Type 1 not allowed circuit training

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
@Micky25 I am so sorry about how you have been treated on this thread. It's hard when you are new to a forum and someone seems to have taken a dislike to you. Please don't be discouraged from posting because of one individual. I have read some of your other posts and have enjoyed them. I hope this experience hasn't put you off completely.

@donnellysdogs I feel the gym owners simply don't understand and are making an issue of the pump unnecessarily. I'm sure if you were allowed to go in for an induction you would allay their fears. I hope this gets sorted out for you.

They're a lawyer
they know rubbish will be exposed.
Don't apologise for them

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
They're a lawyer
they know rubbish will be exposed.
Don't apologise for them
I apologised to him, not for him. I don't care if he's a lawyer or a bin man, or even a doctor! Everyone deserves respect on this forum, especially when they are relatively new to it. Well that's my opinion anyway.

Micky25

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Don't worry Zand and thanks. I can spot a lonely guy on a forum who stays up late posting question marks on a forum a mile away. He has made a lot of posts containing zero information and seems rather pleased with himself for doing so. I will not judge this forum on one spoiler. Good night.

Reactions: 3 people

moz1

Sounds like they are trying to do the right thing catering for "normal" people and lumping us in with the "disabled". I understand why you are annoyed as I often find this frustrating as well. I would challenge them on this heavily and point out there are Olympians who are actually t1's after all. There are many cases of sports people dropping down dead with heart problems etc we know what we are dealing with so I cannot see that we are any more of a risk than anyone else. Hope you get this resolved and they see sense but sometimes you have to do what you have to do!

Reactions: 4 people

ElyDave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm not sure why I'm now coming under attack for trying to help out ? There is no particular law that specifically states a T1 can't participate in a class but every gym has rules and they all contain a paragraph similar to:
"You must comply with any request made by members of staff in relation to matters of Health & Safety".
You cannot demand participation of a particular class. You can try and reason but you will not be covered under legislation. Why not prove me wrong instead or arguing ?

Matters of Health and Safety is non-specific b@llocks designed as a get out clause to avoid haveing to manage the risk effectively.

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
@donnellysdogs
This really depends on how far you want to take it, personally I'd be annoyed enough to go back.

Meet the manager
ask for the reason why you are being excluded, as you have a medical assessment that states you are able to participate, and should not be excluded for medical reasons.
If they continue to exclude you simply based on a blanket ban for T1, tell them they are in breach of the 'Equality Act 2010' as you have a recognised long term disability, which is a protected characteristic as per Part 2, chapter 1, section 6 of the Act.
The disability is defined in Schedule 1

5(1)An impairment is to be treated as having a substantial adverse effect on the ability of the person concerned to carry out normal day-to-day activities if—

(a)measures are being taken to treat or correct it, and

(b)but for that, it would be likely to have that effect.

They are in direct contravention of Part 3, section 29.

(1) A person (a “service-provider”) concerned with the provision of a service to the public or a section of the public (for payment or not) must not discriminate against a person requiring the service by not providing the person with the service.

They may try to claim they are providing the service, but it is not the service, it is an unsuitable (for you) lesser alternative service and this is in contravention to

(2)A service-provider (A) must not, in providing the service, discriminate against a person (B)—

(a)as to the terms on which A provides the service to B;

(b)by terminating the provision of the service to B;

(c)by subjecting B to any other detriment.

They should, hopefully, fairly quickly agree with you.

Last edited by a moderator:

izzzi

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
They are actually in a school and the gym is off the school, but the hall used for the circuit training. They hold 2 sessions a week but have been saying that without more people they may have to stop the sessions.

It is literally at the bottom of the hill, so nice n local to walk to, so handy rather than getting in to a car etc.

The guy at the circuit sessions just done expensive courses on dietary advice and illnesses and working with local gp's to get referrals to sessions to help persons they can send to him to improve their health.

I just don't want to be in with people that are their under gp referrals when I'm fit enough to be in the other group with my hubby and our friend.

I don't like being treated differently when I'm better healthed than the classified "healthy" down there.

I guess just a rant, letting off steam!
Best of luck with this rant @donnellysdogs it has definitely got this thread going into the unknown legal system
We clever clogs should have advised you to request written confirmation regarding their refusal, or verbal if need be. Then take it from there.
Also they should be allowed to reverse their decision before you consider what actions will be taken against them if need be.
( No I am not a solicitor,it is just my BG levels are back to normal, after reading from the way you have been treated. ):)

Reactions: 2 people

ElyDave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Maybe they should do a risk assessment on you! lol H&S has gone mad!
On me, why?

If it was my decision I'd be asking what are the risks, how serious are they, how can we control the serious risks, and if we do that is the remaining risk acceptable?

That's no different from the process I go through mentally to run anything from a 10k to 40 miles, or ride 100miles

Scardoc

On me, why?

If it was my decision I'd be asking what are the risks, how serious are they, how can we control the serious risks, and if we do that is the remaining risk acceptable?

That's no different from the process I go through mentally to run anything from a 10k to 40 miles, or ride 100miles

I part agree with you Dave and I think the crucial element to all of this is the question of other people's liability. For me, the gym should simply make you sign a waiver to say anything you are doing is at your own risk and they are absolved of all responsibility. Now, that may be too simplistic when you are in their environment and potential dangers lurk that should be controlled by them.

My only experience has come in road or x-country races where you have to declare any medical conditions on the entry form and the small print says it's at your own risk. Some do ask you to put a red cross on the front of your race number and write the medical condition on the back which I tend to do whether or not they ask now. Good idea.

Certainly when it comes to running on my own the risk assessment process was carried out - stringently by my wife!! - and I never go out of town without my phone. Any distances involve a camel pack stuffed with the kitchen sink!!

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
I'm going to go down next week and see them with the letter and with a written explanation of why I should not be excluded.
Will let you know how I get on.

Thanks for all the advice, I didn't realise it would turn in to such an emotive subject between Posters, but it has given me a great insight how to approach my next step. I definitely need to plan this next move, as taking it up direct to them I won't then be able to become a secret pumping circuit training person, they will know me!

Will let you know how I get on.

Reactions: 4 people