VAIN THREAD ALERT!! Diabetes and Complexion

Neemo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Who else has to work really hard to get/maintain a healthy, glowy complexion??

I think it's an overlooked/little discussed aspect of diabetes; the effect it has on the small blood vessels in the face (not going sciency. ..let someone else do that)

Exercise is the only thing that gives me a nice complexion, otherwise my skin appears quite dull and lifeless.:(

To those who say it's vanity, I say; "If you look good, You feel good, If you feel good, you do good:))

Thoughts??

Celeriac

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I consume 8 out of 12 and I wouldn't say that mine is stellar.

G

graj0

Who else has to work really hard to get/maintain a healthy, glowy complexion??

I think it's an overlooked/little discussed aspect of diabetes; the effect it has on the small blood vessels in the face (not going sciency. ..let someone else do that)

Exercise is the only thing that gives me a nice complexion, otherwise my skin appears quite dull and lifeless.:(

To those who say it's vanity, I say; "If you look good, You feel good, If you feel good, you do good:))

Thoughts??

From the little I read I can only think that the damage to small blood vessels is the same as to the bigger blood vessels and to do with poor BG control. But that's only guessing.

I've been lucky myself because when they were looking into the possibility of me having sleep apnea (I don't), the consultant said that I didn't look a day over 45, great to hear when you reach 63.

Reactions: 2 people

Celeriac

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I swear by organic Virgin coconut oil as a moisturiser, anywhere except my hair - Extra Virgin organic olive oil works better on that. Just slather it, wrap an old towel round hair turban style for 2hrs (or longer if poss) and wash hair.

RuthW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Yes, I was looking really grey in the face last year. Then I got my pump and my skin improved immensely. Now I've learned how to manipulate it for exercising, my skin is all pink and blowy most of the time. When I was younger I regularly had acne with very poor healing. Now I know that was a symptom of poor blood sugar control in me.