Type 1 Travel

rob_o

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi

Ives looked around and don't seem to have found an answer.

I'm travelling to Italy in July and requested a letter from my GP in order to carry sharps on the plane.

What do I do with the used sharps while I'm away? I'm happy enough to take a sharps box with me, but will they allow the contaminated sharps box to be brought back on to the plane or will I have to dispose of it prior to travelling to the airport or even in the airport itself?

I'm sure someone's had this experience can they share so I'm prepared?

Thanks in advance.

Rob

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi @rob_o - to be honest I never carried a sharps box abroad with me, i'd simply keep items i'd used in a bag, pack into main hold rather than with me in hand luggage and dispose at home, you don't really need a doctor's letter if I am going to be totally honest, I got one when I was first diagnosed and have never been asked for it when flying, they see a few come through so are used to see us :)

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
I don't think it's too common, but a hotel in Grand Canaria actually took all my used sharps away from me at checkout and disposed of them. Could be worth asking!

Other than that, I agree with the advice above from JJ.

D

Deleted Account

I have rarely been asked for my doctors letter. However, I have been asked a couple of times so would never travel on a plane without one.
As for sharps, I just use a plastic bottle and, like @Juicyj says, put it my hold luggage to dispose of when I get home. The size of the bottle depends on how long I am going away - a cosmetic bottle (think Body Shop travel shampoo) is big enough for the weekend (and easy to carry around in my hand luggage) and a small water bottle is big enough for a couple of weeks.
I have never experienced any problem with my used sharps.

leslie10152

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Ignorance
Traveling with sharps can differ from country to country, so make sure you do your homework before you travel. Rather safe than sorry. Some prescription drugs can land you in hot water if you are not aware of local laws. In Greece - you can not have paracetamol without a perscription when entering the country. Beware!!!

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
I pack a 1litre sharps bin. That way used sharps are contained And labelled if I am searched. It has never presented a problem (yet).

rob_o

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I'm only travelling with hand luggage, I'm travelling cheap!! I'll stick with a sharps box that's empty so that at least it's labelled and if they want to take it off me at the airport on the way home they're more than welcome to it!!

Reactions: Diakat