What and how many electrolytes do we need per day?

Rabdos

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello

What and how many electrolytes do we need per day?
I cannot find a reliable resource!
Is there any calculator?

Thanks!

Melgar

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Does it not depend of your level of activity and the temperature?

• Agree
Reactions: EllieM

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I've never supplemented electrolytes in my life, and never have my parents, grandparents, and all the generations before them all the way to the big bang.

If you're on a keto diet and you have symptoms, you might benefit from some additional electrolytes. I'm low carb (but not keto levels I think) and I never had any symptoms suggesting I needed electrolytes.

Are you currently having issues that make you think you might benefit from supplementing?

Rabdos

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am basically on a low calorie diet and I wondered if palpitations, hypotension and tachycardia can be because of that. I am discussing with my GP and will be doing some blood tests.

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I do keto and I drink an electrolyte drink every day - the hi5 sugar free tabs - about 4.99 for 20. I have one a day in 500ml of water. Don’t know if I’m need them necessarily but I do feel better when I drink them. I used to get the odd palpitation now & then when I first started keto but not hypotension or tachycardia,

it's definitely worth talking to your GP as this could be anything

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've eaten a low carbohydrate/ketogenic style diet since I was diagnosed T2 over ten years ago, and AFAIK I'm getting enough electrolytes from what I normally eat and much of this food is what I've always eaten for 80+ years.
-with the exception of adding exra potassium when I had bad leg cramps... But if you're having issues, your GP should have hopefully the best advice for you.

Many foods naturally contain electrolyes and Google can point you to info on these - e.g.
. https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/electrolytes lists the following:
  • spinach
  • kale
  • avocados
  • broccoli
  • potatoes
  • beans
  • almonds
  • peanuts
  • soybeans
  • tofu
  • strawberries
  • watermelon
  • oranges
  • bananas
  • tomatoes
  • milk
  • buttermilk
  • yogurt
  • fish, such as flounder
  • turkey
  • chicken
  • veal
  • raisins
  • olives

• Useful
  • Informative
Reactions: Rabdos and AloeSvea

MimT

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I am basically on a low calorie diet and I wondered if palpitations, hypotension and tachycardia can be because of that. I am discussing with my GP and will be doing some blood tests.
From what I've read you'd normally get sufficient electrolytes in your diet. Almost all foods have multiple electrolytes. About the only way to check if you're deficient or over the limit in any of them would be by a blood test - and even then I don't know if it only gives a point value or if it can give you an overall general indication of over or under in the medium term.

During the day you'll lose electrolytes by perspiration and in urine and this usually keeps the balance right. (You'll lose a lot if you have a bout of diarrhoea, too.) I take some with me if I'm traveling - on a just in case basis, particularly to a hot destination where i'll be out and about a lot (sweating more than usual) or one where I'm likely to get traveller's diarrhoea.

The thing is, you want to ingest enough but not too many or you risk toxicity. The article below lists the main electrolytes and how levels are maintained. (It lists the main electrolytes as: potassium, magnesium, calcium, sodium, phosphate, chloride and bicarbonates.) My general sense is that people are usually warned they may be over the limit in sodium and can be short on calcium in their diet.

MissMuffett

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
When I first changed my diet to keto I had a headache and flu like symptoms and had a pre made electrolyte mix which I put in water but hardly have it now. The transition/symptoms can last a few days to a few weeks depending on how bad your diet was before.

• Informative
Reactions: Rabdos