Tresiba insulin

martina

Hello, I'm just looking for some advice. My daughter has been having a lot of hypo's during the night so her nurse suggested a switch to tresiba insulin. My daughter is 13 and I wondering what other peoples experiences of this insulin were. Thanks Martina

Bic

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hello, I'm just looking for some advice. My daughter has been having a lot of hypo's during the night so her nurse suggested a switch to tresiba insulin. My daughter is 13 and I wondering what other peoples experiences of this insulin were. Thanks Martina
Hi Martina,
I have been using Tresiba for some two years now and I think it works wonderfully: fewer (almost none) night hypos and it helps balance overall BG much better. I am aware that things can be different for someone else (I am much older than you daughter and certainly lead a different life), but as far as my experience goes, Tresiba proved to be a very good change from Lantus. Worth a try.

robert72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @martina

I have been using Tresiba for just over 2 years and find it to be very flat overnight (and during the day). Certainly worth trying.

kaymck

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hello Martina, just wanted to say that I have no experience with Tresiba but much experience with nocturnal hypos. I eventually went on a pump for this reason and am so happy with it. I haven't had any more hypos during sleep (for about2 years) and also have less during the day. I don't know if it's an option for your daughter.

Reactions: azure

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Has anybody on tresiba had hypo's but the rebounds of highs after... Or had no hypo but levels just climb from 3am on ward?

I know Martinas daughter has temporarily come off the pump..

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Any advice on the best time for a child to take it?

robert72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Has anybody on tresiba had hypo's but the rebounds of highs after... Or had no hypo but levels just climb from 3am on ward?

I know Martinas daughter has temporarily come off the pump..
I haven't had any rebounds on it.

Sometime I get a slow rise from about 5am, but after I've had more protein than usual, otherwise it's dead flat for me.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
How often can you change the amount is it daily?

Its a while since I went on it and came off and I know for me it didn't work out due to my level of activity in mornings, quiet in affernoons and then back busy again and levels sinking to 3am and then dawm and waking phenomo..

Is it every other day to change if necessary orcan you change daily?

robert72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
How often can you change the amount is it daily?

Its a while since I went on it and came off and I know for me it didn't work out due to my level of activity in mornings, quiet in affernoons and then back busy again and levels sinking to 3am and then dawm and waking phenomo..

Is it every other day to change if necessary orcan you change daily?
I don't change it regularly, only if I see a pattern that suggests a dose adjustment. I wouldn't recommend it if you need to change basal rates often depending on activity.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
How about initially though, can you lower / raise it on a daily basis until settled or is it every couple days?

robert72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
How about initially though, can you lower / raise it on a daily basis until settled or is it every couple days?
I would give it 2 or 3 days to settle between adjustments, similar to Lantus but longer lasting.

martina

How long does it last? My daughter curently has 30 units of Levemir in the morning and 17 at night. Her nurse wants to start her on 35 units of tresiba in the morning. I know that she is going to be running high, Im wondering if she should end up on the same amount of basal as she is currently on and while adjusting the dose does the changes need to be made every other day.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
@martina It's unlikely she will stay on the same dose now she is on Tresiba, it's lasts about 2 days, but one injection daily, I started off low and worked upwards, adjusting every 3-4 days so giving it time to settle down, corrections can be made with novorapid until the doses start working.

Personally I didn't get on with either lantus or levemir and found tresiba to be brilliant, flat profile, lasted longer.

Reactions: robert72 and azure

martina

Thanks. I was just wondering ,if it lasts for around 42 hrs would the fact that I'm to give it every 24 hrs not cause hypo's because Im giving more before the previous has run out.

robert72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks. I was just wondering ,if it lasts for around 42 hrs would the fact that I'm to give it every 24 hrs not cause hypo's because Im giving more before the previous has run out.
I don't see that. I guess it loses power slowly over time, but the overlap compensates for that.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
@martina & @robert72 You might find this interesting - I found out about the SWITCH1 study this week. Tresiba is proven in a very reliable clinical study setting to result in 11% fewer hypos overall, and importantly 36% fewer nocturnal and 35% fewer severe hypos than Lantus or its bio-similar generic, Basaglar.

Reactions: robert72