Vegetarian

Silver5374

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi everyone, anyone got any ideas on what to eat on lchf as I have went completely off meat and don't eat eggs.

Thanks

S

Shar67

Nuts, vegi cheese, I also way fish once a week so strictly not total vegetarian

Silver5374

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Can't eat fish, makes me ill. Just a bit worried about eating cauliflower and green beans every day and night as everything else is high in carbs

A

Avocado Sevenfold

Hi everyone, anyone got any ideas on what to eat on lchf as I have went completely off meat and don't eat eggs.

Thanks
Hi. Have you checked out this thread for ideas?

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/vegetarian-vegan-low-carb-recipe-index.61859/

If you like pulses, use your meter to see how you get on with them. They are quite high in carbs on paper, but you may be lucky (like me) and not see a spike if you eat a moderate amount. I also eat lots of nuts, seeds and dairy. Lidl high protein/low carb rolls are vegan and handy for lunches. Berries, avocados, rhubarb, curries, chillies, soups...so much stuff.

@Sobeit is an egg-free veggie who may have some ideas for you.

Silver5374

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Brilliant thanks. Just lost almost a stone and don't want to put it back on but meat is really turning my stomach just now.

Sobeit

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks for the tag @Avocado Sevenfold .Well done on the weightloss @Silver5374. I am an.eggless veggie .Mostly for breckie I have dairy or soy natural yoghurt ,a few sliced strawberries/ blueberries and sliced almonds which being protein will lower the glycemic index of the food. I make a lovely seed bread and if I have 2 thin slices it doesnt spike BS too high! Sometimes I have a little sugarfree jam on this .Yumm! :) For lunch today I had a bowl of homemade lentil/ veggie soup( try to regularly make this) and 2 corn crackers with hummus,olives ,avocado and sundried tomatoes as a topping.A stirfry for evening meal,or a nut cutlet with maybe some salad etc ..or I might just make do with another bowl of soup with added kidney or butter beans in place of the odd meal. I do allow myself to enjoy the odd indian takeaway as a treat eating less of the rice and naan though when I have one I give myself a break from counting carbs..red wine helps to keep the blood sugar in check so this is a must along side the indian . This is by far the best tip I have read on here LOL.;)The rest of meal gets eaten for next day lunch or if Im feeling kind I will let the hubby have it. No bread ,spuds,rice ,pasta as a rule except for the bit of rice with indian.meal. I do eat popcorn or nuts as a snack. The odd piece of dark choc now that my bs levels are more acceptable and I enjoy a regular glass or three of red wine sometimes with a couple of low carb crackers with toppings:)!

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 2 people

Silver5374

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks @Sobeit. I have been having a green smoothie for breakfast, spinach, courgette, celery, ginger and frozen pineapple. Then lunch cauliflower or squash soup. But dinners I am just picking at some stir fry peppers and broccoli.

I didn't think I could use lentils or crackers. Been making ones from here from a recipe (or should I say wife has been making ha ha) but they run out very quickly. My blood is averaging around 6 ish so I am
Happy with that. But don't want to load up on too many veg and even though it sounds ridiculous to some, put on weight with the extra carbs.

Celeriac

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
See if you can find The Low Carb Vegetarian Diet by Rose Elliot and have a look at that. I have a bad habit of cutting up recipe books and just keeping the recipes like. I kept runner bean spaghetti with pesto, courgette ribbon 'pasta' with mushrooms and cream, spiced spinach, chilled avocado soup, cheese crisps and avocado, cottage cheese and spinach salad.

You'll find a few in the Riverford and Abel and Cole cookbooks or on their websites. Linda McCartney cookbooks have a few LC and you could try supermarket websites and Pinterest.

A

Avocado Sevenfold

Thanks
I didn't think I could use lentils or crackers. Been making ones from here from a recipe (or should I say wife has been making ha ha) but they run out very quickly. My blood is averaging around 6 ish so I am
Happy with that. But don't want to load up on too many veg and even though it sounds ridiculous to some, put on weight with the extra carbs.[/USER]
Are you eating enough fat? @Enclave lost a power of weight on a low carb/healthy fat vegetarian diet. His wife is a great cook so he might be able to share some tasty ideas.

Sorry but "picking at some stir fry peppers and broccoli" doesn't sound like it would feed a budgie! Are you not hungry? :wideyed:

Celeriac

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Silver5374 suggest you do a bit of Googling and find g of carbs per 100g which will reassure you that the majority of above ground veg are well under 10g of carbs for 100g. The main exceptions would be corn on the cob and sweetcorn, and some people have a prob with peas and broad beans.

Enclave

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Sliver :)
As @Avocado Sevenfold has said .. I have lost 5st on my LCHF way of eating and I am a vegetarian .. lots of great meals can be made with veggies .. cauliflower & broccoli roasted in oven and covered with melted cheese, or cheese sauce .. with a crunchy salad .. to warm you up on a cold day onion gravy with mushrooms sliced in it, LM veggie sausages and cauliflower mash and spring greens or cabbage ... or if you like curry a lovely biriani can be made with cauliflower riced, mushrooms & spices .. with a home made vegetable curry .. or how about a spagbol kinda ... Fry off some onion, and lots of different mushrooms .. bit of garlic, bay leaf and mixed herbs, add a tin of tomatoes tomatoes .olive oil and just before serving add shredded or thinly sliced courgettes .. serve with a crunchy salad ... yum...
What do you enjoy eating ?
edit to add ... graze on almonds .. or any nuts that don't rase your bs

Celeriac

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My latest discovery is a South African staple, now grown in the UK. Skorsie aka gem squashes are round green squashes. Quite fibrous ( but it fine in texture), low in calories and carbs. You can boil in abt 7 mins (or microwave even faster but do stab with fork) and just scoop out the seeds and add butter and seasoning. Or you can then bake them stuffed with all sorts. Tonight I had some stuffed with mushrooms, Mozzarella, cherry tomato, crushed walnuts. Half a one stuffed could be a starter, most recipes allow two squashes per person as a side dish.

