"What have you eaten" Parallel Chat

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Haven't eaten any meals today so far. Just feeling too sore and ill to do any thing but sit in my chair (feeling sorry for myself). I did warn Neil that I would need the wheelchair to ferry me out to the car but when it came to it, I realised that I could manage just with olne stick (a bit shaky but at least I didn't have to use my really painful left arm). The builders arrived just before we were due to go out to fit the solar panels and connect up the electrical bits and pieces. All their boxes of equipment would have been in the way of the wheelchair, so using it wasn't practical. We left them to it and by the time we came back, they were almost finished.

For once, this time, I actually went round the supermarket (Co-Op which has been refurbished since I was there last) using one of those trolleys that connect to wheelchairs. Shan't be doing that again in a hurry because the wheels on the trolley kept jamming aganst the wheels of the chair. Made hard work of it for both of us. Interesting to see the new shop though.

Haven't done anything since getting back other than taking my pills and drinnking some water. I did, then, fall ff the wagon. My stomach was feeling very upset and I was feeling pretty ill and I decided that what I needed was some carbohydrate. The only things available were some ginger nut biscuits and some KitKat biscuits. Ginger, I thought, would fill the bill nicely.. Put my BG up something shocking! I do feel a bit better though. I will make some scrambled eggs sometime soon to capitalise on that.

The workmen have gone and our solar panels are actually feeding back into the grid! We didn't realise they would do that but the electric meter is going backwards at the moment.

PS bought some Full cream UHT milk in the Co-op to make yoghurt. I do have some already, but it is stored in a box somewhere and I can't reach it until Neil restores the larder. I have a vacuum pot for making it but I may need to heat the milk a bit to get the action going.

Last edited:

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Haven't eaten any meals today so far. Just feeling too sore and ill to do any thing but sit in my chair (feeling sorry for myself). I did warn Neil that I would need the wheelchair to ferry me out to the car but when it came to it, I realised that I could manage just with olne stick (a bit shaky but at least I didn't have to use my really painful left arm). The builders arrived just before we were due to go out to fit the solar panels and connect up the electrical bits and pieces. All their boxes of equipment would have been in the way of the wheelchair, so using it wasn't practical. We left them to it and by the time we came back, they were almost finished.

For once, this time, I actually went round the supermarket (Co-Op which has been refurbished since I was there last) using one of those trolleys that connect to wheelchairs. Shan't be doing that again in a hurry because the wheels on the trolley kept jamming aganst the wheels of the chair. Made hard work of it for both of us. Interesting to see the new shop though.

Haven't done anything since getting back other than taking my pills and drinnking some water. I did, then, fall ff the wagon. My stomach was feeling very upset and I was feeling pretty ill and I decided that what I needed was some carbohydrate. The only things available were some ginger nut biscuits and some KitKat biscuits. Ginger, I thought, would fill the bill nicely.. Put my BG up something shocking! I do feel a bit better though. I will make some scrambled eggs sometime soon to capitalise on that.

The workmen have gone and our solar panels are actually feeding back into the grid! We didn't realise they would do that but the electric meter is going backwards at the moment.

PS bought some Full cream UHT milk in the Co-op to make yoghurt. I do have some already, but it is stored in a box somewhere and I can't reach it until Neil restores the larder. I have a vacuum pot for making it but I may need to heat the milk a bit to get the action going.
Winner for solar panels getting sorted and getting out and about albeit with discomfort. Wanted to also send a big hug for you feeling sore and ill. Hope yoghurt works well be cautious how much you heat the milk as if too hot it will kill the bacteria in the yoghurt that you are using as a starter good luck.

jpscloud

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi all, cold but dry day with odd bits of sunshine, so I spent the day attempting to assemble the small polytunnel - I didn't get to it the other day as I had to use the opportunity (aka a dry day and my available energy) to get the long grass cut.

I only got half the polytunnel done, it's a bit fiddly but I think it will be done tomorrow. I also need to do another cut on the grass as it was just done on the top setting the other day.

I'm pretty exhausted, I hope I stopped before I set my back off, but will find out tomorrow!

