Type 1 not allowed circuit training

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Hi

I'm really annoyed at this...

Because of my pump I'm not allowed by our gym to go circuit training..I'm actually fitter than my hubby and friend that go but the gym people see my diabetes as too much of a risk and they will be starting a separate session up soon for diabetics and people with critical illnesses....

I'm just so annoyed that I am banned from the other group which hubby and friend say I will enjoy, to going to the lesser able group which I know I definitely won't enjoy...

I have thought about hiding pump and not saying anything...

Am I doomed to this lesser regime?

Last edited by a moderator:

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
That's a real pain.
I went to a new gym today, and answered yes to the 'diabetes' question.
GP letter, stamp required space.
Luckily, the fitness coach was the diabetes trainer, and after a chat, and telling him my figures, he signed me off himself.

After this ramble, what I'm trying to say is there not a procedure to allow your GP to sign you in, or a resident trainer at the gym who you can speak to?

Reactions: 2 people

Micky25

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I wouldn't have told them and just joined in. Hate being treated different and made to feel "delicate". Health & safety gone mad as usual. Can you not provide a letter from your doc saying you are OK to exercise ? Often, that is all they want, to cover themselves.

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I bet they don't actually know what a pump is or what it does; just that it seems 'serious' I'd just be determined to show them that I didn't need to be in a lesser group
( I get cross that I have to have several letters for anything I do here in France (ie a letter mentioning 'in competition' for running in a charity run, one for a walking club! and a separate one for gymnastics ie going to the gym; everybody has to have them though, even kids wanting to join in the Wednesday afternoon football club.)

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Got a letter from GP actually saying I am fitter than non diabetics and that my diabetes should should not be deemed as a limit to joining the circuit training!! That what got my back up and posting here!!

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
I wouldn't have told them and just joined in. Hate being treated different and made to feel "delicate". Health & safety gone mad as usual. Can you not provide a letter from your doc saying you are OK to exercise ? Often, that is all they want, to cover themselves.

Even with letter.. Still relegated to have to join their what I classified as "their disabled and geriatric group"... I am so angry that I relegated!!

Emmotha

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Wow I didn't even know this could happen, I'm signing to a gym next week didn't even think! Thanks for sharing ur experience.
They must have some dodgy insurance that doesn't cover them. Is it a private gym? Can you and your friends all move ur business to somewhere more amendable? They might change if they start losing customers

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
They are actually in a school and the gym is off the school, but the hall used for the circuit training. They hold 2 sessions a week but have been saying that without more people they may have to stop the sessions.

It is literally at the bottom of the hill, so nice n local to walk to, so handy rather than getting in to a car etc.

The guy at the circuit sessions just done expensive courses on dietary advice and illnesses and working with local gp's to get referrals to sessions to help persons they can send to him to improve their health.

I just don't want to be in with people that are their under gp referrals when I'm fit enough to be in the other group with my hubby and our friend.

I don't like being treated differently when I'm better healthed than the classified "healthy" down there.

I guess just a rant, letting off steam!

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
They don't actually know me, hubby and friend made the enquiries....and I'd already got the letter expecting them to need one.

So now I'm actually contemplating hiding my pump and a few dolly mixtures in my clothing and still go..... Then I can prove myself,,,,,

Too risky?

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
They don't actually know me, hubby and friend made the enquiries....and I'd already got the letter expecting them to need one.

So now I'm actually contemplating hiding my pump and a few dolly mixtures in my clothing and still go..... Then I can prove myself,,,,,

Too risky?

I may be flamed, but
To be honest.

It is if you need the dolly mixtures.
It proves they have a valid concern.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Naah, you always have to have something with you as a T1. Especially something so new and unknown.... Obviously wouldnt take in blood meter n get it out!!

Easy to sneak a dolly mixture or two in, or chew sweet chewing gum??

I would really be negigent not taking in dolly mixture. Pump can be tbr'd so not a prob.. You always got to be prepared...

Emmotha

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
If it was me, I would have innocently gone in unaware I had to tell them anyway. I bet a lot of ppl do?

Have you done similar activity elsewhere and been fine?

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
No offence, just been there as a T2, and no one sees a difference normally.

The problem is the hypo, which some think I will have, and then they need to sort it out.

Control doesn't really matter, as some aren't well controlled, so it's a very broad brush that paints us.

I dive, and I can either say, no to diabetes, or yes, and, normally, I can produce a signed off medical cert, of about 8 pages, which is usually ok.
It is tempting to tick the no.
I haven't yet, but...................................

Emmotha

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Wow diving, there's something I never wanted to do but now I'm diabetic I suddenly want to because it's not advised. It's a shame t2 are penalised for us t1s hypo danger really, maybe it should only be ppl on insulin who should provide certificates for diving. I personally wouldn't do that as would be terrified of hypoing under water!

But circuit training in a school hall..... Honestly can't see the issue! Surely they could just let you sign something to say you understand the risk

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Wow diving, there's something I never wanted to do but now I'm diabetic I suddenly want to because it's not advised. It's a shame t2 are penalised for us t1s hypo danger really, maybe it should only be ppl on insulin who should provide certificates for diving. I personally wouldn't do that as would be terrified of hypoing under water!

But circuit training in a school hall..... Honestly can't see the issue! Surely they could just let you sign something to say you understand the risk

It's ok to do now, it's accepted control is improved, and hypoing underwater isn't a major risk any more, it's a major leap forward for us all!

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes

Hubby tried the signature thought, offered the letter, but no...they won't budge....

Think I'm pretty sure about hiding the pump now..and ignoring hubby and friend when there. Go in separately to them....

ElyDave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I read this earlier but couldn't comment on the "app". I thought this was bloody ridiculous and goes against every bit of medical advice that there is going regarding the value of exercise for any daibetic whether T1 or T2.

If I can get an offshore medical and spend a week running around the Algerian dessert with out killing myself, what is the real risk of a bit of circuit training?

Personally I'd be looking at two options here - 1) go and get myself some kit and do my own thing in my shed 2) go to the management and explain, show them how you intend to manage it, even let them see you test during a session to show you know what you are doing.

daniT1D

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
That's awful! I do lots of different gym classes, and never considered they could exclude me. Often I don't tell anyone (as I don't like to be treated differently) but if I'm not with a friend sometimes I let the instructor know, but tell them if I stop don't worry about me I'll just be taking a break or some Lucozade!

I really feel for you and hope you get to join the class.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Disability discrimination if it comes to it, but now it's getting a bit nasty.