Type 2's: What was your fasting blood glucose in a morning?

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Sable_Jan

I really don't know the answer to that one, in the same way some people literally take their fasting figures on waking. I have always taken mine after getting ready for work, shower, shave dressing etc but before breakfast.

As with most things regarding D we all have our routines and with testing I think consistency in testing is the important thing to keep an eye on trends.
I too don't take mine straight away but almost always at the same point in my routine and before having eaten or drunk anything so it IS still a fasting reading

Reactions: 4 people

Patricia21

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Animal crualty
5 fasting then went up to 6.4 before lunch.It always does that,yogurt and berries for breakfast.

Reactions: 16 people
S

Sable_Jan

I've only been testing since the beginning of February (diagnosed mid-January. Overall, my readings are coming down since I started testing and yesterday my highest was 7.5 (1 hour after breakfast) and my lowest was 4.6 (mid afternoon ). My bedtime reading was 5.6.
And don't forget that your bs levels are changing throughout the day.... the reading at that minute of testing is only 1/1440 of your day's reading - far less if you count it as the second it takes to get the drop - a 1 in 86400th reading for the day... (if I've done my sums right ;))

Reactions: 2 people
S

Sable_Jan

Sounds like your doing OK I was told by diabetic nurse to try and keep below 8.5. Not working for me but I am waiting to start insulin because of steroids and genetic disorder means I can't take any of the tablets for diabetes
Hope it works out for you Lou - maybe if you can get your levels stable it will help with your other conditions do you think?

Reactions: 2 people
S

Sable_Jan

5 fasting then went up to 6.4 before lunch.It always does that,yogurt and berries for breakfast.
2 possibilities there

a) too many carbs in your breakfast putting your bs up
b) too little carbs and your liver helps out thinking you don't have enough
c) I know I said TWO but there are bound to be other options I havent though of....

Reactions: 6 people

WeeFergus

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cruelty to humans and animals.
Sounds like your doing OK I was told by diabetic nurse to try and keep below 8.5. Not working for me but I am waiting to start insulin because of steroids and genetic disorder means I can't take any of the tablets for diabetes

I was merely told my target, for when i next see her in April, was 47 (from 53). I was told to "eat healthily" , given a booklet, and she said she would arrange for a DESMOND appointment.(now in May). I suspect I would have found it impossible if I hadn't found this Forum and bought a testing kit.

Reactions: 9 people
S

Sable_Jan

I was merely told my target, for when i next see her in April, was 47 (from 53). I was told to "eat healthily" , given a booklet, and she said she would arrange for a DESMOND appointment.(now in May). I suspect I would have found it impossible if I hadn't found this Forum and bought a testing kit.
The trouble is the definition of eating "healthily" often includes lots of wholemeal carbs, fruit and vegetables - many of which are the exact opposite to what many of us are doing to keep our bs down

Reactions: 6 people

pavlovsdog

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I have found that yoghurt and cream have a negative affect on my bg which is a shame as I am quite addicted to it. Im just tryingvto have it as a treat now. My best brekkie has been ham, cheese and toms but recently have had a couple of hypos afterwards. Can't win!

jnhutton

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Fasting was 10.3 at 7am, peaked at 11.8 2 hours later, dropped to 8.5 before a late lunch, back up to 11.6 at 6pm. I try and eat sensibly, but obviously not sensibly enough. Will try and increase exercise along with my meds, but I drive a desk so its hard to do during the day.

Reactions: 5 people

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Litterbugs war mongers hate mongers propagandists.
I'm sure there's more.
I have found that yoghurt and cream have a negative affect on my bg which is a shame as I am quite addicted to it. Im just tryingvto have it as a treat now. My best brekkie has been ham, cheese and toms but recently have had a couple of hypos afterwards. Can't win!
Shows how different we all are.
Full fat plain yoghurt with whatever I decide to chuck in it and full fat cream are great for helping my control.