8.30am
Glass kefir
3 boiled eggs
3 slices bacon

11am
pork puffs

Future me will eat at 5.30:
beef and lamb mince in marrowbone broth
greek yogurt and cream
coffee and 100g cheese

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
It rains a lot in Norway, even if its warm. Take waterproof coats and umbrellas. It's the only cruise where we've ever used the line in the shower for outdoor clothes!
Did Norwaycruise last year in July and we were quite lucky with weather. This year going to Northern Germany, Netherlands and Belgium.

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Lovely to see the sun today. Quite productive 're my jobs to do list getting ready for hols at weekend but list still longish! I find sun really lifts my mood so that helped.
Lots of photos and news too from youngest son and daughter in law on holiday in New York. We went 20 years ago so their photos are bringing back lovely memories as we took mum too who was in her 70s at the time but very very lively. Memorable times.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I had the day off work due to swimming in the morning (non negotiable), and an appointment with the physio in the afternoon which was already planned before I agreed on this job, which left me with no time slots making it worth driving back and forth to work.
I made good use of the extra time by dealing with the mail, contacting my electricity provider and some more chores of this kind that had been ignored for a few weeks.

I also did some much needed googling on contraception and called two friends to ask about their thoughts on the best way to go. I found the courage to call my GP's surgery to discuss this, not something I'm very comfortable with, only to get a telling off because you need to call between 8 and 10 am if you want to make an appointment. I'll work up the courage again tomorrow morning, I promise! (Posting to hold myself accountable, I can do it.)

To my thinking, the pill has multiple downsides, higher risk because of age, weight, smoking and possibly diabetes, and not getting periods on it would mean I won't be aware when I can stop, which won't be too long at 47, hopefully. And who knows how it will mess with my diabetes?
A copper IUD seems to make more sense to my thinking. Except for the part where someone is looking at your privates in full light. I've never felt comfortable with having a female body, and I've so far avoided anything of the kind, it plainly scares the **** out of me.
Also the part where I don't know how things between my neighbour and I will proceed and what his thoughts on our goings on are. No use going through all this if it won't be used.

So I gathered my courage again to discuss with him.
Easiest conversation ever, let's hope the conversation with the GP will be as anticlimactic as the one with my neighbour! :joyful:
I mumbled something about GP's and contraception, he replied with: "Oh, what a good idea, you're going to have a UID? That will make things easier!" (He has been very careful so far, and wiser than I have.)

So it looks like he's as happy with our 'arrangement' as I am, and happy to keep this up, which I'm very happy about.

But dang, I never thought I'd have to worry about those things again!
I'm pretty chuffed with all the paperwork chores I did today without it affecting my mood, and I'm not feeling guilty about not cleaning out the car (which I had planned), it started raining anyway. :joyful:

I think I have my mind made up on contraception but I'm welcoming thoughts and experiences.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I had the day off work due to swimming in the morning (non negotiable), and an appointment with the physio in the afternoon which was already planned before I agreed on this job, which left me with no time slots making it worth driving back and forth to work.
I made good use of the extra time by dealing with the mail, contacting my electricity provider and some more chores of this kind that had been ignored for a few weeks.

I also did some much needed googling on contraception and called two friends to ask about their thoughts on the best way to go. I found the courage to call my GP's surgery to discuss this, not something I'm very comfortable with, only to get a telling off because you need to call between 8 and 10 am if you want to make an appointment. I'll work up the courage again tomorrow morning, I promise! (Posting to hold myself accountable, I can do it.)

To my thinking, the pill has multiple downsides, higher risk because of age, weight, smoking and possibly diabetes, and not getting periods on it would mean I won't be aware when I can stop, which won't be too long at 47, hopefully. And who knows how it will mess with my diabetes?
A copper IUD seems to make more sense to my thinking. Except for the part where someone is looking at your privates in full light. I've never felt comfortable with having a female body, and I've so far avoided anything of the kind, it plainly scares the **** out of me.
Also the part where I don't know how things between my neighbour and I will proceed and what his thoughts on our goings on are. No use going through all this if it won't be used.

