What can I expect from GP re initial diagnosis of Pre diabetes info?

Libbaloo

I am a Newbie to this site and news that I am prediabetic. GP gave me news over phone in a ten minute call. No other info or links to advice re this web resource but just advice to lose weight and review in New Year. Given the fact that it seems this 'grey area' could make all the difference for transitioning into Type two or not, I am surprised there isn't more support from the surgery at this stage. They seem to wait til type 2 diagnosis before referral to the diabetes clinic.

What I am gleaning is there are many people in the grey area and time and resources aren't available other than general lifestyle and diet public health awareness.

With yesterday's media coverage about the National Statistics, I daresay this site will soon have lots more views and members registering.

Thank you for being here.

Reactions: 2 people

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.
I am a Newbie to this site and news that I am prediabetic. GP gave me news over phone in a ten minute call. No other info or links to advice re this web resource but just advice to lose weight and review in New Year. Given the fact that it seems this 'grey area' could make all the difference for transitioning into Type two or not, I am surprised there isn't more support from the surgery at this stage. They seem to wait til type 2 diagnosis before referral to the diabetes clinic.

What I am gleaning is there are many people in the grey area and time and resources aren't available other than general lifestyle and diet public health awareness.

With yesterday's media coverage about the National Statistics, I daresay this site will soon have lots more views and members registering.

Thank you for being here.
I'm also very grateful that this site is here. It's heartening to see new people joining and catching their blood glucose levels before they progress to diabetes. Even when someone arrives with significant diabetes and complications, there are still things the members can do to help the person optimise their health and the care they are entitled to. But it's really nice to also see newbies who can almost certainly prevent things getting worse, with some relatively easy lifestyle changes.

So, welcome, and I'm sure that before too long you will be offering support to others. :)

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.
Don't worry, GP support at diagnosis for T2s isn't much better.

Sadly, the proportion of T2s and prediabetics who find a site like this is very low, and the general dietary advice pushed out is frequently flawed for diabetics ('eat carbs with every meal' - yeah right).

Yes you would think that yesterday's media coverage (along with many others, it's nothing radically new) would spur some new and constructive guidelines, but I'm not holding my breath. So tens of thousands (at least) of T2s will probably be condemned to an unnecessary decline in health and increase in drug dependency at a time when the NHS is in crisis. Now I wonder who benefits the most from that ... (just saying).

Here, we do what we can.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello and welcome.

You have found this site, and that is the best start you could have made. What I do suggest is that you ring your surgery and ask for a print out of your blood test results. You are entitled to these. It will show you exactly where you are on the scale by giving you an HbA1c number. Pre-diabetes is between 42 and 47. Anything above 47 is diabetes. I also suggest you learn ss much as you can about this disease, how your body works with regards to natural insulin, what all the numbers mean, and how to control it. Stay away from any site that recommends eating carbs with every meal.

Good luck, have a good read round, and ask as many questions as you wish.

Libbaloo

I've just spent double the time I would have spent on a weekly food shop!.. reading the labels in more detail than usual and trying to work out if its best to go for 0% fat dairy (crème fraiche, yoghurt etc) or low fat as it seems carb and sugars in former are higher. More green veg and lentils too

Its all a balancing act! Came home to unpack and put away and thought it better to snack on a few seeds and walnuts instead of a fruit feast!

Getting the exercise bike out of shed and dog will have to walk faster. As you say, its an opportunity to look at holistic approach. ps GP said I could have a NHS ' Type 2 ' info pack to look at although I'm still in pre- range.

SO PLEASED TO HAVE FOUND AND JOINED THIS SITE.

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.
Best to avoid low-fat products. When they took fat out in order to comply with the 'fat is bad' mantra they realised that fat contributed most of the texture and taste. So to offset that they added sugar.

Full-fat versions generally have the least carb content. Best yoghurt for diabetics is full fat natural Greek yoghurt. You can add some berries or even some desiccated coconut for sweetness if you like.

