Type 2s: What was your fasting blood glucose in a morning? (very low chat level)

oldnevada

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Sugar, in all it's iterations.
G'Day all from a snowy white Montreal. I woke to a BG of 4.8mmol/L this a.m. (05:45hrs)

If I keep getting consistent below 5mmol/L readings, am I heading towards remission? Still no word from my last blood work.

LivingLightly

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
G'Day all from a snowy white Montreal. I woke to a BG of 4.8mmol/L this a.m. (05:45hrs)

If I keep getting consistent below 5mmol/L readings, am I heading towards remission? Still no word from my last blood work.
Hi @oldnevada. Perhaps, but it's impossible to be certain because the two tests measure different things.

Finger prick FBG readings show the blood glucose level at the time the test is performed, ideally on waking. These readings are measured in mmols/L as you know.

The HbA1c blood test counts the number of glycated red blood cells; that''s the cells that have had a glucose molecule attached to them. Because red blood cells live two to three months, glucose levels from three months ago still affect an A1c reading today. So the HbA1c number reflects the average level of glucose in your blood during the last three months. It's measured in mmols/mol.

LivingLightly

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi @oldnevada. Perhaps, but it's impossible to be certain because the two tests measure different things.

Finger prick FBG readings show the blood glucose level at the time the test is performed, ideally on waking. These readings are measured in mmols/L as you know.

The HbA1c blood test counts the number of glycated red blood cells; that''s the cells that have had a glucose molecule attached to them. Because red blood cells live two to three months, glucose levels from three months ago still affect an A1c reading today. So the HbA1c number reflects the average level of glucose in your blood during the last three months. It's measured in mmols/mol.
P.S. That said, you can estimate how you're doing. If, for example, you're seeing consistently good numbers 2 hours after meals as well (ie. within 2 mmol/L of your reading before first bite and not above 8.0 mmol/L) for three months or more, it's highly lilely that this will resultt in a considerably reduced HbA1c.

Reactions: Tony 1711