Type 2's: What was your fasting blood glucose in a morning?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PatsyB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
10.9 after waking up at 1am and testing to find it 3.4 ....:banghead: had three biscuits to bring it back up and look how high it goes arghhhhh:banghead::banghead:

Reactions: 14 people

kimbo1962

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
A nice 5.5 this morning after a bedtime of 5.1
A day off for me today at last, well, three actually as I originally booked off Tues and weds as I was going to Nottingham with my daughter, she was going to a gig, but she decided to sell her ticket after seeing something a little unscrupulous with the band manager that she was uneasy with- love her sense of morals at least! ! It means I'm working Fri through to Monday though but never mind!

Reactions: 18 people

eddie1968

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Pasta, sorry to me it's vile, yeuch lol (and full of nasty carbs)
Been away on a well deserved break. :)
7.7 mmol/l fasting

Reactions: 20 people

kimbo1962

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
So is the liver dump level we should be testing for? Is the dawn effect specific to T2 diabetics?
We need to test our waking/fasting to give us a baseline vit90, not really testing for the dump as such- if you test at bedtime also you get an idea of what is happening overnight, sometimes some of us flatline and sometimes our livers dump on us if they think we need it, which can be annoying of course!

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 10 people

kimbo1962

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks Limbo how's things in Skegggy. I love Skegness was brought up in Sheffield as a child and have had many hols in caravans at Skegggy
Season just starting now loulou, the holiday centre where I work opened on Sunday so all the caravans are now being opened up again! I'm born and bred here, never left - yet!!

Reactions: 6 people

vit90

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
OK, have done some research and liver dumping glucose in the early morning happens to both diabetic and non diabetics but of course if you are insulin resistant or your pancreas can't produce enough (any) insulin you will get high morning glucose levels. It would seem that if you test early in the moring (and 7AM is still in the zone) then you are testing for dawn phenomenon resolution effectiveness. I don't think fasting blood glucose testing, which would normally be done later in the day, is comparable.

Reactions: 2 people

eddie1968

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Pasta, sorry to me it's vile, yeuch lol (and full of nasty carbs)
It has been snowing very heavily here in the last 24 hours, a whiteout and mega blizzard....cold too, 0C at the mo and looks like a good few inches have settled.

Reactions: 8 people

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
Sunday 5.0, Monday, 5.5, today 5.9 - not the trend I was hoping for!

Sunday was tested after a lie in at 8AM while the weekday ones were at 7AM, an hour after getting up and sorting breakfast for the family. What is the recommended time in the morning to test that is the most meaningful?

When you awake is one. That is your fasting reading. Then just before you take your first bite. Then 2 hours later. Do not vary the routine as you will have no idea of the variables when you'll know whether exercise / diet or anything else explains the jumps / falls.

Even then, liver dumps (glucose) can interfere

cold ethyl

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
6.4 this morning which I'll take as it was pub quiz! night and I had some ( 7 ) chips and a large handful of peanuts when I got home.

Reactions: 16 people

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
So is the liver dump level we should be testing for? Is the dawn effect specific to T2 diabetics?
You cannot test for a liver dump :) It is what it is ....

Reactions: 7 people

vit90

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You cannot test for a liver dump :) It is what it is ....

We will have to agree to disagree on that - I posted some info after reading up on it earlier in this thread.

JohnD54

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Rice
@vit90
Not an expert on LD, but as a T2 myself can't say I have ever experienced it, been testing BG's since June last year. But with the vagaries of our condition watch out for my reading tomorrow morning.

Reactions: 2 people

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
We will have to agree to disagree on that - I posted some info after reading up on it earlier in this thread.
You'll have to excuse my ignorance on that so my humble apologies :)

I don't mind being corrected at all, so no probs :)

Mike :)

Reactions: 9 people

WeeFergus

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cruelty to humans and animals.
7.0 this morninng (6.5 at bedtime).

Reactions: 16 people

vit90

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sunday 5.0, Monday, 5.5, today 5.9 - not the trend I was hoping for!

Sunday was tested after a lie in at 8AM while the weekday ones were at 7AM, an hour after getting up and sorting breakfast for the family. What is the recommended time in the morning to test that is the most meaningful?

Managed to stave breakfast off until now (09:20) and just tested myself again after the test at 07:00 one and now 5.5 (though I did have half a tomato left over from making a packed lunch, plus a coffee (sucralose sweetener). Also weighed myself and have lost 1.5lbs since Sunday and 2.5 pounds since Friday :) Will be enjoying my milled linseed with a dash of oats plus cinnamon (200 cals) in just a minute!

Status
Not open for further replies.