Tresiba Basal Insulin

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Morning all,

Just been reading up on the different basal insulins on the market as my Levemir is somewhat starting to annoy me lately...

Seems like this "Tresiba" is the latest basal released by Novo Nordisk and seems to boast a very flat and prolonged profile with a need for only one daily injection. Could this be the first basal that actually only needs one injection?

Would be interesting to hear from anyone who is on this insulin as to what it's like. I'm currently on Levemir, split dose but morning spikes are becoming a total pain.

Not only is Tresiba more expensive but it's not available in Scotland due to economic factors... I don't get the NHS sometimes.

Anyway, would be good to hear from you!

Regards,
Grant

Last edited by a moderator:

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
A point I would make is that your basal needs change throughout the day, between day and night being the most common difference....

So is a single injection actually the best option for anyone.....food for thought....

regarding the spikes in the morning, have you confirmed these are related to your Levemir....? Spikes are usually associated with the intake of carbs/bolus....

Reactions: 2 people

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yeah I understand what you're getting at. My basal is an equal split though. I need the same when sleeping as I do going about my normal day.

No my AM spikes are a combination of DP and Levemir weaning off at the end of one of its 12 hour doses.

Grant

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I see, I had the exact same problem as you......

I took my evening Levemir right befor bed to help with the DP.......so an uneven split, with the day time dose effectively finishing before the evening came in, compensated with a little extra bolus at dinner....

when do you take your Levemir doses....?

when do you normally wake?

robert72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
hi @GrantGam1337

Just to day I have been using Tresiba for 2 years now and find it has very flat profile and lasts a lot more than 24 hours, so you only need one shat a day. My basal needs seem to be constant throughout the day and night so I am quite happy with it. Whilst I don't get dawn phenomenon, I do get a waking rise, but I just bolus for that when I get out of bed.

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I see, I had the exact same problem as you......

I took my evening Levemir right befor bed to help with the DP.......so an uneven split, with the day time dose effectively finishing before the evening came in, compensated with a little extra bolus at dinner....

when do you take your Levemir doses....?

when do you normally wake?
Yeah I had a go with your approach, I made a thread on it a few weeks back and posted my graphical results. The overlap of basal was useful and did make some difference.

I work away from home though so when I'm home, I'm not waking early. It's therefore not practical for me to inject at 11pm and then wake myself up at 7am for an injection. At work it's fine (because I'm up early), but when I'm home I do like a lie in:)

Grant

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
hi @GrantGam1337

Just to day I have been using Tresiba for 2 years now and find it has very flat profile and lasts a lot more than 24 hours, so you only need one shat a day. My basal needs seem to be constant throughout the day and night so I am quite happy with it. Whilst I don't get dawn phenomenon, I do get a waking rise, but I just bolus for that when I get out of bed.
Maybe it'll be available in Scotland once we've caught up with the rest of British society...

Sounds like a nice insulin, I've not read much in the way of negative reviews.

Cheers,
Grant

robert72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Maybe it'll be available in Scotland once we've caught up with the rest of British society...

Sounds like a nice insulin, I've not read much in the way of negative reviews.

Cheers,
Grant
I think the only negatives would be if you workout and need to adjust basal to compensate, or if you didn't have a flattish basal requirement throughout the day.

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I think the only negatives would be if you workout and need to adjust basal to compensate, or if you didn't have a flattish basal requirement throughout the day.

which I would argue everyone needs to some degree or another....;)