Wedding cakes

CrankyKat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Good evening all!

I am getting married next year and would like to get a cake that I can actually eat! Would anybody be able to point me in a direction of places that do diabetic friendly wedding cakes?

Much love xxx

Grateful

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Congratulations:):):):)! My eldest daughter, who is about your age, is also getting married next year!

I am going to be awfully naughty:D and suggest that you eat a slice of regular wedding cake.

Deanoh

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes ;)
@CrankyKat I've been looking for cake recently, mad cravings (do you think I'm pregnant?) haha, but during my search I recently came across this website: https://www.theheavenlycakecompany.co.uk/

Lists a lot about free from cakes, including sugar free, diabetic friendly cakes, delivered all over the UK - I have not or don't know anyone that's used this company though.

Last edited:

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Good evening all!

I am getting married next year and would like to get a cake that I can actually eat! Would anybody be able to point me in a direction of places that do diabetic friendly wedding cakes?

Much love xxx

Hi CrankyKat - Firstly, congratulations on your wedding next year.

I guess it depends whether you are considering a traditional, rich fruit, marzipan and icing style of wedding cake or something else.

At the last wedding I went to the groom didn't care for rich fruit cake, so one layer of their cake was sponge cake, but decorated the same way is the other tiers. That could be something to consider.

If you were considering something like tiered cupcakes, or whatever, that would make it quite simple.

That said, it is only one day and if you feel you want to, then a modest slice of your cake is unlikely to do any long terms harm.

There are also lots and lots of low carb cake recipes online, so maybe have a look at some of theose. maybe search "low carb celebrations cake" as well as "low carb wedding cake".

Reactions: Grateful

miahara

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Good evening all!

Much love xxx
Eat a slice and enjoy it! You are allowed occasional treats and your wedding day is something to be enjoyed regardless of your diabetes.

Reactions: Grateful

CrankyKat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Thank you for the congratulations it’s been great so far! I guess I’m after a sponge cake as I don’t care for fruit cake... too rich for me!

I would love to have a slice of normal cake but when my bloods are up I get soooooo thirsty I will just feel ****! Don’t fancy dashing to the loo every 10 mins! Especially when there playing agadoo!!! ;)

Grateful

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I would love to have a slice of normal cake but when my bloods are up I get soooooo thirsty I will just feel ****! Don’t fancy dashing to the loo every 10 mins! Especially when there playing agadoo!!! ;)

I'm sorry you get really thirsty when your bloods are up. Here's hoping that your doctor figures out how to improve it so you can tolerate a small slice of regular (non-"diabetic") wedding cake -- the sponge cake that you mentioned sounds good. I think you said (in another thread) that they are still working to figure out a number of things, so perhaps it's early days yet?

Reactions: CrankyKat

CrankyKat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Yes, it’s true apparently I am a mysterious case... there could be a chance I’m on insulin at that point so I’ll have to wait for the results to come back on that one!

Grateful

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes, it’s true apparently I am a mysterious case... there could be a chance I’m on insulin at that point so I’ll have to wait for the results to come back on that one!

Next time you see your doctor, I suggest you tell him about your wedding, if you haven't already. I am not saying it will change anything on the medical side (and it shouldn't) but it could help increase the rapport, and that is important with a condition like diabetes.

I will give you an example. For some reason I lucked out and ended up with a really empathetic doctor (who also knows his stuff!). As I was walking out of his surgery a couple of weeks ago he told me a story. He said one of his patients had T2D and, like me, had been managing his condition successfully (in this case for several years) with diet-only.

Then came the bad news: his HbA1c shot through the roof (it rose to more than 12% or 108) at a regular six-monthly check. The guy asked my doctor: "What can I do? I'm getting married next week, then going on honeymoon!"

My doctor's answer: "Congratulations. Go and get married. Enjoy your honeymoon. We'll deal with it when you get back."

This is actually a very brave thing for a doctor to do. It would be understandable if he had "covered his backside" and loaded the guy with drugs immediately, rather than waiting for the return from the honeymoon. He chose to do otherwise.

I don't know if this helps. Some people are much more anxious about their condition than others, and (understandably) other people really need to "play it safe."

Last edited:

CrankyKat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Next time you see your doctor, I suggest you tell him about your wedding, if you haven't already. I am not saying it will change anything on the medical side (and it shouldn't) but it could help increase the rapport, and that is important with a condition like diabetes.

I will give you an example. For some reason I lucked out and ended up with a really empathetic doctor (who also knows his stuff!). As I was walking out of his surgery a couple of weeks ago he told me a story. He said one of his patients had T2D and, like me, had been managing his condition successfully (in this case for several years) with diet-only.

Then came the bad news: his HbA1c shot through the roof (it rose to more than 12% or 108) at a regular six-monthly check. The guy asked my doctor: "What can I do? I'm getting married next week, then going on honeymoon!"

My doctor's answer: "Congratulations. Go and get married. Enjoy your honeymoon. We'll deal with it when you get back."

This is actually a very brave thing for a doctor to do. It would be understandable if Dr. K. had "covered his backside" and loaded the guy with drugs. He chose to do otherwise.

I don't know if this helps. Some people are much more anxious about their condition than others, and (understandably) other people really need to "play it safe."

Hiya!

I am a very anxious person with my diabetes. This is because I have recently also been diagnosed with stage 3 retinopathy and I think that my “YOLO” days are almost up.

I also have a sister with chrinic t1 diabetes and she also had the same attitude whom as we speak is in hospital dealing with her dialysis so you can understand I am much more aware of my condition.

I am no angel as I have just returned from a Chinese having stuffed my face with dim sum but cake generally spikes my blood up to 21 and if I see that I go into a melt down mode :(

Grateful

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am a very anxious person with my diabetes. This is because I have recently also been diagnosed with stage 3 retinopathy and I think that my “YOLO” days are almost up.

It is very tough. Far be it for me to suggest anyone be irresponsible. With your family history, and the retinopathy, it makes sense to be really careful. Take care.

CrankyKat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
It’s okay, a lot of people do the yolo thing I just can’t help but look at my sister and think s**t that could be me if I’m not careful!

Grateful

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It’s okay, a lot of people do the yolo thing I just can’t help but look at my sister and think s**t that could be me if I’m not careful!

That is understandable, and wise. I hope that your medical uncertainty gets clarified a bit by your doctor soon.

Edited to add: I'm fairly new to all this. What's YOLO?

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I didn’t read all the responses but my daughter got married a few months ago. She’s gluten free so had a small gluten free cake and lots of cupcakes for the guests. You could have a low carb small cheesecake for you and hubby, or just you, and have whatever cake you want for everyone else