1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2017 »
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Vertigo ...is not fear of heights ...

Discussion in 'Type 2 Diabetes' started by Debzz_, Nov 10, 2017.

1. Debzz_

Debzz_ Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I’ve been away to Portugal for a few days . Lovely weather and food ( I was mostly good lots of fish and salad ) . Felt a bit yucky after the return flight. Yesterday felt sick , muzzy head , dizzy etc . Took myself to docs ( amazinginly get seen once mention diabetic ha ha ) anyway I have a nasty case of vertigo. It’s probably viral Doctor says .I’m feeling exhausted. It could last for weeks . Apparently I may also have done too much walking .... can’t win can you

• Hug Hug x 5
  2. Guzzler

Guzzler Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Vertigo is a bummer :hungover:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  3. Grateful

Grateful Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I get it frequently but seems to be entirely psychological. My trigger is seeing someone else who is, for instance, standing on the edge of a cliff. It happens not only in real life but even if I am watching a TV program where someone is in such a situation.

(I also get vertigo if in such a situation myself, but that's very rare because you would never catch me deliberately putting myself there!)

Edited to add: This is surely completely different from "medical" vertigo.

4. Guzzler

Vertigo has absolutely nothing to do with a fear of heights. Nothing.
    There is no such term as 'medical vertigo'. Vertigo is what it is, a physiological response to stimuli.
    I have a condition that causes acute attacks of vertigo, I may be in the infancy stage of my research into T2 but vertigo is something I know and live with. Believe me when I say that feeling a bit queasy at the sight of of a Big Dipper ride is nowt.

• Informative Informative x 2
  5. Grateful

I stand corrected.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  6. Debzz_

Debzz_ Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Lol this isn’t vertigo - vertigo is an imbalance of the inner ear .

• Informative Informative x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  7. Grateful

As I said already, I stand corrected. I learn something new every day.

Edited to add: Hope you get better soon.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  8. Grateful

Upon further research, I pinned down the error.

"Fear of heights" is called "acrophobia." I probably have a fairly extreme version of it. I was watching the TV news tonight and they had a feature on a sport called "slacklining" which basically involves stringing lines between mountains and walking along them. I could barely watch and when I did, had this really queasy sensation in my stomach.

What may have happened is a linguistic mixup. My first language is French and our word for "fear of heights" is "vertige." So this is what we call linguistically a "false friend." When I learned most of my English (after the age of 10) I must have just commingled that with the English word "vertigo."

@Debzz_ I do hope you get better soon and sorry for the misunderstanding. I do love walking, and hiking, especially in the UK when I get the chance to go there (I am in America).

9. Prem51

Prem51 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Well I've just learned something new too. I always thought I had vertigo. I can't climb ladders more than 4-5 feet, and don't like being on narrow high places like mountain ridges, which was a problem as I liked hiking holidays. But it seems it might be acrophobia rather than vertigo.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Guzzler

I blame that old, black and white movie starring Jimmy Stewart.

• Like Like x 2
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook