Unbelievable!! Disgusting!!

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
I wrrote to my local PCT West Berkshire, to ask why no diabetes training is being offered. this is the reply I got
The educational courses which you refer to have not historically been
funded by the PCT. PCTs have limited financial resources and as a
result we have to prioritise our expenditure. Although we have put in
financial bids in previous years in order to develop a formal
educational programme for our Diabetes patients, there has not been
enough money in the system to develop the Diabetes service in this
manner. The only formal programme we have currently is for all new type
2 patients. We have appointed an administrator to support this
educational programme. We do have some patient education as part of our
contracted Diabetes service provided by the Royal Berkshire Hospital NHS
Foundation Trust - however this is an informal education carried out
through patient / clinician contact.

Diabetes education is something that we would wish to develop and it
remains on our agenda.
How much are they paying that administrator and the diabetes educators(yes 2 of them) and for what??
I was never offered the course and I was once newly diagnosed. NICE guidelines anybody??

tubolard

Dislikes
Fasteddie; Richard K Bernstein; William S. Atkins; Rosemary Bloody Conley;
Not necessarily NICE guidelines Hana, more Diabetes NSF.

I know DESMOND is thought only of value to those people with diabetes who have been diagnosed three months or less, they will exceptionally include those who have had a diagnosis for six months or less.

I'm not sure about X-PERT (another course for type 2s) or DAFNE.

Regards, Tubs.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
My complaint is that neither T1 husband nor I has ever been offered ANY training. He's had a session eith a dietitian, which he didn't rate very highly. I've had nothing. Probably because I was in hospital at the time of diagnosis. Anyway that's too long ago. I'm sure that Now I know far more than they do.

brianb

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I attended my Desmond course just last month and was diagnosed in March this year so was well out of the 3 month deadline to do the course.

I think its shocking that you have never been offered anything at all.

Mind you the Desmond course was nothing special, i felt it was more of a "its your fault your diabetic" "and Obese" that went on to say we have been eating all the wrong foods??? Then they told us to eat starchy carbs etc etc. They did not like it when i kept butting in :twisted:

Brian

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
Thanks Brian!
I'm actually certain that the Desmond course wouldn't suit me at all. I am a low carber and have been for a couple of years. It's 5 years since diagnosis and I've learned much.( I couldn't have achieved my numbers on their regime 4s and 5s and almost never a 6.( last HbA1c a year ago 6.1%) I am teaching my GP as well. Luckily he's receptive. He says that a lot of thinking is going our way now. My anger is because they just don't do what they are meant to and now are employing at least 3 people not to do it.

Trinkwasser

hanadr said:
Anyway that's too long ago. I'm sure that Now I know far more than they do.

Indeed! It may not be such a bad thing if you consider what the training would probably train them to do. They'd be better off being pointed here or to other forums and newsgroups or being given a printed copy of Test Test Test rather than the ****** diet sheet.

I am teaching my GP as well. Luckily he's receptive. He says that a lot of thinking is going our way now

Exactly!

My anger is because they just don't do what they are meant to and now are employing at least 3 people not to do it.

Welcome to the NHS where there are now more managers than nurses and more clerical than medical staff.

ally5555

trink that is very true and the front line staff are at breaking point.

I saw a post from a dietitian recently on a dietetic forum - she has been asked to see 30 follow up pts in a 3 hour session - it is ludicrous.

I do a session on a dafydd course and that has been funded by sponsorship - that is how a lot of LHB /PCt are funding them !

fergus

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I'm with Tubs on this one.
Hana, missing out on the starchy carb brainwashing might just have been your lucky break!
I sat through the Desmond training DVD's and my lasting memory is of two sincere and well meaning people delivering information that was well past its sell-by date. :shock:

fergus

IanD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Carbohydrates
ally5555 said:
I saw a post from a dietitian recently on a dietetic forum - she has been asked to see 30 follow up pts in a 3 hour session - it is ludicrous.
No problem - get them all together & do 2 hours lecture & 1 hour Q & A.

ally5555

ian - alot of people are quiet or shy and dont like that - people need decent appointment times.

i do alot of diabetes sessions on a program we run and every time there is one person who dominated the talk and no one can get a word in - doesnt suit everyone. Now there is a thought imagine getting u lot together!!!!

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
Know any brave dieticians that would take that meeting,Ally!? :lol: :lol: :lol:

graham64

Dislikes
Ironing, cooking, shopping. Pessimists, people with sense of humour bypass. Speed cameras Traffic wardens, Nanny state and Hypocrites
Good idea Ally we could teach you a thing or two about Diabetic diets :roll: :roll: :roll:

ally5555 said:
ian - alot of people are quiet or shy and dont like that - people need decent appointment times.

i do alot of diabetes sessions on a program we run and every time there is one person who dominated the talk and no one can get a word in - doesnt suit everyone. Now there is a thought imagine getting u lot together!!!!

graham64

Dislikes
Ironing, cooking, shopping. Pessimists, people with sense of humour bypass. Speed cameras Traffic wardens, Nanny state and Hypocrites
At being stroppy :?: :?: :?:

ally5555 said:
cheeky graham - i would take it no probs - i can deal with stropy individuals as I have years of practice.

ally5555

i actuallay think it sounds a good idea .

I love doing workshops /talks etc but on a more serious note it doesnt suit everyone.

graham64

Dislikes
Think I stick with my Dietitian the lovely Linda, after reading some of the posts on here I've got a gem.