Type 1'stars R Us

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
It's also the reason I'd ban fireworks for public sale; so many animals have a rubbish time in November - and now so many people think Christmas, New Year or a birthday party are a good reason to set them off. No thanks. Rant over.....for now ;)
In the Netherlands fireworks are reserved for new years eve. I live in one of the very few places where there's little fireworks, although I can see lots of it thanks to the open fields.
So for the past years I've invited the dogs of my friends for a sleepover party on new years eve and a couple of days before if needed, I've had as many as five dogs coming over for a good celebration one year! :joyful:

• Winner
Reactions: hh1 and Hopeful34

Hopeful34

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
The dogs sleepover party sounds a great idea @Antje77 Wish I'd lived near you when we had one of our dogs. We'd rehomed her, and she was so frightened of any loud noise until she became deaf.
Our previous dog couldn't care less, and carried on as normal.

Beautiful sunny day, and much warmer today.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
@Antje77 What a brilliant idea, a quiet party for dogs when fireworks are about! I'd bring my dog :)
You're welcome to come over with your dog! Sending your dog on her own (not sure but going by your profile pic I think it's a her) seems impractical with the North Sea between us. :hilarious:
New years eve parties around here usually involve a big fire in the garden, a barbecue shared with all dogs and cats, and the neighbour who lives in my garden and sometimes friends, and way too much booze. And of course going out at midnight to see all the far off fireworks. :)

hh1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
You're quite right @Antje77 my dog was a her; sadly she died very suddenly 4 years ago. My current dog is the same breed though she's a bit bigger and more heavily built than the one in the photo. I just never got around to changing the photo, and it's rather nice to be reminded of her whenever I'm on here :happy:

Nicola M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Today is a new day and hopefully the first day my blood sugars don’t rollercoaster at lunch time :hilarious: Trying a new trick of splitting my dose to combat the rise which seems odd on a hybrid closed loop system. Don’t know why they don’t give it as an option.

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
Ugh. I had to have a steroid shot as my back went really bonkers.. It worked and it's been a few days so I am almost at normal. The shot did wonders, but I needed a total of 16 extra units that day, no food involved and doubled my food dose for a bowl of lentil soup that night. 10 extra units the next day. I knew from past experience that I react with an over the top response to steroids. It's just sort of scary to be taking that much insulin and not eating. It's like you are waiting for the shoe to drop, but it never does.

Hopeful34

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Glad the steroid shot helped @Marie 2 but yes it must have been scary to give that amount of insulin for no food. Could you not eat because you'd had to have a general anaesthetic? Past experience can be really helpful in situations like that.

Take care and I hope your back behaves itself in future xx

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
@Hopeful34 I didn't have anaesthetic. It was just a cortisone shot, I didn't eat because even after the first extra 10 units I wasn't falling below 11mmol. I just didn't want my BG level spiking more at that level. My BG level will go up if I eat pure protein and high fat would have made the situation worse. I finally got myself down to 8 mmol later that night and that's when I had a bowl of lentil soup and doubled the amount of insulin for it. I was starving lol, usually I'm pretty good and can ignore eating, but I'm sure the cortisone shot was helping make me hungry!

I usually know the cause for my back to go haywire, but there was no cause this time that I know of. But I think it's been over 10 years since my last shot. Every couple of years I get given a low dose round of pills though. It's always take a 5mg pill and 30-60 minutes later watch my levels rise. I usually only take 2 1/2 mg twice a day and it's not too bad.

hh1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Morning all, the sun's disappeared from this part of Somerset but this in-range thing might be infectious, had a good one myself yesterday! Hope you're all doing something you want to this wekend and that you get the weather you want - thundery showers wouldn't be my choice but hey! they might miss me :happy:

Nicola M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hoping todays lower than usual carb lunch doesn’t give me as much as a spike as usual because I don’t think I can cope with the lunch spike anymore at work, it’s driving me insane!!

I’m a carb lover and I don’t care but my lunch at work is killing me, my weekend lunch is fine yet has the same amount of carbs if not more sometimes. Today I’ve gone from 86g to 48g which is a big change for me. Here’s to hoping for better results!

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
@Nicola M Maybe you are more stressed at work and it is causing some resistance? We can all vary so much. Any Doctors, dentist visits and my BG level drops like with exercise. I can eat something before I go in, reduce my basal and still drop. Blood Pressure goes up and BG level goes down.

Reactions: hh1

JNJ7707

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thought I would say Hi here. New member today. Just started on 780 G upgrade yesterday. Type 1 since 1970, so 53 years. I am from Texas, USA so I don't understand words that are being used here sometimes, lol. Anyway, Hope everyone has a good day tomorrow, hmmm, I am not sure the time difference if there is one, it is 11:31 pm here. I am Nita.

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
Hi @JNJ7707 I am in the US too. I use a Omnipod, Dexcom and a LIbre (the LIbre because it works when I swim) You do get used to some of the lingo and of course confuse others when you use words others aren't used too or mention things it turns out we only have in the US. I am still confused sometimes, Like crisps are chips and chips are french fries, biscuits are cookies, but only a certain type of cookie. I'm not sure what regular cookies are called.

And they don't have Kool Aid, which I don't drink but caused some questions as to what it was when I mentioned it.

Hi @Yaya10_10 Yes, I miss everyone too! I'm fine and hope you are too!

Reactions: Yaya10_10