Type 2: Wish I weren't diabetic...

GeorgiyH

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I am thinking instead of testing BG levels in the morning, two hours after a meal and before bed, I ought to test myself before and after various foods to see what things increase my levels sharply.

Reactions: Angelofthemarches

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I looked for a no more than two whole number increase from just before eating to two hours after starting to eat.
Once I was sure that all the various salads I ate were OK, I stopped testing, and then standardised my evening meals. I do sometimes test to see if I can eat berries without hitting double figures, but I don't really need to test.
I have bought some strips for my Lidl sourced meter, just so I can check from time to time - otherwise I might be tempted to overdo things.

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
Just wondering what is TOFI?
Hi @GeorgiyH Thin on the outside fat on the inside. Michael Mosley, the 5-2 diet / Blood Sugar Diet guy (and Trust me i'm a Doctor participant) talks about this a fair amount. I think this is the new normal, many of my family and friends were surprised when I was diagnosed as I looked like alot of people, not obviously fat.

GeorgiyH

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Thank you @Mbaker that is useful to know. I guess I need to try and make more time for a bit of exercise - it is so hard with having young kids and teaching full time - absolutely no time whatsoever, and if there is time, you are too exhausted to do anything! To think I used to exercise daily...

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
Thank you @Mbaker that is useful to know. I guess I need to try and make more time for a bit of exercise - it is so hard with having young kids and teaching full time - absolutely no time whatsoever, and if there is time, you are too exhausted to do anything! To think I used to exercise daily...
It can easily happen, I used to train at high intensity Karate twice a week (British champion) along with Salsa dancing, a move of house and change to self employed left me sedentary for over a decade (ripe for Type 2). Have you tried a standing desk at school, this burns more calories than sitting, which I try to avoid now.

GeorgiyH

Type of diabetes
Type 2
No, we don't really even have teacher desks these days! I will try and stand more though and find ways to be more active. We have been given extra playground duties - I am probably the only one not annoyed at that!

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I know I have just joined a gym but personally I believe exercise is overrated.. you'd be far better off cutting out carbs to reduce visceral fat and maybe even do a bit of intermittent fasting.. say skip breakfast.

Reactions: GeorgiyH

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Sorry, beg to differ on that one. Cashews are out on their own in the nut world, 30g carbs/100g of nuts. Pretty well all other nuts are les than 10. Agree about tropical fruit and berries.
Cashews do contain 27-30 gms of carbs per 100gms, which makes them the highest carb content nuts. But there was a thread on here last year which suggested because they are high in resistant starch, they don't raise your bs much. They don't seem to affect me, but you need to test to see if the affect you.
This is the thread about cashews: www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/cashews.96370/

Reactions: Freema and GeorgiyH
D

Deleted member 371625

I don't like peaches but I would think they aren't good either. To know how they effect you, you should test before eating one then one hour later and again after 90 minutes to two hours.
Peaches on their own can cause small spikes for me, but when eaten with goats cheese have little or no effect on me. They are often eaten in this way in Italy.

Reactions: Prem51

Rob_E

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi George, a couple of suggestions you might find help. I also had problems with metformin, including hypos. My mate is a diabetes nurse and monitored my BG levels for a couple of days to see what was going on. He told me to ask my doc to change my prescription to slow-release metformin. Made a world of difference to me so maybe worth a go.
I've also just taken 2 weeks off work to go on the 800-calorie low-carb diet. My fasting levels have gone from 6.5 - 7.6 / post-prandial down to 4.1-4.3, post-prandial 9-10 down to 4.2-4.3. It was tough, but the results are well worth it.