What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
Thank you! I love something new to try out. I'll have a look round for it or, as you say, make a DIY version. I've got all those ingredients. :):):)

Annieok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
B: Coffee and cream
L: Pret Italian Chicken bowl (10.8 carbs) http://www.pret.co.uk/en-gb/1122-salads-&-sushi-chef's-italian-chicken-salad.aspx
D: Leftover chicken in aubergine pesto, cauliflower and broccoli
S: Pret Dark Chocolate with sea salt (12g); Piece of cheddar

I had a pretty good idea that today was going to be difficult because I had a dentist appointment first thing, then I had a meeting over lunch. I had nothing in the house to make lunch to bring with me to work and any excuse to go to Pret a Manger. I'm a bit annoyed over the chocolate bar though. I won't get my dinner until 9.30 because I have a work's thing at 6pm first.

ElyDave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Breakfast - Large coffee with coconut oil, butter and cream
Lunch - omelette with smoked salmon and some veg, and a couple of oat cakes
Dinner will be lentils (indian), veg and some fruit and cheese in all likelihood

I quite like that Pret now post the carbs on everything, I gave them some feedback on that a while ago, so even if it wasn't me, I'm still happy. They do some nice low carb stuff as well.

Reactions: 2 people

4ratbags

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
B: coffee n cream, 2 eggs n cream, scrambled

L: cheese, coffee n cream, cheesecake slice

D: glazed pork chop, cauliflour, peri peri mayo

S: coffee n cream, peanuts, 2 x pepsi max

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Breakfast: Tetley Redbush tea with vanilla

Lunch: The last of the chicken and veg soup/stew with parmesan AND chilli oil - a really nice combination.

Work meal: Romaine lettuce, 3 cherry tomatoes, half a small sliced red onion and a 200g pack of Asda Chinese Sliced Chicen Breast.

Then, as its my last work shift for four whole days, I will be having a nice (large) glass of Prosecco with my husband who I haven't seen awake since last Sunday.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Meant to say, I had a medication review with my pharmacist on Tuesday. Its been the same woman doing the review since I was diagnosed and she's seen me through some terrible times. She actually didn't recognise me (three and a half stone lighter plus different hair colour). We talked about LCMF and she asked if I'd give a 'talk' to a select few diabetics who might be interested. I said okay as long as it fits in with my shifts.

I've never done anything like this before. Any tips / suggestions??

Reactions: 6 people

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Meant to say, I had a medication review with my pharmacist on Tuesday. Its been the same woman doing the review since I was diagnosed and she's seen me through some terrible times. She actually didn't recognise me (three and a half stone lighter plus different hair colour). We talked about LCMF and she asked if I'd give a 'talk' to a select few diabetics who might be interested. I said okay as long as it fits in with my shifts.

That is absolutely marvellous! WELL DONE!!!

My tip would be based on the size of the group (I am far better at small groups than large ones). I just have to pretend that I am talking to just a few people, and I cope OK. So I kind of speak to one person at a time, in my head.
Just have to be careful not to actually look at one person too much, cos that would freak them out.

Did I say WELL DONE!!!

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
That is absolutely marvellous! WELL DONE!!!

My tip would be based on the size of the group (I am far better at small groups than large ones). I just have to pretend that I am talking to just a few people, and I cope OK. So I kind of speak to one person at a time, in my head.
Just have to be careful not to actually look at one person too much, cos that would freak them out.

Did I say WELL DONE!!!

Thank you very much. :D

I've never done anything like this before except at Uni when I had to do mock courtroom stuff and I wasn't very good at it. I'm hoping it will be a small group. I just need to get my head around some kind of structure to a presentation.

Annieok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Well done, Chook. I was on my Desmond course today - not very happy as spent most of my time biting my tongue. Anyway I got into an argument which resulted in me eating an apple to prove to myself how my blood sugar spikes. Anyway the dietitian thinks I might be a type 1 because I'm so sensitive to carbs.

