Type 2's: What was your fasting blood glucose in a morning?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Talos

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Unfriendly people, MP's,
When I used my Freestyle meter my readings averaged 5.6 , I ran out of strips and changed to a Codefree meter , now my average is 6.8, I have not changed my eating habits or anything else but the meter, these averages are over about 2 weeks . I think as a type2 relying on the actual numbers can be misleading and I look more for trends up/down in my readings.

Ps At present I only do a fasting test on waking in the mornings.

Reactions: 5 people

kimbo1962

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Good morning from sunny skegness!! 5.7 on waking- after a day of mainly 5 's all day yesterday, went to 6.5 an hour after having an apple- was curious to see how I would do with that, I'm guessing that's okish? Was back down to 5.6 by bedtime though, dinner was steak, mushrooms, salad, sugar free jelly and cream!

AmandaAnne

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I hate abuse of any kind to humans or animals. I dislike judgmental people and people who are generally unkind, inconsiderate and have problems understanding the issues faced by others. I hate snakes!!! Cringe if I smell TCP!! and I cannot bare garlic!!
6.3 this morning and very happy with that. :)

Reactions: 4 people

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Whilst my numbers are great, and my averages have shaved a little more since my last HbA1c, at the beginning of May, I must be having some higher numbers that I'm not seeing, or how could my A1c be 5.3%? I'll stick with it, though. Life could be so much worse than I have it.

In mmol/l units this equates to 5.8mmol/l http://www.diabetes.co.uk/hba1c-units-converter.html Numbers that most of us would kill for, and I can only admire you for the hard work you have put in. I have a long way to go!

5.9 on going to bed, 5.9 this morning. Above average. :mad:

gfmoore

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
6.9 at 7:05am, so having trouble getting it back down after my rice etc. That'll teach me.

Decided to have breakfast this morning, just two sausages and bam, my bg went up to 8.9. I tested twice as I thought it was an error, the second reading was 9.1. I haven't had readings that high since before I took control. And all I've been doing this am is just having a nice quiet time.

Liver, what are you doing to me!!! coz it sure aint the sausages.

I'll have a look in an hour. Can't go for a walk this am as I do have to get off to work. If they are still high I might pop a gliclazide - man I'm a druggie now!!

Last edited by a moderator:

cold ethyl

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
A whopping 6.8 after the night from hell. I'll be glad to be post menopausal not this pre-menopausal purgatory. Vivid dreams, panic attacks and night sweats don't make for great fasting blood sugars.

cold ethyl

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Diet and exercise only. Absolutely no medication. No supplements. No special herbs. No tonics.

That said, I am currently in a very happy, stress-free place in my life, which undoubtedly helps. We live in a tropical climate. I swim in the Caribbean every day. We ride our bikes, sail, and generally enjoy ourselves. I'm going to be interested to see how things evolve when I'm back in UK in the autumn, for a few months. I have to do some business whilst back, and that'll involve stress, no doubt.

Generally, though, I am incredibly stubborn, which, make no mistake can be as destructive as it can be positive. My OH tells me he has never seen me so determined as I have been in dealing with this issue, and trust me, he's known me through some difficult times. I was diagnosed 3 weeks before coming on this big trip, and just decided to take it by the throat and give it a decent old shake.

To be honest, whilst I have put in the hard yards, I have to have been very lucky to have caught this at a time when I could make a positive impact. When I see the effort some people make, I'm humbled.

Whilst my numbers are great, and my averages have shaved a little more since my last HbA1c, at the beginning of May, I must be having some higher numbers that I'm not seeing, or how could my A1c be 5.3%? I'll stick with it, though. Life could be so much worse than I have it.

Perhaps your meter reads low? Or you just aren't picking up the spikes as maybe your liver and pancreas are dealing with stuff before you even see it on meter.

Reactions: 2 people

gfmoore

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
oh oh oh. I just remembered I rubbed some piroxicam on my arm this morning as this pain (myopathy) I have in the left triceps muscle is doing my head in. It's the first time I've rubbed it in before I go to work. I've also rubbed it in a few times at night over the last few days.

upload_2014-7-8_10-15-6.png

See where I had my Chinese, just before the marker on 6/7. See how high my levels have been since then. See the spike this am. I'm just trying to remember exactly when I started using it(occasionally) It's only in the last few days that's for sure.

I bet this non-steroid gel is killing me. Off to do some research... see ya.