Reactions: 11 people

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I'm sure there's more.
Fasting was 10.3 at 7am, peaked at 11.8 2 hours later, dropped to 8.5 before a late lunch, back up to 11.6 at 6pm. I try and eat sensibly, but obviously not sensibly enough. Will try and increase exercise along with my meds, but I drive a desk so its hard to do during the day.
Because of other health issues I am no longer very active at all yet I've been losing weight fairly easily and getting my bloods under control and my blood pressure down and good and bad cholesterol balancing out better doing the LCHF routine.

s_k_s

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Summary for Fri 6th March

M - T - W - T - F - S - S

Ally1 – 11.0 – 14.1 – 14.1 –13.9 – x -

Bluetit1802 – 5.6 – 5.1 – 5.1 –5.3 – 5.6 -

Brettsza – 5.5 – 6.0 – 5.4 – 6.2 – 5.6 -

Clivethedrive – x - 6.0 – 5.2 – 5.6 – 5.4 -

Coldethyl – 5.9 – 6.4 – 6.6 – 6.0 – x -

daddys1 – x – x – 5.6 – x – x -

Dibbles1 – 5.5 – 6.0 – 4.8 –5.7 – 5.3 -

Eddie1968 – x – 7.7 – x – x – 7.2 -

georgianakate – x – x – x – 6.0 – x -

Jackthelad – 5.6 – x – x –x – 5 –

JohnD54 – 4.7 – 5.8 – 6.0 - 5.0 – 5.1 -

jnhutton – x – x – x – 9 – 10.3 -

Kezzer4321 – 8.0 – 6.7 – 6.6 – 6.6 – 6.3

Killerkaz – 5.0 – x – x –x – x -

Kimbo1962 – 5.7 – 5.5 – 5.7 – 5.8 – 5.8 -

Lexa_x – 10.3 – x – x –x – x -

Lorraine deer – 6.0 – 7.2 – 7.0 - 5.8 – 8.1 -

Loulou99782 – 6.5 – 7.5 – 8.5 –7.2 – 7.4 -

Mandingo – 4.8 – 5.3 – 4.6 – 5.3 – 4.9 -

Mbabbasi – 6.5 – x – x –x – x -

Mehh2015 – x - 5.1 – 5.2 –x – x -

MikeD - ? – 5.0 – 5.2 –x – x -

Millysue – 7.7 – x - x –x – x -

Muggle71 – In the 6’s – 6.3 - x – x – x -

Pasha – 4.67 – 4.67 – 4.72 – 4.44 – 4.5 -

Patricia21 – 6.5 – x – x – x – 5 -

PatsyB – 7.7 – x – 7.5 – 5.9 – 6.7 -

Pavlovsdog – 6.5 – x – x– 5.6 – x -

Phil1966 – <5 – 4.8 – x –4.7 – 4.8 -

Poshtotty – 7.0 – 6.9 – x – x – x -

Robbity – 5.9 – 5.9 – 6.2 – 5.9 – 6.4 -

Sable_Jan – 5.2 – 5.4 – 5.3 – 5.8 – 5.6 -

Sanguine – 5.6 – 5.8 – 5.7 – 5.6 – 5.2 -

Silver Hammer – 5.1 – 5.2 – 4.8 –4.6 – 4.8 -

Sjm1966 – 4.7 – x – x –x – x -

S_k_s - 4.3 – 5.2 – 4.6 –4.5 – 5.8 -

Susikav – 4.8 – 5.8 – 5.6 – 6.0 – 6.1 -

Vit90 – 5.5 – 5.9 – 5.2 –5.4 – 5.1 -

Weefergus – 7.2 – 7.0 – 6.5 - 6.1 – 6.7 -

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 13 people

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I really don't know the answer to that one, in the same way some people literally take their fasting figures on waking. I have always taken mine after getting ready for work, shower, shave dressing etc but before breakfast.

If I do that I get "liver intervention" so it's (occasionally has been a lot) higher than an immediately on waking reading. I like to see if possible what i've managed without that help!

@s_k_s: Today's fasting was a bit higher at 6.4....

Saw own GP yesterday for a (nondiabetic) check up, and he agreed 12 months is too long between HBA1Cs so I'm having a test on 17th.

Robbity

Reactions: 7 people

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I'm sure there's more.
Reactions: 4 people
Status
Not open for further replies.