Type 1 and planning/having a family

tia_

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
That's is very helpful thanks for that! I'm not entirely sure what gestational diabetes is like is it type one through pregnancy and then normal once you've giving birth? Like do you have all the same risks?

tia_

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
That's reassuring, is our first scan brought forward, I read on google that we have to attend hospitals once a week for scans to check the baby but is this with people with badly control or same with everyone with diabetes??

Sorry I ask so many questions!

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Hi Tia, what a beautiful name ( that's my daughter's name) :) and I had her at 42 1/2 years old and she is a beautiful and a healthy 16 year old now.

Reactions: azure

tia_

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks! Honestly appreciate all these comments guys! @Robinredbreast sirry I'm asking every what there hba1c was before pregnancy just since mine isn't the best!

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Thanks! Honestly appreciate all these comments guys! @Robinredbreast sirry I'm asking every what there hba1c was before pregnancy just since mine isn't the best!

I'm sorry I can't help you there, as I can't remember. As Azure has said it is hard work being diabetic and pregnant, but eating a healthy diet, exercise and and trying not to get too stressed or anxious about things will help your mind and your body. Have you thought of keeping a diary or taking up something like yoga/relaxation classes, you could probably look online ?
We aren't super human so we try to do the best we can x

Last edited:
Reactions: tia_

tia_

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm always stressed and super tired because of work! Wouldn't have time for yoga but I do chill out with my pooch on walks and stuff but that's the only down time I get. With me working in such a busy environment it's a lot harder for me to be going away and checking sugars or taking a correction (never miss an injection though!) so my corrections are always around 1-2hours late which sucks :(

Medusa41

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi - I can't actually remember what my hba1c was I'm afraid as nearly 9 years' ago. I had a natural delivery. Ironically my daughter was nearly 10lb & I wasn't diabetic then! Agree with @Juicyj - the care I had was amazing. Good luck - I'm sure all will be fine.

tia_

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
How much time did you guys take to prepare for a baby? Like health wise? I'm on the depo so may take a while to wear off but been advised to go straight on pill (not sure why) so I'm stopping my depo in may but unsure if I've planned my health right my nurse told me 3 months was ideal for getting health in order for a baby so for me that's around about may time anyways any advice on this??

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
You need to take high dose folic acid for a few months before conception and in early pregnancy @tia_

Normally, you wouldn't have a scan every week, except perhaps right at the end of pregnancy if there were growth concerns. I had scans every 3 or 4 weeks.

I suggest you speak to your DSN and ask about the pre-conception clinic for diabetic ladies. I'd also advise you get their help in seeing if you can reduce your HbA1C as that will reduce the risk of any issues in pregnancy :)

tia_

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have my folic acid and my hba1c is at it's lowest out of the whole time I've had diabetes, it's basically stayed the same since last June since I've gotten better control

Karen8736

Hi Tia, could you get a freestyle libre? I got it 2 months ago and got my hba1c down to 50 from 65. I am finding it a massive help in preventing highs

tia_

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I had a trail last year once I finished dafne but too expensive for me a month since I have a mortgage ect. I did enjoy it and I'm working towards getting funding for it

WhiteleyGirl

Hi, when i started pre pregnancy January 2016 my hba1c was 84. Very bad control long story. However doing DAFNE course and being on the pump from Sept 2016 I'm now down to about 44 waiting on bloods that have been done to confirm this. You will get there seems like a long road ahead. Takes a lot of effort, time and patience.

If you can get the pump I'd totally recommend it. You will get to the levels you want just persevere with it.

Hope this helps

Alison xx

Hope

Reactions: azure

kitty55

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Spiders
Hi @tia_ and congratulations on your pregnancy. Diabetic pregnancy is as everyone says hard work but perfectly possible to have a healthy normal weighing baby :).
I had my boy last August weighing 8lbs5. My pregnancy was easy peasy to be perfectly honest and as you I was scared of a bad outcome or issues and all the stuff you read on the internet. My hba1c was I think 6.2 when baby was conceived via IVF and it was around 5.5-5.8 during pregnancy (sorry I only do old numbers). I am on a pump and still using the Omnipod (and I did during pregnancy as well so hopefully you get the funding as it was an incredibly helpful thing to have I found). I had two weekly appointments with my diabetes team and obstetrician and I felt very well looked after and supported.
I was lucky as in that my obs supported my decision to go full term without induction and I was in fact 40+4 when I delivered our son. He came in the end via emergency section as he was in an awkward position as we found out and wouldn't have been able to just pop out like I always imagined. He was fine, had some lower blood sugars to start with which disappeared after a few hours and he has been fine ever since.
I hope this helps, just shout if you have any questions. Good luck! xx

tia_

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @kitty55 I'm not pregnant yet still at pre Conception unfortunately it's good to hear everything went normal in your pregnancy very reassuring!

Fliss_S

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi Tia,

I'm type 1, and have been since I was 9 years old, so 21 years now! I'm also 19+4 weeks pregnant with our first baby.

Having had two very bad hypos as a child, I'd always ran my BG higher as I was terrified of going low again. This caused issues when my husband and I decided to start trying for a baby. I managed to get my Hba1c to 60 and kept it there for 6 months, but like you, I couldn't get it any lower. I felt so despondent and worried I'd never get the control needed to be a mum.

However over Christmas I became pregnant- it wasn't exactly planned as I knew my hba1c wasn't low enough. I had been taking the higher dose of folic acid though for the previous 5 months. I was convinced I'd miscarry or something awful would happen, but my control has tightened and I've got over my fear of lower BG- a desire to protect your baby just kicks in, and you get that control that seemed impossible before. My hba1c is is still higher than it should be now at 49, but I'm working all the time on getting it lower.

I don't suppose I have advice, and I'm not condoning being reckless, but hopefully there is a bit if reassurance that if your body is ready for a baby, you will sort your glucose levels.

I wear the Libre, which I just would not be without- it's a god send!

Reactions: kitty55 and azure

natalie22

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi. I'm currently pregnant at 19 weeks. Iv been diabetic for 20 years this year.
I fell pregnant a lot quicker than i thought and my hba1c which was tested 2 months before I conceived was at 8.5 which for me was good as when I was a teenager I was getting hba1c at 12. Soon as I found out I was pregnant I changed how I tested and how I ate. I tested around 10 times a day and gave myself lower carb meals. I then had my hba1c tested again a month after I found out I was pregnant and it was down to 5.6 which I was so pleased about.
So don't panic. You want your body best as it can before conceiving but it's also making sure it's consistent.
It's not easy at all, a lot of effort but believe me once you know your pregnant you will put more effort in than you ever have because you want a healthy baby.
Good luck and don't beat yourself up. Everyone gets highs it's just correcting them and making sure your not high for along amount of time.
You can do it

Xxx

tia_

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you very much for that! It really helps me a lot ! Are you on a pump or multiple injections?

natalie22

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I'm on injections. Haven't ever thought of the pump. I swear by the carbs and Cals app and my Accu-chek Aviva expert.
My parents offered to buy the libre for my pregnancy as they were shocked at how many times I'm actually having to prick my finger but after looking at reviews and speaking to my nurse I thought I would just keep going as it hasn't been as bad as I thought it would be.
Honestly don't be put off, just aim for under 8 always and if you get High correct.
I test once I wake up, before breakfast, an hour after breakfast and then before lunch and after lunch and I always tend to do a few extra in the afternoon as I'm always on my feet and then before dinner and an hour after and then before bed.
You will soon find out what spikes your blood sugars and then you can change.
Honestly be positive you can do it.
Xx