Went mad at Xmas 2020 - better now

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I do not often post in this thread, but I was a T2D on orals. I am still a T2D on orals, I have been using a Low Carb Higher Fat (LCHF) diet for some 6 years now, and my last HbA1c was 40. So I am in reasonable control. Or at least I was until Xmas Eve when I suspended my WOE in favour of some seasonal fare (lots of). I had a Carbfest. I had party snax on the Eve, Mince Pie. pastries, crisps, Pringles, Cheese straws, Xmas Cake - you name it. Next day had traditional turkey dinner, roasted spuds, carrots, parsnips, bread pudding. Followed by Plum Pud and Brandy Butter, The carb outrage contined till New year with choccies cake etc until NYE, but started tapering it off gradually.

Last night I surveyed the damage and totted up the records. The following results are averaged by at least a week, or up to a month for the pre Xmas totals

These are my declared results given as PRE / 2hr PP / 4hr PP in mmol/l (UK)

December = 5.6 / 6.5 / 5.4

Xmas Week = 5.8 / 8.7 / 6.3

Post NYE = 5.8 / 5.6 /5.5

I am surprised by these results. Yes, I did see a couple of 10's and a few 9's at the 2hrPP time, but they dropped down after., so I am still diabetic, but my beta cells are still doing what they are meant to. Yes, if I had a Libre, then it would show something nasty going on, but my results log ties in quite well with my HbA1c so I am not too bothered,

All in all I survived a tasty Xmas, and am back on the wagon again till my birthday later on in the year,

Last edited:
Reactions: simo_M and Rachox

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I do not often post in this thread, but I was a T2D on orals. I am srill a T2D on orals, I have been using a Low Carb Higher Fat (LCHF) diet for some 6 years now, and my last HbA1c was 40. So I am in reasonable control. Or at least I was until Xnas Eve when I suspended my WOE in favour od some seasonal fare (lots of). I had a Carbfest. I had party snax on the Eve, Mince Pie. pastries, crisps, Pringles, Cheese straws, Xmas Cake - you name it. Next day had traditional turkey dinner, roasted spuds, carrots, parsnips, bread pudding. Followed by Plum Pud and Brandy Butter, The carb outrage contined till New year with choccies caje etc ubtil NYE, but started tapering it off gradually.

Last night I surveyed the damage and rtodtted up the records. The following results are averaged by at least a week, or up to a month for the pre Xmas totals

Cmas Week = 5.8 / 8.7 /

Snap!

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I do not often post in this thread, but I was a T2D on orals. I am still a T2D on orals, I have been using a Low Carb Higher Fat (LCHF) diet for some 6 years now, and my last HbA1c was 40. So I am in reasonable control. Or at least I was until Xmas Eve when I suspended my WOE in favour of some seasonal fare (lots of). I had a Carbfest. I had party snax on the Eve, Mince Pie. pastries, crisps, Pringles, Cheese straws, Xmas Cake - you name it. Next day had traditional turkey dinner, roasted spuds, carrots, parsnips, bread pudding. Followed by Plum Pud and Brandy Butter, The carb outrage contined till New year with choccies cake etc until NYE, but started tapering it off gradually.

Last night I surveyed the damage and totted up the records. The following results are averaged by at least a week, or up to a month for the pre Xmas totals

Xmas Week = 5.8 / 8.7 / 6.3

Post NYE = 5.8 / 5.6 /5.5

I am surprised by these results. Yes, I did see a couple of 10's and a few 9's at the 2hrPP time, but they dropped down after., so I am still diabetic, but my beta cells are still doing what they are meant to. Yes, if I had a Libre, then it would show something nasty going on, but my results log ties in quite well with my HbA1c so I am not too bothered,

All in all I survived a tasty Xmas, and am back on the wagon again till my birthday later on in the year,
Sounds like you did fine there, considering the fare! Now back on the wagon, so the next carbfest will be as excellent. ;)

Reactions: hankjam and Oldvatr

mymuk

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Well that all makes me feel ok about my one day single spike (9.5) soup experiment!

I may be the only person here who lost weight over the so-called Festive Season.

Reactions: Oldvatr

Mrs T 123

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I confess to being a bit naughty over the festive period but not too naughty - I think sometimes a little bit of what you fancy does you good ... but when the treats run out I will not be buying anymore and will be back on the wagon again! *sigh*

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Now you see...I do this every year, but some years I take a long time to find the wagon, never mind actually getting back on it. Maybe tomorrow I will look a little harder....

Reactions: Daphne917

HeliGary

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Load eating , idiots.
Managed to get away for Christmas 2020, wasn't as religious as I was the previous few weeks (diagnosed Nov 2020, but with BG well under control).

Plan to do the same thing for special occasions, like birthdays / Xmas with extended BG monitoring each time to keep an eye on things.

Thanks for posting about this.