Vegetarian, newly diagnosed and utterly confused!!

summer dreamer

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have been veggie for 30 years, ironically because of a strong family history of bowel cancer, nobody's made it past 50 yet. However now I'm diagnosed realise that it's always been a very carb heavy diet, and subscribed to the "low fat" regime so lots of hidden sugars.
I've been reading about LCHF diets on here. Is it possible to do this and remain vegetarian? Or am I just limiting my good choices way too much?
Feel I'm going in circles and getting nowhere!!!
Any advice much appreciated.

Summer x

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi,

There are loads of vegetarians on this forum following the low carb diets. I'm not one of them so haven't any useful advice, but I'm sure someone will come along soon with some tips.

Scimama

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi
It is possible to do LCHF and vegetarian, though it takes a bit more planning.

I have been lifelong vegi, and like you I previously had a low fat, high complex carb diet, lots of fruit and veg, pasta, multi grains etc.

I did lots of searches for low carb recipes and adapted them to vegetarian.

One of the best books I have is Rose Elliots Low carb diet.

Using cauliflower as a substitute for rice and mash (and savoury crumble toppings), courgettes strips or leeks as pasta substitute have helped.

Protein sources such as tofu are low carb.

Do you eat eggs and diary?

The low carb diet forum has lots of great recipes, some really good ones for bread.

Reactions: 2 people

summer dreamer

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks scimama, I do eat eggs and dairy. I've ordered the Rose Elliott low carb book. Can't quite get my head around cauliflower mash but I'll have to give it a go!!
My husband is suggesting I at least eat fish. Even though my becoming veggie was nothing to do with animal welfare and all about health it seems a huge paradigm shift to start eating any of if again!

Summer x

A

Avocado Sevenfold

Hi Summer

I am a type 2 vegetarian and enjoy a LCHF diet. My hba1c came down to non-diabetic levels in the first 4 months since diagnosis this way so it is very do-able.

I honestly can say that I don't find the new way of eating limiting at all. After 38 years of vegetarianism, it has been quite good to shake things up a bit, discover new dishes, be creative. I also find it comforting that, whatever diabetes is trying to throw at me, it can't touch my veggieness :p

If there is anything I can do to help, let me know :)

summer dreamer

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks Avocado Sevenfold,

It's good to hear from someone who's successful with it. I guess step number one is getting the Rose Elliott book, that will hopefully give me a good starting point when it arrives.

I'm using "my fitness pal" app to keep track of what I am eating. Used a lot of quorn over the last few years, not sure if that's good or bad now?!

Always eaten together as a family. Never believed in cooking different things for different members of the family. Really gonna take some getting my head round.

Summer x

Scimama

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi
yes getting your head around using cauliflower as rice and mash substitute can be a little difficult.

I thought it wouldn't work and would be like over boiled spouts - yuk!
But I was really surprised at how well it does work, I actually prefer it as I don't get the bloated feeling I used to get with potatoes and rice.

As Avocado Sevenfold posted above - its great to experiment :) and getting your HbA1c levels down is doable.

I noticed you said you have been a vegetarian for 30 years, you might find you can no longer tolerate meat and have difficulty digesting it. (I'd suggest if you did want to introduce it into your diet go slowly).

A

Avocado Sevenfold

There are lots of ideas over on the low carb board. I post a lot on the "what have you eaten..." thread and post photos of low carb veggie meals if it helps http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/what-have-you-eaten-today.36803/

Quorn has some carbs but I find it fine as long as it is not breaded or battered.

Pulses are quite high in carbs, but I tested my reaction to them and can eat them in moderation. Hopefully you have a blood glucose monitor so you can test too. Very important in the early days.

summer dreamer

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
My GP hasn't given me a monitor. Something else to research!

The whole thing has knocked me for 6 at the moment, reeling a bit still. BUT very determined that it will not steal my future.

Will have a look at your link thanks.

Summer x

K

Kat100

Hello summer dreamer,

Nice to meet you, you will find lots of ideas here, I am a medium carb person with a low fat diet , veggie all my life ....there are so many diet choices, I have not really had to adapt my veggie diet very much but I do watch portion sizes .....for example I do have small jacket potatoes and small portions of rice ....but that is my choice and it works for me :)

Eggs , not often I do go vegan sometimes .....veggie all my life .....dare I say 50 years :/ no don't tell anyone .....I was a child of the sixties so what do you expect !!!!!!

