Understanding Results ...please help

Hi Guys,

I am a diabetic from couple of years now recently moved to UK. I had my first test in GP a week back. I have got an appointment with diabetic nurse on 20th March. But I just called up the GP and got to know my results.

Below is what results I was being told – can someone please tell what’s bad and what’s very bad in this.

Serum cholesterol levels 4.9
Calculated LDL 3.2
Calculated HDL 4.1
Liver Function Normal
BG (Fasting) 8.4
HBA1C 75 mmol/mol

I know my BG was high when I when in for test but I have been managing and monitoring since them (Accu Check Compact Plus) almost 3-4 times a day since last 3 weeks

3 weeks Average – 7.5
1 week average - 6.8

Please help to understand the results

Also – Can I get a copy of my reports or GP’s don’t give that, what is the process I need to follow to get a copy of my reports for my records as I might travel to a different country in next 1-2 years.

What question to ask the nurse, how can I be referred to a dietician….

sumitkumar0102

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I always ask for a copy of my results when I see the nurse at the clinic after my results come back ,I have never been refused but I have had to sign that it is ok for me to take them out of the surgery :!:
CAROL

Dougie22

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
My GP is pretty much against giving out info to patients ("it'll only confuse and worry them") but even she printed off my results when I asked, without batting an eye. I don't think this is a problem. Just ask.

alaska

Hi Sumit

The HbA1c is on the high side. A result of below 48 mmol/l is the general target.

Don't get too worried by this, by applying certain rules, you can make good in-roads in getting the HbA1c number down in future.

Some of us, particularly the type 2s on here, can get the HbA1c quite a bit lower than this too with some dedication.

The forum's basic advice is available here
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/diabetes-forum/viewtopic.php?f=39&t=26870

Ed

weeezer

are we really supposed to aim for under 48/6.5%? my last was 51/6.8% and i was happy with that :(

sumit your hbA1c equates to 9% in old money, so i'm sure you'd like to lower this, i would've thought to lower it to anything near 59/7.5% would be a good start! (but that's only my humble opinion!)

overall cholesterol looks within normal range tho?

i've just asked receptionist at my surgery for all my recent results (as the clinic i will be attending is out of the area they 'connect' with so none of my results would be accessible via computer) - they were happy to just print it!

good luck with DSN appt, sure they'll help you with advice on how to lower your hbA1c