ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Not too many nuts.... looks like I have a mild allergy now from too many!

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dr Atkins was right. I don't think there's any other way to put it. If I'd been smart enough to ignore the dire warnings and stick with his plan at 21, I wouldn't now be borderline T2 and a helluva lot slimmer at 64. :banghead:

I don't like the very American-based Atkins forum, which includes lots of advice to buy awful-sounding snacks, but paring it down to the basics, he was right. There's a calumny going around that he died of a heart attack after gaining a huge amount of weight, which isn't true. And even if it were, doesn't make all his research and advice invalid. He had viral cardiomyopathy, nothing to do with weight. Or a slip on the ice leading to a brain hemorrhage.
Oh I had that thrown at me by a sniggering diabetes adviser - that Dr A was overweight when he died - so I asked her what he weighed when taken in to hospital, before being pumped full of glucose solution - and she shut up.
If I had ignored my doctor back when pregnant with my second child and gone on eating plenty of low carb foods, even though he threatened me with dire consequences, I'd probably have had no trouble, as with the first, but I caved in and in a couple of weeks had pre eclampsia.

Last edited:
Reactions: kittypoker

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am crazy with brazil nuts, but it seems like people that overeat them can in worst case get a selenium pisoning and also to much toxin from some kind of fungi that is usually living with brazil-nuts

Reactions: Bellatom

kittypoker

Type of diabetes
Friend
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Oh I had that thrown at me by a sniggering diabetes adviser - that Dr A was overweight when he died - so I asked her what he weighed when taken in to hospital, before being pumped full of glucose solution - and she shut up.
If I had ignored my doctor back when pregnant with my second child and gone on eating plenty of low carb foods, even though he threatened me with dire consequences, I'd probably have had no trouble, as with the first, but I caved in and in a couple of weeks had pre eclampsia.

If I remember correctly, he was around 13-14 stone when he fell. A normal weight for his over 6 foot height. Nothing remarkable. Time magazine, I think, had to pay out a lot of money for, basically, saying his dietary advice was wrong and responsible for his early death.

He was right. Everything he said back in the early '70's was. Dress it up all you like, but he had the research and all these current ideas (mostly to sell books) are nonsense. I watch Michael Moseley weaseling around and cringe. Good heavens, even Ancel Keys admitted he got it wrong in the end.