Very dissatisfied with BUPA Health Insurance, is it possible to switch?

Rabdos

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello

I am very dissatisfied with BUPA Health Insurance but at the same time I am not sure if all these companies are the same.
I may need to switch, is that something easy?
Do I need a broker for that?

My main concern is to keep the same protection level for all existing and future health conditions.

Thanks!

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My impression is that few, if any, will cover any existing conditions, or if they do, only at great cost.
I also believe that any insurer will at some point stop covering conditions they describe as "chronic" ie ongoing, as opposed to something "acute" ie short lived

Oh, I'm talking UK. Think you can just enquire for quotes.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello

I am very dissatisfied with BUPA Health Insurance but at the same time I am not sure if all these companies are the same.
I may need to switch, is that something easy?
Do I need a broker for that?

My main concern is to keep the same protection level for all existing and future health conditions.

Thanks!
Most providers will exclude pre-existing conditions, and if not, the costs would likely reflect that.

Whilst I'm sure you might like to handle this yourself, it might be wise to consult a broker before taking any actions. Aside from all else, they may have an affiliate scheme, which can be underwritten on a group basis and can have preferential terms.

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I have had membership to different healthcare insurances through work and these are foxed - one employer had BUPA, another had Vitality, another with ...
I have also taken on healthcare insurance myself for a short period of time when I continued treatment after leaving a job. However, this was very expensive as the "risk" is not shared amongst fellow employees.
Unfortunately, few cover existing conditions. I once had a condition covered by BUPA as it was discovered during the term of that policy but when I changed to another employer, this was with a different policy and cover for that condition was then deemed to be pre-existing so not covered even though it was still with BUPA.

• Informative
Reactions: zand

Outlier

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Might it be possible for you to start a savings account and put away what you would have spent on private health insurance? This would need a bit of luck with you staying healthy until you had a reasonable amount put by, but would solve the "is this a pre-existing condition" stumbling block.

Reactions: ElenaP