Type 2 Diabetes and Depression

Type of diabetes
Type 2
My depression associated with Type 2 dtabetes is getting the better of me. From lasting for a few hours each morning it is almost constant throughout the day and affects my self esteem, motivation, well-being etc etc.

What other members of this forum suffer the same as me and what have they done to overcome their depression - or at least alleviate it?

Reactions: Angelofthemarches

13lizanne

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
The Gym, + unkindness and rudeness
Hi @oaklandsraider have you thought of looking at the Emotional and Mental Health forum? or perhaps asking your question on that forum? It may be overlooked here. Good luck for the future x

Reactions: Barrowbakers

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
What!

Depression is something you need to live with.....really!!

Shocked at that statement....

There are anti depressant medications out there....so people don't live with it....

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
My depression associated with Type 2 dtabetes is getting the better of me. From lasting for a few hours each morning it is almost constant throughout the day and affects my self esteem, motivation, well-being etc etc.

What other members of this forum suffer the same as me and what have they done to overcome their depression - or at least alleviate it?

Did you have the depression before the type two diagnosis?
Or is a symptom of the diabetes?

If it is a symptom, then getting your blood glucose levels down to near normal levels will alleviate the symptoms, that however will take a few weeks of low carb diet.

Read the emotional and mental health forum.
And of course the low carb forum, how one can help with the other!

I had severe anxiety till I got control of my blood glucose levels!

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

I found that taking up some hobby again of the more easy kind made me feel better , because I used to be so passive when being depressive and by doing nothing it got worse... but at the same time I didn´t have the energy to be with a lot of people .. so now I am crocheting colorful blankets , and when really in the mood which is very rarely I paint sometimes portraits or make my own jewlery

M

mist

I was responding to your thread about depression but when I hit submit, the thread no longer existed. I'm not sure if you deleted the post yourself, or if a moderator deleted it, but here was my response to you, hopefully it may help a little.

I won't quote your post just in case it was you who deleted it and you had second thoughts about the post.

----- My response -

I too have suffered with long term severe depression, since the age of 15 after being diagnosed with cancer, I'm now 34.

I took the worst route possible, drugs, alcohol and self harming but somehow I survived, barely!

As a result of my suicide attempt doctors are not willing to prescribe me medication, which I can understand, however it did force me to look for alternative coping methods.

The usual suspects such as exercise and meditation, yoga..etc..are all good for depressive states, but they are not for everyone that's for sure, especially if you also contend with anxiety as many of us do.

What works for some just doesn't gel with others, this is why it's important to find what's right for you.

I love video games, not necessarily ones with guns and explosions, some games are extremely immersive pieces of art that you can lose yourself in, these are the experiences I look for. Sure, maybe I'm forgoing the real world in favour of a virtual one, but that's much better for me than the alternative.

I'm also a musician so just sitting at the piano and expressing how I'm feeling helps, sometimes I feel angry or sad, but rather than give in to those raw emotions, I will just convey them in a piece of music.

The same can be done with drawing and painting too.

You need to find, if you haven't already, what it is that makes you smile, inside and out, because even smiling to yourself in the mirror, even a forced smile usually ends up in genuine laughter, and what's better than laughter? It's good to laugh at yourself and not take yourself, or the world too seriously.

I sincerely hope you find what works for you, feel free to message me any time.

Last edited by a moderator:

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
@mist - I know that post wasn't meant for me but it rang a lot of bells for me. It was a wonderful and very thoughtful post. Thank you. :)

Reactions: Struma

Art Of Flowers

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Being diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes can be a bit of a shock, but also a wakeup call to change your lifestyle and diet.

A lot of people in the medical profession think of diabetes as something which gets worse over time and eventually leads to an early death. However, you can take action to alleviate the symptoms an reverse Type 2 diabetes.

This time last year before I was diagnosed with T2 I was trying and failing to lose weight. From Jan to Apr my weight stayed the same which was a bit depressing. When I was diagnosed T2 in November I bit the bullet and started to make radical changes to my diet (reducing sugar and carbs) and do more exercise. Since then I have lost about 8 Kg and my fasting blood sugars have dropped from 13 to about 6.

I have found some inspiration to reverse T2 diabetes from watching videos from people like Jason Fung. See ..

Reactions: Freema and Prem51

daisyduck

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Did you have depression before you were diagnosed ? Are you on Metformin ?
Metformin can cause a drop in B12 levels which can affect your mood and nervous system. might be worth trying a supplement.
Your GP sounds awful. can you see a different one in the practice ?

Reactions: Freema and Prem51

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Last time I raised the issue with my GP he said '..that's something you'll have to live with like many others do",
I would see another GP in the practice or change to another surgery. If you contact the nearest MIND office to you they should be able to recommend local GPs who understand depression.
Depression is usually treated by counselling and/or medication. I have had episodes of depression for over 30 years. The only thing that helps me cope is medication, and now I stay on it permanently.
Other things can help alleviate it. Exercise releases 'feel good' endorphins. Sunlight stimulates melatin production in the brain which makes us feel more cheerful. Some foods like oily fish (and omega supplements) can help. Vitamin D is supposed to help as is St John's Wort. a herbal remedy - but that can react with any other medications you might tbe taking so you should consult your pharmacist first.
Getting out in green places lifts mood, and I found gardening therapeutic.

Last edited:
Reactions: ME_Valentijn
Type of diabetes
Type 2

I am always depressed, on prozac for the last 10 years, i was on diabetes education course and no other diabetic seem to have a problem with depression although the tutor did say that it is a problem. Healthy diet , meditation and exercise are all advacate I can recommend accupunture.

Reactions: Prem51

Deespee23

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
... no other diabetic seem to have a problem with depression
????....Don't think so - FWIW, I think it can go with the territory..in fact, I know it does...I have suffered on and off for years BUT I also think we may in a better place to deal with it - we CAN get a grip of this illness and that in itself can give you something to build on.

Certainly, being diagnosed T2 last year was the kick up the backside I needed. The fact that my mother was very ill at the time also strangely provided a bit of perspective on my situation. It made me think of others, not just myself.

So, you're not alone. Please don't forget the support that is available here - it's made a big difference to me and if I can do anything for you or any other member going through a rough patch, then I will.

Last edited:
Type of diabetes
Type 2

Hi oaklandsraider, first off as others have said find another Doctor,your one sounds like a complete idiot saying that to you. I have been suffering with depression for 3 years now and finding out I have T2 about a year ago hasn't helped! What I have found is that sharing my problems with someone who actually cares has made life more bearable. So if you have someone who is close to you and willing to listen that will definatly help, also there are a lot of Mental Health Forums where you can seek help and advice from. I hope this helps you.

M

mist

I just want to add that it's wise to be cautious of mental health forums/communities. It's not uncommon for users, and I include myself in this, to enter into such a forum with one mental condition, only to obtain new ones as you spend more time on there and associate with others who are suffering.

For example, you may enter a generic mental health community with a desire to connect with and discuss topics of interest with other depression sufferers only to develop anxiety or agoraphobia..etc on top of any existing conditions.

Just be mindful that this can and does frequently happen.

tigerlily72

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Last time I raised the issue with my GP he said '..that's something you'll have to live with like many others do",

Jeez! :mad:. What a totally unsupportive GP. Regardless of your health condition you shouldn't have to just "live with it". I'm no doctor but there are medications, counselling, CBT (cognitive behavioural therapy) and mental health groups/charities i.e. MIND.

I've had depression and anxiety on and off since my early 20's. Medication has helped me in the past but what I found useful was two group based CBT courses: Managing Stress and Managing Panic, Anxiety & Worry. Although, I appreciate this isn't for everyone. I made a conscious decision to come off my meds (Citalopram) last September and am coping well without them, despite new health concerns that I've been diagnosed with.

I'd suggest trying to make an appointment with another GP at your surgery and asking what support and help they can give you.

BIGALAN49

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
people that smoke, i'm sorry i'm an ex-smoker

hi there like most on here you have my deepest sympathies, i've just gone through bariatric surgery and its got rid of my diabetes where i'm on insulin, medication now have stopped, i'm back to diet controlled, but after 44 years of having diabetes its a relief, but my depression hasn't gone and i still most mornings like you feel rubbish and my self esteem is rock bottom at the moment even though i've lost 10 stone in weight so from nearly 28 stone down to 18 stone 2lb you would be thinking i'd be jumping with joy, in one respect i am but my depression soon takes over. one guy said on here have you been to see yo GP about what your going through, or is there something that you use to enjoy doing but haven't done for a while, could that help you. i know one thing you have plenty of friends on here that are in the same boat so to speak, and i always say a problem shared is a problem halved. i do you these and other words that are being sent to you make you feel that somewhere in our country your not on your own, you have many friends to call upon take care hope this help even if it put a smile on your face, then that's a start.