital could prescribe the Freestyle Libre for you. The new one (Libre 2? 3?) alerts you to low blood sugars. This should be in your favour in the decision made. Having said that, my cousin, a pilot, was grounded for a year when diagnosed Type 1.
I’m hoping that whoever makes the decisions will have a number of options for me. Occupational health will now have access to my medical records so… Right now I’m just very much in the dark as to what is going to be. I’m not going to get answers that I want straight away which is desperately frustrating for me. It’s probably going to take a few weeks before I start to get answers. I have another appointment with the diabetic nurse in a week…thats all that is on the horizon right now. You know…when push comes to shove I have nobody else to blame for this but myself. Yes the nature of the job is being sat down for hours on end, shift work & irregular eating & sleeping patterns but I could have done more to help myself over the years. Tomorrow never comes with me only now its arrived, been & gone & I’m left in a mess of my own making. Wish I paid attention to my diabetes years ago when I really should have.

Outlier

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It's not a done deal. Once you have the information you need, you will be able to improve things. How much is unknown yet but any improvement is positive. And we are all here for you. Don't blame yourself for what is past - be proud that you are getting hold of this and improving the future. You've had the darkest hour - welcome the dawn.

Caseyjones37

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It's not a done deal. Once you have the information you need, you will be able to improve things. How much is unknown yet but any improvement is positive. And we are all here for you. Don't blame yourself for what is past - be proud that you are getting hold of this and improving the future. You've had the darkest hour - welcome the dawn.
Your support very much appreciated. Regards.

• Friendly
Reactions: lovinglife

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
I assume that you will need time to adjust to the new medication, and also demonstrate that you can detect and treat hypos.
I have no idea how long this will take, but I guess that your employers and union will have guidelines.
Is there scope for you to work with another driver until you have confirmed that you can manage your insulin?

Caseyjones37

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I assume that you will need time to adjust to the new medication, and also demonstrate that you can detect and treat hypos.
I have no idea how long this will take, but I guess that your employers and union will have guidelines.
Is there scope for you to work with another driver until you have confirmed that you can manage your insulin?
At the moment I have no idea what the parameters are for a train driver in my position. Having been stood down from all duties & awaiting Occ Health & my employer to consult with each other along with my Union & possibly my doctor I am somewhat outside the ‘loop’ until a decision is made by those that have the authority to make them. It’s a waiting game now.