I'm back

I cannot believe this: Talk about side effects - scroll down to you get to "hepatic" liver! This is dangerous stuff.

I'm a bit disappointed in myself. By now I should be checking out any medicine I get given BEFORE I use it.

http://www.drugs.com/sfx/piroxicam-side-effects.html

http://www.livestrong.com/article/381639-anti-inflammatory-drugs-that-raise-glucose/

For some people it lowers bg

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1459600

I don't fully understand this next one, but it appears to muck around with glycogen in the liver

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1338186

I'll leave it here and report back tomorrow am, see if the levels have subsided.

Debmcgee

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Diagnosed prediabetic Easter 2014. Just left to get on with it, no guidance or help from GP. Every day I'm learning something new.

Reactions: 4 people

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Perhaps your meter reads low? Or you just aren't picking up the spikes as maybe your liver and pancreas are dealing with stuff before you even see it on meter.

My meter could well read low. Provided the trends make sense, I'm fine with that. I'm also acutely aware I am having fairly frequent liver activity, when I go low, and I sort of encourage it. Or, to be clearer, I don't discourage it. My take is that for non-diabetics the liver plays an important regulatory role, and I don't want it to forget that part of its functionality, or to make it lazy, by it expecting me to intervene and do its work for it, by eating when I don't otherwise see or feel the need. This home remains jelly baby/glucotabs/Lucozade free.

I'm in UK for a couple of months. In 3 weeks, and my OH won't follow until October, so I can have some selfish me time, with my diabetes. One of the reasons I fancy access to the home A1c tester, and another stash of strips, is to experiment a little further. I would like to understand a few 24 hour cycles, with extreme testing. Actually, I'd love to try a CGM for a couple of weeks, but not sure how I could go about that. I may ask at my surgery f they have one I could borrow (and self fund the sensors). That information would be fascinating to someone like me who luuuurves data.

Whilst my levels, for lab based A1cs, are comfortably in the non-diabetic ranges, I'm not going to go too much further with long terms changes, but I still have a massive level of curiosity I'd like to satisfy.

Just call me Sherlock. :pompous:

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
A whopping 6.8 after the night from hell. I'll be glad to be post menopausal not this pre-menopausal purgatory. Vivid dreams, panic attacks and night sweats don't make for great fasting blood sugars.

poor you. Sending virtual hugs.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@gfmoore

The drug companies do have to cover every single possibility when publishing side effects or they could be in serious trouble, but this sounds horrendous! Your piroxicam is a rub on gel, so maybe not so dangerous? I was given a non-steroidal gel last year but got a really bad rash, so I binned it.

gfmoore

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I would like to understand a few 24 hour cycles, with extreme testing. Actually, I'd love to try a CGM for a couple of weeks, but not sure how I could go about that. ..That information would be fascinating to someone like me who luuuurves data.

..., but I still have a massive level of curiosity I'd like to satisfy.

Just call me Sherlock. :pompous:

Hey Sherlock, you and me both.

That is what I did when I first realised I had to be serious about this. I tested every hour for a couple of days, even during the night. I set my iphone to wake me. A bit surreal, but I learnt a lot about my cycle and my DP.

Go for it.

My level has come down now, but is still erratic - after effects perhaps? It didn't really do the pain much good either. I should really do another experiment to see if it pushes ny bg up again, but you know what, I'm not going to. :)

minidvr

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Politics, Celebrity Life Styles being pushed as the ideal.
Don't do a morning test. But at 5.45 am my BS was 6. Just random, because my normal testing is 2 hrs after meals and the last one of those was 4.6 and I've averaged between 5.2 to 4.6 for the past 4 weeks, the last 3 weeks being in the 4's. I presume the early morning reading, after night fast is due to the additional sugar rush that comes as you get up. But will be testing early mornings over the next few weeks just to see whether it's consistent at that.

Rory lad

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
4.1 this morning.

@minidvr it might be an interesting exercise for you to test one hour after meals to see how high you spike after eating. Your two hour test numbers are great but your one hour post prandial might be why your fasting number is higher - and of course the early morning liver dump also contributes.

Reactions: 3 people

poshtotty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
7.1 for me this morning after a 5.6 reading at bedtime. Zilch taken in between, not even meds. Ugh!

Debmcgee

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Diagnosed prediabetic Easter 2014. Just left to get on with it, no guidance or help from GP. Every day I'm learning something new.

Reactions: 3 people
Status
Not open for further replies.