Easiest conversation ever, let's hope the conversation with the GP will be as anticlimactic as the one with my neighbour! :joyful:
I mumbled something about GP's and contraception, he replied with: "Oh, what a good idea, you're going to have a UID? That will make things easier!" (He has been very careful so far, and wiser than I have.)

So it looks like he's as happy with our 'arrangement' as I am, and happy to keep this up, which I'm very happy about.

I'm pretty chuffed with all the paperwork chores I did today without it affecting my mood, and I'm not feeling guilty about not cleaning out the car (which I had planned), it started raining anyway. :joyful:

I think I have my mind made up on contraception but I'm welcoming thoughts and experiences.
Sensible as usual Antje. Can't offer advice on this - my relationship with Tom was very different and, once we had the 2 children we hoped for, he had a vasectomy. That's obviously not a route your friend (with benefits) would want to take. A barrier of some sort is the obvious answer.

Friend with benefits reminds me: about 18 months ago Em was recounting to us the children in her class, one of whom was Angus. He was, she said, her "friend with benefits". Surprised, both her mum and myself asked, what benefits?" (She was only 10 at the time.) "He has a lovely rubber (eraser) which he lets me use." :joyful:

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

Good luck with your discussion with GP and hope you get it sorted soon. Good idea to make a decision about how to manage rather than muddle along. I've no recent experience to contribute to the discussion on contraception though as I'm further along the age line! Wanted to say well done too on keeping going with your swimming.

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi have just caught up with the food postings over there. @Annb sorry you have been struggling those exercises sound dubious. I think doing prescribed exercises leave you open to feeling worse sometimes. I had to read about your smoked salmon snacks with my fingers in front of my face! @Antje77 I can only suggest you discuss options with your doctor to help you decide as I don’t know what sort of “inserts” are available these days as I had hysterectomy in 2006. We are off to Bath, one of my favourite cities anywhere, tomorrow aft for long weekend. We know it well as youngest studied there for 5 years. Having a cheeky Nandos first night then picking up brother & SIL from Bristol Airport early Friday. Staying in a rental house and have booked the hop on hop off bus tour for Fri & Sat as Friday they will be tired and the weather Sat is mixed. Have booked Raphaels for Sat night as recommended by @maglil55 after her last visit. Speaking of whom I am in awe of everything you do for and with your grandsons but teaching Maths is something else. I am so glad you got the reward of him understanding it and am so glad the Head congratulated you. You enrich the life of the boys so much. If I could do a fraction of what you do for my little grandson I would be happy. @shelley262 I hope you and OH enjoy your cruise and get some R&R. I think we will both have to pack coats, cardis, etc as weather still unpredictable. Will post again when I can but hoping big breakfasts and sensible dinners will keep me on the straight and narrow.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi have just caught up with the food postings over there. @Annb sorry you have been struggling those exercises sound dubious. I think doing prescribed exercises leave you open to feeling worse sometimes. I had to read about your smoked salmon snacks with my fingers in front of my face! @Antje77 I can only suggest you discuss options with your doctor to help you decide as I don’t know what sort of “inserts” are available these days as I had hysterectomy in 2006. We are off to Bath, one of my favourite cities anywhere, tomorrow aft for long weekend. We know it well as youngest studied there for 5 years. Having a cheeky Nandos first night then picking up brother & SIL from Bristol Airport early Friday. Staying in a rental house and have booked the hop on hop off bus tour for Fri & Sat as Friday they will be tired and the weather Sat is mixed. Have booked Raphaels for Sat night as recommended by @maglil55 after her last visit. Speaking of whom I am in awe of everything you do for and with your grandsons but teaching Maths is something else. I am so glad you got the reward of him understanding it and am so glad the Head congratulated you. You enrich the life of the boys so much. If I could do a fraction of what you do for my little grandson I would be happy. @shelley262 I hope you and OH enjoy your cruise and get some R&R. I think we will both have to pack coats, cardis, etc as weather still unpredictable. Will post again when I can but hoping big breakfasts and sensible dinners will keep me on the straight and narrow.
Don't forget Antica on the Pulteney Bridge. That's the Italian where I got that fabulous mixed seafood main of their specials menu. I think I still have a photo of it.
(Found it). Raphael's is amazing. We were there twice in 4 days.