I have found some good ideas here and I do sometimes have low carb meals as well , anything can be done .....
I have learnt about almond flour to bake with , I have bought the flour but still have to try it , muffins will be my next baking challenge :)
Good luck with your diet , hope what ever you decide works for you ......best wishes Kat in 14 months my hba1c reduced from 18 to 5.7
I guess I do the low everything diet ....and yes quorn seems to work ....

Enclave

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Summer D ...I am type 2 and a veggie, you can do this ... Just adapt low carb meals to vegetarian alternatives. I did not like the collieflower mash, rather just have the collieflower straight. Do get a meter to test, then you will see what food affects you.
Please don't let people pressure you into eating fish or meat.

Reactions: 5 people

Scimama

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
My GP hasn't given me a monitor. Something else to research!

The whole thing has knocked me for 6 at the moment, reeling a bit still. BUT very determined that it will not steal my future.

Will have a look at your link thanks.

Summer x

Hi,
My GP refused to give me a monitor, as I insisted I wanted to try diet controlled methods before medicine. (He was convinced I would fail :p I got my HbA1c down to below 30).
I did lots of reading on the forums here and found that whilst the monitor are affordable or even free, the test strips that you use can be very expensive.
The one I bought had (and I think still does) the cheapest test strips, its called SDcodefree, available from various websites including Amazon.

As Avocado Sevenfold says, it is really important to test the effect of each food type, some people can eat bread and not raise blood glucose levels too much - others can't.

I remember how daunting I found the early days (only 4 years ago) and I spent many a time crying thinking I was going to die and leave my young family motherless ;) I took control of my diabetes and have good BG control, you are already taking control by being on this forum.

Ask as many questions as you need and lots of experienced members (much more knowledgeable than me!) will be able to give you their advice and support.

Enclave

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I was also told not to test and not to low carb ... So got my own meters Codefree is good and cheep strips. I also listened to the people here and my meter has proved that low carb works ... I don't see eye to eye with my DBn or dr on this ... But they also don't approve of veggies .... ,! So I seem to be going it alone....hope yours is more helpfull

Reactions: 5 people
A

Avocado Sevenfold

I echo what enclave says. The doc and nurse told me not to test, but I would bet my house they would be testing every waking hour if they had T2 :confused: My dietitian needs locking up.

You are here now Summer, you'll be find :)

Reactions: 4 people
K

Kat100

I was also told not to test and not to low carb ... So got my own meters Codefree is good and cheep strips. I also listened to the people here and my meter has proved that low carb works ... I don't see eye to eye with my DBn or dr on this ... But they also don't approve of veggies .... ,! So I seem to be going it alone....hope yours is more helpfull
This is where I feel very lucky indeed , a diabetic and veggie gp .....

A

Avocado Sevenfold

Oi Kat...about the veggie lime jelly. It has bad reviews on amazon, but I used it to make a low carb key lime pie at the weekend and it was great. It is made by Simply Delish and has a proper wobble!

(Didn't want to hijack peacetrains thread, so hijacking this one instead :jimlad:)

Heathenlass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Another veggie low carber here ! Welcome !:)

Rose Elliot's books have already been mentioned, and there is another one by Celia Brooks " Low Carb and Gluten Free Vegetarian " that has some lovely recipes:)

I use Quorn as a base, and Tesco also have some soy based mince/chunks etc that are quite good. Beware the ones made with soy AND wheat though, they are higher in carbs. I know soya is not to everyone's taste and controversial, but if you include it in your diet, the Tesco range is quite good and not too costly.

I can tolerate small amounts of pulses and legumes, but as always, it's trial and substitutions where necessary;)

I just rememberd another book I found useful - "Vegetarian Slow Cooker" by Judith Finlayson. Though not specifically low carb, some recipes are anyway and others adapted. She has another bookon slow cooking for diabetics that gives the carb count of the recipes, but the section for vegetarians is quite small. Her "New Age Succotash " recipe is in both, and delicious .

Last night I made cauliflower base pizza for the first time, and it was lush :D

Good luck and happy veggie low carbing - there is a whole world of t new and delicious aste experiences to be found :)

Signy