Nuts (brazils, walnuts, almonds especially) and cheese are good for snacks, although you may find the fewer carbs and more fat you eat the less you will want/need to snack.

Watch out for lentils and other pulses, they can be quite high carb.

CollieBoy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi carb Foods
I've just spent double the time I would have spent on a weekly food shop!.. .
Don't worry, as you get used to the content of foods, you'll learn what is "good" and what is "verboten" and you will speed up again! Although you may find yourself scurrying of to "Mrs Y" who stocks "X" so tasty and so low carb but miles away from your usual shops!!

Libbaloo

I booked a double appointment to see my GP today. This was to discuss my prediabetes and to understand better. I have been following a LCHF diet for three days and wanted to see what sort if advice she would give me in order to keep levels from rising to type two diagnosis. I didn't tell her I had changed my diet it that I had bought a glucose meter as I thought she would think me over the top. Her advice was just as others have posted... A lot of reference to the eat well plate. Ie everything in moderation, avoid saturated fats and eat amount if carbs equivalent to my fist size. Nothing about the fact that carbs are converted to sugars so they count too.

There was a lot of advice about exercising more to reduce my BMI of 31 and to maintain a lifestyle which is sustainable as I show tendencies towards insulin resistance.. Impaired fasting glucose..

She was impressed with the stone had lost before changing my diet.., this was due to cutting out cheese and my total cholesterol had dropped and I was eating more porridge .. But I didn't tell her I had joined this forum. She said to avoid fad diets which aren't sustainable and the yo yo effect but to change my diet to a more healthy one ... Lots of colour on the plate...starchy carbs with meals etc and she said that everyone is different so a LCHF diet would be something she might only recommend with dietician support and if I need to lose weight to prepare for surgery which I don't need.

I cam out rather diappointed that doctors don't explain much as this stage... Just wait until type 2 diabetes when they enter you in the system for more checkups and possible medication.

I am due for a retest in January. I wonder what my levels will be them for fasting glucose, cholesterol and weight.

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.
I booked a double appointment to see my GP today. This was to discuss my prediabetes and to understand better. I have been following a LCHF diet for three days and wanted to see what sort if advice she would give me in order to keep levels from rising to type two diagnosis. I didn't tell her I had changed my diet it that I had bought a glucose meter as I thought she would think me over the top. Her advice was just as others have posted... A lot of reference to the eat well plate. Ie everything in moderation, avoid saturated fats and eat amount if carbs equivalent to my fist size. Nothing about the fact that carbs are converted to sugars so they count too.

There was a lot of advice about exercising more to reduce my BMI of 31 and to maintain a lifestyle which is sustainable as I show tendencies towards insulin resistance.. Impaired fasting glucose..

She was impressed with the stone had lost before changing my diet.., this was due to cutting out cheese and my total cholesterol had dropped and I was eating more porridge .. But I didn't tell her I had joined this forum. She said to avoid fad diets which aren't sustainable and the yo yo effect but to change my diet to a more healthy one ... Lots of colour on the plate...starchy carbs with meals etc and she said that everyone is different so a LCHF diet would be something she might only recommend with dietician support and if I need to lose weight to prepare for surgery which I don't need.

I cam out rather diappointed that doctors don't explain much as this stage... Just wait until type 2 diabetes when they enter you in the system for more checkups and possible medication.

I am due for a retest in January. I wonder what my levels will be them for fasting glucose, cholesterol and weight.
Yes it's disappointing, but I'm so glad you found this forum and could go in prepared with low carb knowledge so that you wouldn't be led in the opposite direction by this high carb standard NHS advice. Most GPs just don't know how wrong the advice is because they have never been told in ways they would engage with, and they don't have time to study many individual diseases in depth once they are working.