PS maths was part of my working life for 37 years (along with a lot of other subjects). Grandson thinks I'm a bit weird the way I teach things, but he admits it works because he remembers it. (I attach formula to odd memorable items).
20221022_182218.jpg

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you for your holiday best wishes. Love Bath I'm sure you'll have a wonderful break there enjoy.

jpscloud

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
So a very intense battle with the polytunnel frame today! I had scrambled eggs and pork crackling for breakfast, then just slogged on getting the frame together, which took much longer than I wanted it to. I kept making mistakes and having to undo and redo bits. It's done though! Just need to set up the flooring, put the cover on and get the sandbags filled to anchor it - the ground pegs they give you are a real joke!

As I'd worked way later than intended I was barely able to get a shower before collapsing into a chair and that is my weak spot - exhaustion seems to be the carb binge trigger. I toyed with the idea of a takeaway, but swerved it and instead I had some carby things from the freezer that I had been shoving to the back for a while, and some bagels. And some non-100% chocolate!

Not to worry, I'm taking that kind of slip in my stride now. I really think I'm getting a bit more moderate too. Some things that I expect to taste fantastic don't, such as ordinary chocolate - much too sugary. Bread is still gorgeous though, sadly.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Made the phonecall and have an appointment for friday with an unknown to me GP, let's hope they are nice.
I'm with you on the neck. There's a herniated disc or two there that have been doing well for a couple of months until I did some jobs looking up last week and the week before, and now my neck is angry with me again.
Physio tomorrow, bracing for a telling off...
Physio told me he didn't think it was the herniated disk but simply something due to working to long looking up, which is good, and it should resolve by itself. :)
He also told me to try to avoid doing stuff which needs looking up and working above my head.
No problem I said, I'm currently on a painting job, doing the outside of a ship, no need for looking up.

Until I looked at the weatherforecast this morning, no painting today. So I called my skipper to ask if he had any inside or non painting work, he didn't so I got the day off. And I called the skipper from the ship I worked on on saturday to ask if he could use a hand, and spent seven hours looking up into the masts to hoist and untangle ropes above my head. :facepalm:

I love this type of work, so much better than boring painting so I had an amazing day, managed to get a suntan between the icy cold windy showers, so I'll do it again tomorrow, the weather will still not be right for painting on the other ship. :joyful:
Do you have to climb the rigging, @Antje77?
You must have psychic powers @Pipp .
The ship in the picture is one of the very, very few non square rigged ships where one (not me, thankfully) actually climbs the rigging, and when you asked I had no idea I would be working on this ship again.

That's Niels, my skipper and neighbour from down the road high up in the mast today, and yes, he climbed up by those scary looking steps.
We rigged all the ropes and pulleys to hoist the sails with today, him up there, me on deck to make sure every line went in the right place, untangling, hoisting pulleys and lines and various tools. :)

1713991584108.png

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
So a very intense battle with the polytunnel frame today! I had scrambled eggs and pork crackling for breakfast, then just slogged on getting the frame together, which took much longer than I wanted it to. I kept making mistakes and having to undo and redo bits. It's done though! Just need to set up the flooring, put the cover on and get the sandbags filled to anchor it - the ground pegs they give you are a real joke!

As I'd worked way later than intended I was barely able to get a shower before collapsing into a chair and that is my weak spot - exhaustion seems to be the carb binge trigger. I toyed with the idea of a takeaway, but swerved it and instead I had some carby things from the freezer that I had been shoving to the back for a while, and some bagels. And some non-100% chocolate!