You can get them from Waitrose, organic from Abel & Cole and from South African shops online sometimes. Price around 70-75p each for organic.

Hedonista

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I eat tofu quite often - I scramble plain tofu for breakfast, ie mash it and add turmeric, a dash of soy sauce, olive oil and garlic and heat through and have it with grilled mushrooms. I love smoked tofu in stir fries.
Some people don't like quorn on here - it's weird and highly processed, but I do sometimes have it - either the fake bacon, although I have to fry it in oil to make it palatable, or the fake chicken in a curry.
I can't eat most nuts or cow's milk products, so I do eat fish and some meat too, although I'd prefer not to eat any meat at all.
As others have said, courgette spaghetti with pesto is a great, quick meal.

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Cant really add anything to the above. I was vegetarian when I was diagnosed, I can't eat pulses. I got a meter and tested, ended up being starving so had to start eating meat again after 7 years. Be a bit wary of using soy though, google it if you need info. Good luck.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hedonista

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Cant really add anything to the above. I was vegetarian when I was diagnosed, I can't eat pulses. I got a meter and tested, ended up being starving so had to start eating meat again after 7 years. Be a bit wary of using soy though, google it if you need info. Good luck.

The trouble is, I think you (or at least I) have ended up having to choose the lesser of two evils a lot of the time. I choose Soy over factory farmed and slaughtered meat (I eat wild caught game) and I know that's an imperfect choice for lots of reasons too, but I have to eat SOMETHING, and even vegetables have implications!

Sobeit

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks @Sobeit. I have been having a green smoothie for breakfast, spinach, courgette, celery, ginger and frozen pineapple. Then lunch cauliflower or squash soup. But dinners I am just picking at some stir fry peppers and broccoli.

Happy with that. But don't want to load up on too many veg and even though it sounds ridiculous to some, put on weight with the extra carbs.
Sounds like a very healthy breakfast,good on u... and I might try making cauliflower soup .Sounds yumm! I would love the recipe for the crackers if u would like to share :)!

Silver5374

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
This was a recipe I found on here, can't take the credit for them and not sure who posted it originally, but thank you whoever you are they are delish.

Rosemary-Almond Multi-Seed Crackers

Ingredients

1 egg

1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil

1 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed

1/2 teaspoon salt

1/4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper

1 cup almond flour or almond meal

1/4 cup sunflower seed nuts

1/4 cup pepitas (hulled pumpkin seeds)

2 tablespoons sesame seeds

1 tablespoons poppy seeds

Directions

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F, 175 C. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.

2. In a medium bowl, lightly beat the egg. Stir in the olive oil, rosemary, salt, and pepper. Add the almond flour and assorted seeds and stir until thoroughly blended.

3. Roll dough out with a rolling pin between two sheets of parchment paper. Roll dough as thin as you can get it (about the thickness of the pepitas). Cut using cookie cutters or with a knife. I cut mine into about 1.5-inch squares. Place on cookie sheet and bake for 20 to 25 minutes, or until golden-brown and crispy.

Celeriac

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I was a vegetarian for 14 years, then rented a house with OH and he tempted me to the dark side with sausages. Most of my breakfasts, nearly all my weekday lunches and some of my dinners are vegetarian. I reckon that I could be veggie now and low carb, as generally we all overeat protein.

I had organic gem squash last night stuffed with Mozzarella, tomato, mushrooms and nuts - low carb, low calorie, nutritious and what's more, if you can find them, gem squashes are generally only 70 - 75p each.

Silver5374

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Cauliflower soup, when my wife first made it and put it down too me and told me just to eat it, not to ask any questions. (She does that a lot as for me I just assume I don't like things before I even try them)

The soup is amazing, I love it and it's so filling.

We tried making a pakora recipe on here last night made with coconut flour but it just fell apart in the pan. Also made a crumble with almond flour, it was ok but I'm not sure I would have it again.

I dislike courgettes, aubergine, sweet potato, squash, the list goes on but I know my wife puts them in food and doesn't tell me. As I know my smoothie has courgette in it.

Think this lifestyle is all about trial and error.

We are going to try and find a bread recipe even for just one slice of bread. Wife used to make this amazing chorizo bread and I miss it with a big plate of homemade soup.

Thank you all for the info, it's all very helpful.

SunnyExpat

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Cauliflower soup, when my wife first made it and put it down too me and told me just to eat it, not to ask any questions. (She does that a lot as for me I just assume I don't like things before I even try them)

The soup is amazing, I love it and it's so filling.

We tried making a pakora recipe on here last night made with coconut flour but it just fell apart in the pan. Also made a crumble with almond flour, it was ok but I'm not sure I would have it again.

I dislike courgettes, aubergine, sweet potato, squash, the list goes on but I know my wife puts them in food and doesn't tell me. As I know my smoothie has courgette in it.

Think this lifestyle is all about trial and error.

We are going to try and find a bread recipe even for just one slice of bread. Wife used to make this amazing chorizo bread and I miss it with a big plate of homemade soup.

Thank you all for the info, it's all very helpful.

Chorizo bread sounds like a brilliant idea!