I'm mentally rubbing my hands together with glee thinking of what it will be like showing her improved blood test levels in January. She might still be skeptical about maintaining the benefits but the results will speak for themselves and her mind will have to start ticking over about it. Maybe after seeing half a dozen patients keep their BGs down for a couple of years she will have to start looking into it. They are trained to see individual results as exceptions, but the more cases they see, they can't keep ignoring them.

Libbaloo

Thank you CatLadyNZ. I must admit I was concerned that I appeared to be glazing over in the consultation as the GP started explaining to me the standard healthy diet. - a version of which I had already been watching on the surgery info screen whilst in the waiting room. Its not as if I'm unaware. I have brought up two children and am an educated type, but have put on a bit of weight round my middle in my 40's. I didn't dare tell her I'd bought a meter and had started to check my fasting and post meal levels! She added that these online forums are self selecting so members are bound to agree with each other and push or maintain that certain diets are effective.
I don't want to get obsessive about checking blood glucose levels. It could be all absorbing. But I think that once I've recognised a pattern, I won't be doing it as often or only at certain times.

Iam still rather partial to fruit and need an occasional blackcurrant fix (with crème fraiche) but slowly getting accustomed to what I can manage without spiking.

Hopefully I can avoid liposuction (as mentioned on a different thread) and try to keep type two at bay. On that score, when I asked the GP if it was inevitable, she said it was worth doing more diet and exercise lifestyle changes to delay a diagnosis, but not to worry as once a diagnosis is made,. I would be in the system for more checking and support and that diet control or medication would be the way forward.

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Thank you CatLadyNZ. I must admit I was concerned that I appeared to be glazing over in the consultation as the GP started explaining to me the standard healthy diet. - a version of which I had already been watching on the surgery info screen whilst in the waiting room. Its not as if I'm unaware. I have brought up two children and am an educated type, but have put on a bit of weight round my middle in my 40's. I didn't dare tell her I'd bought a meter and had started to check my fasting and post meal levels! She added that these online forums are self selecting so members are bound to agree with each other and push or maintain that certain diets are effective.
I don't want to get obsessive about checking blood glucose levels. It could be all absorbing. But I think that once I've recognised a pattern, I won't be doing it as often or only at certain times.

Iam still rather partial to fruit and need an occasional blackcurrant fix (with crème fraiche) but slowly getting accustomed to what I can manage without spiking.

Hopefully I can avoid liposuction (as mentioned on a different thread) and try to keep type two at bay. On that score, when I asked the GP if it was inevitable, she said it was worth doing more diet and exercise lifestyle changes to delay a diagnosis, but not to worry as once a diagnosis is made,. I would be in the system for more checking and support and that diet control or medication would be the way forward.
Apparently it's normal for everyone to lose a small amount of muscle mass and gain about 400g of weight each year after the age of 40. The nurse is right in that forums are self selecting, but that doesn't make what we say here inaccurate. I wonder if she thinks the only info about low carbing and self monitoring are anecdotes on forums... when there is a growing body of research evidence supporting these practices. It just hasn't reached a critical mass yet where it would filter out to the GPs and nurses.

I agree with you about obsessive checking of BGs... I only do it when I'm going through a learning phase of getting back on track - a few weeks. Outside those times then I think 1-2 days a month of testing would be enough. Plus on sick days.

I would ignore that liposuction comment... I felt it was totally out of place and tried to tell the person but he wasn't listening, lol. All I would do is low carbing and exercise, and wear something to suck everything in for special occasions ;)

In terms of inevitability of diabetes... I think you can delay it forever... I had my head in the sand so made no changes and got T2. I wish I could go back with what I know now and see if I could prevent T2. Your nurse saw it as an advantage to T2 diagnosis that you would be in the system for more checking and support... well, you are intelligent and motivated enough to give yourself all of that without a T2 diagnosis. Home BG testing and, say, 6 monthly HbA1c is probably all you need to do by way of checking. And an annual blood pressure test - I think everyone should have that. My GPs have always just taken my BP whenever I am there for something else.