Not to worry, I'm taking that kind of slip in my stride now. I really think I'm getting a bit more moderate too. Some things that I expect to taste fantastic don't, such as ordinary chocolate - much too sugary. Bread is still gorgeous though, sadly.
Pleased you got your poly tunnel frame sorted sounds like a real challenge and stressful too.
I tend to try and plan what I'm eating on busy stressful days to make it as easy as possible to not grab the less nutritious stuff when tired and hungry. It's good though that you managed not to go down the takeaway route and that you were able to moderate plus not enjoying some of the things that you had in the past will help you be less tempted. You will get there you just need to keep navigating the bumps in the road and keep climbing back on the wagon. Take care.

jpscloud

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Pleased you got your poly tunnel frame sorted sounds like a real challenge and stressful too.
I tend to try and plan what I'm eating on busy stressful days to make it as easy as possible to not grab the less nutritious stuff when tired and hungry. It's good though that you managed not to go down the takeaway route and that you were able to moderate plus not enjoying some of the things that you had in the past will help you be less tempted. You will get there you just need to keep navigating the bumps in the road and keep climbing back on the wagon. Take care.
I had dinner planned and actually ready in the fridge... not much can stop me once a carb binge is really on the cards :arghh:

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Leg bandaging this morning and a blood test at the same time so quick weigh in (disappointing) and shower and then trying to gee up a bit to get ready to go out. A little piece of left-over chicken and a cup of tea for breakfast. Still feeling rather weird but don't know why. Blood pressure was 138/60 (not bad) and BG was 6.4. Should have been feeling fine, but there is something odd going on.

Nurse managed to get blood fairly easily for once and when I asked about it, she said she could give me the HBa1c result from last time, and then noted down all of them for the 18 months up to November 2023. That was the last one taken. Also a bit disappointing hovering between 58 and 60. Maybe next week, I'll get the result of this one.

2 more meals today - boiled eggs shortly and salmon with swede chips later. Now that I've had this blood test, I can have some vegetables.

I'm going to try to get myself referred back to the GP diabetes clinic because I haven't been able to see anyone at the hospital clinic since before the Covid lockdown in 2020 and that's why I didn't know my HBa1c. I don't suppose they'll mind getting rid of another patient - they clearly don't want to have anyone unnecessarily on their books.

Last edited:

jpscloud

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Finally got the polytunnel up and covered, it's several degrees warmer in there than outside! Very pleased with the result but hoping we don't get too many storms, I don't really want to have to put another one up next year!

9.30am glass kefir

12pm
3 chicken drumsticks and a thigh
Pork crackling

5pm
Second glass of kefir

Tea will be
minced beef and lamb in marrowbone broth

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Finally got the polytunnel up and covered, it's several degrees warmer in there than outside! Very pleased with the result but hoping we don't get too many storms, I don't really want to have to put another one up next year!

9.30am glass kefir

12pm
3 chicken drumsticks and a thigh
Pork crackling

5pm
Second glass of kefir

Tea will be
minced beef and lamb in marrowbone broth
Well done today not only for sorting your poly tunnel but also getting back firmly on the wagon.
Sounds like your kefir is doing well - mine is still ahead of our consumption I've frozen some grains in milk but planning to put the current grains on a week long rest in fridge while away. If they don't cope with a week's rest I can defrost the frozen ones. It's definitely a balance making Kefir but we love it and I'm sure it's improved our health.

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Leg bandaging this morning and a blood test at the same time so quick weigh in (disappointing) and shower and then trying to gee up a bit to get ready to go out. A little piece of left-over chicken and a cup of tea for breakfast. Still feeling rather weird but don't know why. Blood pressure was 138/60 (not bad) and BG was 6.4. Should have been feeling fine, but there is something odd going on.

Nurse managed to get blood fairly easily for once and when I asked about it, she said she could give me the HBa1c result from last time, and then noted down all of them for the 18 months up to November 2022. That was the last one taken. Also a bit disappointing hovering between 58 and 60. Maybe next week, I'll get the result of this one.

2 more meals today - boiled eggs shortly and salmon with swede chips later. Now that I've had this blood test, I can have some vegetables.

I'm going to try to get myself referred back to the GP diabetes clinic because I haven't been able to see anyone at the hospital clinic since before the Covid lockdown in 2020 and that's why I didn't know my HBa1c. I don't suppose they'll mind getting rid of another patient - they clearly don't want to have anyone unnecessarily on their books.
Sorry to hear that previous hba1c higher than hoped and that you are not feeling quite right hope they find something that can be improved when they get your blood test results. Good luck with results.