What exercise gives the BEST BG results yet is gentle?

mekalu2k4

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi Buckley, at the out I sincerely thank for your detailed response. Indeed I got answers for what I was explicitly looking for. And then your detailed response has more info which is useful for my type of body. After reading your response, I ended up spending a lot of time on internet, researching different aspects. Let me not bore you with my limited knowledge, but would like to cut the story short by specific points:

1. Thanks for using the term DOMS - Yes, I have it now. On alternates I am spending 2 hours on running up to 9miles, this is causing a lot of DOMS. I realized only now.

2. I am on this forum for about 8 weeks or so. It is a lot of stuff here, I am trying to understand, experiment and experience different things. When I came across Newcastle diet, I quickly experimented with it, but did not cut my exercise. This I believe caused spikes in my BS. Strangely, at the same time, our annual routine blood checks came and my fasting BS readings are at 109. So the whole stuff is kinda confusing to me.

On the flip side, you have to fuel yourself correctly for heavy sessions, I did start with carb loading,
- Yes, this is very true at least for me. I am now eating my carbs and then next day doing my running (not 2 hrs like in the past, just 50 minutes only)

I do get highs after exercise, however this tends to be after running
- yes - exactly same thing with me. I can confirm this, as I am doing only running these days. Will add resistance training alternately.

Thanks again, much appreciated!

Reactions: 2 people

mogzilian

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Walking/Jogging/Or Tabata.

Combined with a 5X5 strength training programme.

Big, heavy cave man exercises, squats, deadlifts, bench. 5 reps as heavy as possible five times.

These drop my total insulin requirements and increase sensitivity like no other..

I googled Tabata - that looks interesting and is condensed time-wise...

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm a bit big for swimming - I get self-conscious in a swimsuit... maybe in the future! X
Please take this the way it is meant.
I swim most sundays and there is a lady who is usually there, who I am nodding terms with who is probably one of the largest people I've nodded to and she seems really relaxed about the whole thing.
Give it a try and see how it goes coz water is a great supporting medium and you really can control the effort you put in.

mogzilian

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Please take this the way it is meant.
I swim most sundays and there is a lady who is usually there, who I am nodding terms with who is probably one of the largest people I've nodded to and she seems really relaxed about the whole thing.
Give it a try and see how it goes coz water is a great supporting medium and you really can control the effort you put in.

Thank you. I shall.... :)

Reactions: 4 people

lizdeluz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
  • Swimming spikes me until I get to Nero's afterwards for a coffee and cream. Then, a significant drop over next few hours.
  • Hatha yoga, preferably done In a class with a good teacher like mine, always reduces my bs levels, with no preliminary spike. It's mainly gentle, but in any case you listen to your own body and do deeper stretches as you learn over time. All shapes and sizes, some snoring if we lose the plot during relaxation at the end.:)

Last edited by a moderator:

Bluemic

I appreciate the fact that exercise is good for you but how far should you go just to loss a few pounds. my daily exercise routine is based on cycling and walking. But I only do the bare minimum of about 2 miles 3 times a week. I’m only interested in keeping fit not losing weight even though I would be happier if I could loss a few pounds.
Would you say doing the bare minimum would help the BG to stay at a constant level.

Many thanks

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I appreciate the fact that exercise is good for you but how far should you go just to loss a few pounds. my daily exercise routine is based on cycling and walking. But I only do the bare minimum of about 2 miles 3 times a week. I’m only interested in keeping fit not losing weight even though I would be happier if I could loss a few pounds.
Would you say doing the bare minimum would help the BG to stay at a constant level.

Many thanks
Thus thread I'd 7 years old so you may not get responses from the original posters

DM123@

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Walking/Jogging/Or Tabata.

Combined with a 5X5 strength training programme.

Big, heavy cave man exercises, squats, deadlifts, bench. 5 reps as heavy as possible five times.

These drop my total insulin requirements and increase sensitivity like no other..
Hi Buckley, an old thread, I wonder do you still do the 5 X 5 with jogging?

Do you notice BG raising if you sit in work for most of the day ?

Lainie71

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The term "big boned" lol repeatedly told this growing up!

kyler

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Nothing really
Well I've tried a few over the 10years of been T2 and I don't think it makes a lot of difference what's important is doing some form of exercise.
The last thing you want to be is a couch potatoe.
So pick something you like and stick with it as long as possible then switch to another form IE: walking, jogging cycling,rowing I find I loose enthusiasm after 12 to 18 months president doing rowing very low impact exercise put some music on and row.
Best of luck there's no easy fix

Reactions: DM123@