Type 1 Chat

tiffany07

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
39 mine wasnt emergency I was In labor for ten hours but then I just picked to have a csection

D

Deleted member 83869

Well I eat low carb and personally I think that's the best way to do it. The reason I say this is because although you can eat higher carb and cover it with more insulin, I think it's healthiest to inject as little insulin as possible. I really suggest that you try eating low carb, at first it's hard but after a while it just becomes normal and it's easy. So if you did do low carb, here are some good things to eat:

Vegetables
Meats
Eggs
Cheese
Nuts
Fruit

And of course you can cook, prepare, or season these foods however you want, as long as it doesn't add carbs to it.
You wouldn't want to eat too much of the fruits and nuts though, because these are not really low carb, however they are some of the healthier carbs out there and they have less of an impact compared to other things so it's okay to eat a little of them.

I hope this helps!
Healthiest to inject as little as possible??? How comes???

Cloe-1992

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
39 mine wasnt emergency I was In labor for ten hours but then I just picked to have a csection

That's amazing to get to 39 weeks , how did you find the recovery from your section ?
I had Lucas at 35+6 weeks .

tiffany07

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Im good w pain...it was pretty easy recovery specially w a little one lol and I was breastfeeding.

Kyland

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Healthiest to inject as little as possible??? How comes???
Well I only say this because too much insulin can cause weight gain, and I figure that if I can take less insulin with still having good numbers, I might as well. But that's just my opinion, I don't know if it's scientifically proven to be healthier to take less insulin.

Reactions: 2 people
D

Deleted member 83869

Well I only say this because too much insulin can cause weight gain, and I figure that if I can take less insulin with still having good numbers, I might as well. But that's just my opinion, I don't know if it's scientifically proven to be healthier to take less insulin.
I see where you're coming from in regards to weight gain but I think that's generally boluses and obviously everyone requires different amounts to keep them alive and obviously depends on what you eat as well as what exercise you do....not saying you're wrong though!
I've never been on any dose lower than 20 in the 8 years that I have had diabetes and don't think I will either....lol everyone's body's are just so different....seeing your background doses and I'm thinking if I was on that....I'd be dead ha

Kyland

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I see where you're coming from in regards to weight gain but I think that's generally boluses and obviously everyone requires different amounts to keep them alive and obviously depends on what you eat as well as what exercise you do....not saying you're wrong though!
I've never been on any dose lower than 20 in the 8 years that I have had diabetes and don't think I will either....lol everyone's body's are just so different....seeing your background doses and I'm thinking if I was on that....I'd be dead ha
How do you eat though? Do you eat low carb or do you just dose for whatever carbs you eat?

D

Deleted member 83869

How do you eat though? Do you eat low carb or do you just dose for whatever carbs you eat?
Nope don't low carb tried it a few times and it's far too expensive lol I eat what I want....diabetes doesn't rule me :) and food has never been a problem for my control the only thing that has been wrong with my control is me and my depression and not testing but I'm on top of that now. I'm relatively healthy so see no need to low carb but each to there own!

Kyland

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Nope don't low carb tried it a few times and it's far too expensive lol I eat what I want....diabetes doesn't rule me :) and food has never been a problem for my control the only thing that has been wrong with my control is me and my depression and not testing but I'm on top of that now. I'm relatively healthy so see no need to low carb but each to there own!
Well I'm glad it's working out for you! And you're right, low carb can be expensive. If you did do low carb, I'm sure you could adjust your long lasting insulin much lower, not that it really matters since it sounds like your doing fine now :)

D

Deleted member 83869

Well I'm glad it's working out for you! And you're right, low carb can be expensive. If you did do low carb, I'm sure you could adjust your long lasting insulin much lower, not that it really matters since it sounds like your doing fine now :)
I'm not sure because I've basal tested loads and the amount I'm on is what I need it's lower on the pump as I'm on a total of 47u a day now whereas I was on 60 odd before but now I'm pregnant so it varies haha

Kyland

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I'm not sure because I've basal tested loads and the amount I'm on is what I need it's lower on the pump as I'm on a total of 47u a day now whereas I was on 60 odd before but now I'm pregnant so it varies haha
Well I guess each person might just need a certain amount :) How was your hba1c?

D

Deleted member 83869

Well I guess each person might just need a certain amount :) How was your hba1c?
Yes :) my last one was 62 so 7.8 but my last two was very close together so my consultant said that it it probably a lot lower than that but it's only that high down to me lol