What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
The chia absorbs some of the liquid and gets soft. No crunchiness. More like a cross between sloppy blancmange and soft tapioca.

Reactions: 2 people

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Today, working 3-10 but I'm doing the cooking so having a proper Sunday dinner at work:

Brunch (home): 2 good chioolatas, 4 rashers bacon, 2 fried eggs and about half a tin of Napolina plum tomatoes.
Dinner (work): Roast chicken and a load of above ground veg: Brussels sprouts, cauliflower, broccoli, runner beans, a naughty tablespoon of carrots and gravy.
Supper (home): Half a lidl high protein roll with 50g taramasalata

Reactions: 4 people

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
OK 474ml? Let's say 500mls so a 1g carbs per one drink so 3g carbs extra a day. Not bad. I may cut down in them, I use them as sweet substitute as they r rather tasty
There is usually a lot of sugar in any sort of squash, even the 'no added sugar' types. I avoid them now.

Susikav

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes and ulcerative colitis.... :) Rude people... Violence.... and the amount of time I spend away from my beautiful family in the UK...
First day today! I think I did good! Any comments much appreciated!

Breakfast - cream cheese pancakes - 2g carbs, 38g fat, 17g protein, 420 cal

Snack - Cheese Strings - 0g carbs , 17g fat, 21g protein, 244 cal

Lunch - mozzarella, tomato and spinach salad - 6.2g carba, 24g fat, 26,5g protein , 349 cal

Snack - 15 almonds - 1.6g carbs, 8.4g fat, 3.6g protein 101 cal

Dinner - chicken breast, spinach, tomato, feta cheese, cucumber, green pesto, radish - 14.2g carbs , 29g fat, 70g protein 683 cal

Total - 23g Carbs, 116g Fat, 139g Protein 1798 cals. according to My fitness Pal....

too much protein perhaps ?
It sounds good to me! Very nicely balanced.... you are probably feeling good and your BG is happy... :) Have you found a recipe for fat-bombs yet? You can have a couple to keep you going and also a handful of olives is good... I found some savoury fat-bombs too... they are so good when you're peckish, and they keep you feeling happy for hours.... well done, and good luck... Susi

pam_x_pam

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
There is usually a lot of sugar in any sort of squash, even the 'no added sugar' types. I avoid them now.
Lebale wise there isn't much sugar in that one. But that's what label says. I don't drink much anyway

pam_x_pam

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It sounds good to me! Very nicely balanced.... you are probably feeling good and your BG is happy... :) Have you found a recipe for fat-bombs yet? You can have a couple to keep you going and also a handful of olives is good... I found some savoury fat-bombs too... they are so good when you're peckish, and they keep you feeling happy for hours.... well done, and good luck... Susi
My BG is actually not that good... went up on me yesterday morning to 7 and 8 this morning... highest ever :(

Celeriac

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
B - Two organic eggs and half a punnet of organic chestnut mushrooms, fried in a mix of organic ghee and organic Extra Virgin coconut oil, plus grilled organic unsmoked back bacon.

I have to say that I prefer white mushrooms for breakfast, and that I don't like eggs or mushrooms cooked in something strongly flavoured at breakfast.

Not had bacon for breakfast in months, was finding it too salty. This wasn't, but the fat was all flabby not crunchy.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Susikav

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes and ulcerative colitis.... :) Rude people... Violence.... and the amount of time I spend away from my beautiful family in the UK...
I appreciate that English is not your first language, but you seem to understand it just fine. You are posting on a low carbohydrate thread, for people that follow low carb eating - simple. Also, if you are going to make statements about "stupid diets", and fat not being healthy, you should provide evidence of this.
I note that you have been type 2 since 2011 and have gone onto insulin this year. Many people do find that this is a step they need to take, maybe even prefer to take, but I would say that the majority of us are trying to avoid having to take that step. For many of us, the "stupid diet" as you like to call it, controls our blood glucose levels so we are able to take minimal medication and many don't have to take medication at all. I would say that makes it anything but stupid. Can I also politely suggest that if you disagree with this, that you are posting in the wrong place and should look at one of the other sections related to food?
Thank you for that ladybird64, I didn't know how to answer without sounding rude, so gave up!! :) Well put....

Susikav

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Breakfast: Hot chia pudding - strange how something so nice when it's cold is horrible when it's hot. :(
Lunch (work): 4 bacon grilled and 2 fried eggs
Dinner: Chicken thighs and drumsticks, lettuce, red onion, last of the beefsteak tomatoes and sour cream as a dip
Treat: G&T
You are absolutely right Chook dear... horrible when hot!! Delish when cold... with cream... :D

Susikav

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Managed to eat fish twice today by accident, smoked mackerel with cream cheese and creme fraiche for lunch, also some mash potato. Dinner was a salmon fillet and pasta. Porridge for breakfast. But I've only just decided tonight to try low carb. So I'm researching. I guess I would need to replace the pasta and the potato with something else. Not sure about the porridge. Will look it up.
Hi mazz.... Welcome to the world of low-carbing.... Porridge spikes most of us, sadly... all grains do, and they have to go first... And starchy veg - only eat above-ground and tree nuts.... You can make mash, rice and pizza base with cauliflower - there are some amazing recipes out there - even sticky-toffee-pud with caramel sauce... ... I make a pizza from diagonal slices of a large courgette with all he toppings added so it all hangs together... it's really gorgeous..... alldayidreamaboutfood.com and ibreatheimhungry.com and djfoodie.com to name but a few.... The list goes on - low-carbing is good so there are a lot of people out there trying to feed us luckily!! You will learn to love your regime - as most of us do... We don't go without much... :) I make noodles/pasta from courgettes... just use your potato peeler to make them, then I fry quickly in butter and garlic/onion powder... lush... :) Good luck, and enjoy... Even my cats low-carb!

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
You are absolutely right Chook dear... horrible when hot!! Delish when cold... with cream... :D

Not tried it yet with cream as I'm not keen on the texture and taste of cream (although it's lovely in coffee). I will give it a try though, next time I make mocha chia pus.

Susikav

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Even more intrigued!
I prefer to mill my seeds first and for every tbsp of chia seed I use one of pure cacao - then lightly sweeten.... it is the best chocolate pud if you can't have the normal stuff... :) It will make sure you're regular for sure... :)

Susikav

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Not tried it yet with cream as I'm not keen on the texture and taste of cream (although it's lovely in coffee). I will give it a try though, next time I make mocha chia pus.
OMG - do you put coffee in it too? Oh boy... even if you don't, thank you so much for the idea... an espresso will go in tonight's - for tomorrow... bliss.... :)

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I made pizza using lidle protein roll and I've also made one using aubergine. Both were nice.

Susikav

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I made pizza using lidle protein roll and I've also made one using aubergine. Both were nice.
I live and travel in the Middle East most of the time, so hard to get Lidl stuff.. I've seen the protein rolls on the forum many times, but have no idea what they're made of... are they nice? I make my own bread, which I've perfected, at last, after almost a year of trying... I also make muffin bread - 1.5 minutes in the microwave and a godsend when you need something for a poached egg or cheese - not to mention the roughage.. maybe we won't mention it... :)

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Oh yes, good coffee and raw cocoa powder. Very rich. I'm thinking of milling the chia, reducing the amount of water and adding in some double cream to make a sort of mocha mousse.