licklemoose

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
the heat
metformin 500mg slow release
still eating what i normally would while checking sugars and logging what i cant eat
went to slimming world last week had a 6 1/2 lb gain but with the heat i had a lot of water retention
went last night and lost 9 1/2 lb., i even got back on the scales to double check........now i know a lot of that was water retention but does metformin make you lose weight or did i just have a lucky week?
im still holding onto the water though and its uncomfortable to walk
im at the drs tomorrow so i will see what she suggests

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
metformin 500mg slow release
still eating what i normally would while checking sugars and logging what i cant eat
went to slimming world last week had a 6 1/2 lb gain but with the heat i had a lot of water retention
went last night and lost 9 1/2 lb., i even got back on the scales to double check........now i know a lot of that was water retention but does metformin make you lose weight or did i just have a lucky week?
im still holding onto the water though and its uncomfortable to walk
im at the drs tomorrow so i will see what she suggests

it can make you at little less insuline resistant which means that your cells can uptake a bit more glucose and thereby lower blood glucose and also make ones liver transformate less protein into glucose... , then when your general blood sugar is lower you have an easier access to the use what is contained in the fat-cells and loose weight... it is important though that one does not use this to eat even more sugary and carb-rich foods... because then one can end up gaining instead .. so try to eat less carbs and you´ll have an easier time loosing weight.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes, Metformin will be helping a bit by reducing insulin resistance and the liver's glycogen (glucose) output. Be careful with SW that you follow a low-carb route as I believe they offer diets to suit all tastes and which may not therefore always work.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Too many carbs will raise your insulin levels. Too much insulin can stop you losing weight. Cutting right back on carbs will help you lose weight and lower your glucose levels. It's a win-win situation.

Reactions: Dave29