Type 1 Chat

Samwar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I've got apt in June with dietitian but I have high metabolism and won't to try and get a handle on things the best I can at moment sugars tend to be high at work and can full really fast .

Cloe-1992

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Matthew yours..what kind of meals do u eat I need new ideas

Oh lovely name , my little boys called Lucas. :)

Ummm I normally eat
Jacket potato
Fresh noodles , chicken , peppers onions , ect .
Chicken and rice with different flavourings .
Home made Casseroles
Home made shepherds pie
Roast dinners with loads of different veg
Lazy nights tuna sandwich lol

Umm trying to think pretty standard meals really lol , what you having ?

tiffany07

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
People tell me diff too...I asked with the pump can you eat what you want or no. Some say yes some say no...you don't follow a particular diet then just cover yourself.

tiffany07

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I eat chicken fish lots of veggies....I do have cheat days once in a while but cover myself.. as long as we take our coverage and dont run high for long we are good.

Cloe-1992

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've got apt in June with dietitian but I have high metabolism and won't to try and get a handle on things the best I can at moment sugars tend to be high at work and can full really fast .

That will be good to see your dietician , have you got a number or an email of a diabetes nurse you could get in contact with to try and change your insulin requirements to stop the highs and the fast dropping ? I know some people are comfortable to change their insulin requirements them selfs but don't like suggesting others to do that .
Is hard with diabetes as soon as you think you've got it sorted your hormones play up and something else happens lol always something knew to learn .

Kyland

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Are we supposed to eat low carbs not high no one has told me much about it just gave me a book.
Well I eat low carb and personally I think that's the best way to do it. The reason I say this is because although you can eat higher carb and cover it with more insulin, I think it's healthiest to inject as little insulin as possible. I really suggest that you try eating low carb, at first it's hard but after a while it just becomes normal and it's easy. So if you did do low carb, here are some good things to eat:

Vegetables
Meats
Eggs
Cheese
Nuts
Fruit

And of course you can cook, prepare, or season these foods however you want, as long as it doesn't add carbs to it.
You wouldn't want to eat too much of the fruits and nuts though, because these are not really low carb, however they are some of the healthier carbs out there and they have less of an impact compared to other things so it's okay to eat a little of them.

I hope this helps!

Reactions: 2 people

Cloe-1992

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
People tell me diff too...I asked with the pump can you eat what you want or no. Some say yes some say no...you don't follow a particular diet then just cover yourself.

Yeah I have no specific diet I follow , but that's not everyone's choice of how to eat just speaking for myself , but I carb count everything I eat use the right ratio to cover the carbs and so far so good , yeah I will have the occasional high but it's never for long as is back down to my target I like it to be with in , in a good amount of time . I don't see how anyone doesn't have the occasional high we are diabetics lol .

Kyland

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Oh do you lol yeah I quiet like that bm meter .
Wow you do amazing with everything your doing and it's clearly working , and you sound as if you do a lot of exercise too , never thought about the weights actually , my fiancé does weights might have to go join him on the lighter ones of course lol .
I suppose I do the complete opposite to you , not that I eat bad or anything but I will eat my meals but not low carb and inject and cover the carbs with insulin , you do amazing with your low carbing .
How much background insulin are you on ?

:)
I'm sure your not eating unhealthy foods or anything, but if you ever feel like trying something new I suggest you try low carb, it's really great :). And I'm taking 9 units of Lantus, what about you?

Cloe-1992

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm sure your not eating unhealthy foods or anything, but if you ever feel like trying something new I suggest you try low carb, it's really great :). And I'm taking 9 units of Lantus, what about you?

No there not unhealthy but I do have my treats too , but it's not for everyone the way I do things but it works for me , I can't see myself doing low carb just not my personal choice whilst im still getting good hba1cs and all my blood test results are saying I'm healthy . I'm happy .
And a lot more than you lol 24 in the morning and 28 at night . Yes for some it's a lot if insulin but it works for me lol :)

tiffany07

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yeah we are always going to have highs and lows just as long as we correct them quick is what matters when its like that for long periods of times is what is a problem. Everyone has something wrong w them they have to watch over .

Kyland

Type of diabetes
Type 1
No there not unhealthy but I do have my treats too , but it's not for everyone the way I do things but it works for me , I can't see myself doing low carb just not my personal choice whilst im still getting good hba1cs and all my blood test results are saying I'm healthy . I'm happy .
And a lot more than you lol 24 in the morning and 28 at night . Yes for some it's a lot if insulin but it works for me lol :)
Wow, that's a lot haha. But hey, as long as it's working for you than that's great. With diabetes there's not really a right and wrong, it's all about experimenting and finding what gives the best results! :)

Cloe-1992

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yeah we are always going to have highs and lows just as long as we correct them quick is what matters when its like that for long periods of times is what is a problem. Everyone has something wrong w them they have to watch over .

Yeah definitely , was your little boy born naturally or via section ?

Cloe-1992

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Wow, that's a lot haha. But hey, as long as it's working for you than that's great. With diabetes there's not really a right and wrong, it's all about experimenting and finding what gives the best results! :)

Yes a lot more than what background your taking lol , but yeah whilst my hba1c is at a good level I'm happy lol .
But your also doing well with the way your managing your diabetes :) Is your background split or all in one dose ?

Kyland

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Yes a lot more than what background your taking lol , but yeah whilst my hba1c is at a good level I'm happy lol .
But your also doing well with the way your managing your diabetes :) Is your background split or all in one dose ?
I take the 9 units of Lantus every night in one dose :)

D

Deleted member 83869

Not interrupting...but what pump are you referring to Tiffany because both pumps that I have been on don't alert you when you are low unless you are connected to a cgm and even then you don't need a pump to have a cgm....you don't need to stick to a diet but obviously everything in moderation....the DAFNE course is there for a reason lol...dose adjustment for normal eating! Good luck and any questions in regards to pump then I'm happy to help lol :)

tiffany07

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
C section because i didnt dialated as quick as he wanted out lol you

D

Deleted member 83869

Cloe's background doses may seem a lot but when I was on injections mine was 32 and 34 lol!!

Cloe-1992

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
C section because i didnt dialated as quick as he wanted out lol you

Yeah mine was an emergency section too , but I didn't get to labour lol .
How many weeks did your little one arrive at ?