B: coffee and cream
L: tin sardines in olive oil, mixed salad, grated raw Brussels sprouts, cherry tomatoes, cucumber and a teaspoon of coleslaw
S: the aforementioned apple and a small cube of cheese
D: baked chicken with aubergine pesto, steamed cauliflower and broccoli, fanta zero

LinsT

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thats fantastic Chook - you icon!
My advise would be to get some clear information on the exact topic they want you to talk about. E.g. is it your experiences as a diabetic or about your LCMF diet etc. Then find out how long they want you to talk for.
Once you have that info - prepare your talk and practise practise practise it. You'll feel much more confident if you prepare well. Make some little cards with memory joggers on. That way if you do lose track for any reason - a quick glance will help you out.
Please feel free to private message me if you want any further help - I used to be a Management Skills Trainer in a previous life :)

LinsT

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
B: Omelette made with bacon, cherry tomatoes and red onion
L: None
D: Is going to be fish stew with a Lidl protein roll to mop up the juices

4ratbags

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
B: coffee n cream, 2 eggs.n cream, scrambled

L: chicken thigh

D: mince with sour cream, cauliflour, peri peri mayo

S: 2 x coffees, 1 pineapple lump, 2 x pepsi max

ladybird64

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Dishonesty, selfishness and lack of empathy.
Sitting here catching up on everybody & have come to a decision (I think!) - I'm going to have to say "goodbye" to you because, I note that so many of you are having hardly any carbs, & as for fasting for hours, well, I just can't do that. I'm Type 2 with insulin. But I'll keep watch for a while and get back to you!!

I'm concerned:( My post was above yours and I mentioned my fast day - I really hope I haven't made you feel bad in any way? As I have written on another post today, one of my reasons (main reason actually), was because of permanent bowel issues I have due to cancer treatment. It is more about giving my digestive system a rest for a few extra hours than anything else really, I have one day a week where I'm eating just one meal, nothing more than that. I'm a lower carber, I do still eat rice, pasta, potatoes (small quantities) but on those days, I don't post on this thread - yesterday was one of those!
I hope you reconsider joining in, nobody bites:)

Today, B - Turkish Yogurt
L - fried peppers in tomato sauce, half a LP roll
D- chicken stir fried with broccoli, spring onions, couple carrot strips, mange tout and beansprouts. Pud berries and cream.

MARGAR

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I'm concerned:( My post was above yours and I mentioned my fast day - I really hope I haven't made you feel bad in any way? As I have written on another post today, one of my reasons (main reason actually), was because of permanent bowel issues I have due to cancer treatment. It is more about giving my digestive system a rest for a few extra hours than anything else really, I have one day a week where I'm eating just one meal, nothing more than that. I'm a lower carber, I do still eat rice, pasta, potatoes (small quantities) but on those days, I don't post on this thread - yesterday was one of those!
I hope you reconsider joining in, nobody bites:)

Today, B - Turkish Yogurt
L - fried peppers in tomato sauce, half a LP roll
D- chicken stir fried with broccoli, spring onions, couple carrot strips, mange tout and beansprouts. Pud berries and cream.
Ahh, please don't be concerned on my account, I was just writing what I felt at that time. It does help as Brunneria?? said, to stay with my new friends, it helps to keep me on track. Must be honest though, I've had a couple of "bad" days. I really do wish you well.....

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Thanks for good wishes, suggestions and help and, if it goes ahead, I will definitely take you up on offers of help in planning it. :) :) :)

Today, the first weekend day Mr Chook and I have spent together in a month so:

Breakfast: Two high meat content chipolata, four rashers bacon, mushrooms cooked in butter, napolina tomatoes, two fried eggs, half a Lidl Protein Roll and several cups of black decaffeinated coffee.

Lunch: Huge Costa decaff Americano with little jug of cream

Dinner: Starter: Scallops fried in butter with a touch of red chilli and lime on rocket/lambs lettuce.
Main: A double serving of mussels cooked in butter and white wine

Prosecco and possibly a G'n'T later

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
B. White coffee with sweetener.
L. White tea with sweetener, two onion bhajis. One (Ewelina's) coconut macaroon.
S. Three scrambled eggs on buttered toasted LIDL HP roll, one Royal Gala apple, 2 squares 73% cocoa orange & ginger dark chocolate.

Some Sula humbugs and Werthers no sugar butterscotch candies during day.
After 9pm half a bottle of Australian Merlot, two babybels and a hot peperami.

Last edited by a moderator:

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Breakfast: Black coffee

Lunch/ snack: 30g pack pork scratchings , 25g Brazil nuts

Early dinner: Pork belly dusted with five spice, ground fennel seeds and a drizzle of chilli oil and very slow roasted. Baked baby fennel, baby courgettes, leeks and garlic and steamed pak choi.

Supper: Unlikely but possibly some blue cheese - gorgonzola or Stilton

Glass or two of Prosecco.

Reactions: 5 people

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
@Brunneria .Whereabouts in a supermarket would I find the umami. I looked in Marrisons, Tesco and Lidl and couldn't find it. :(

Larissima

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Brunneria .Whereabouts in a supermarket would I find the umami. I looked in Marrisons, Tesco and Lidl and couldn't find it. :(
I've seen it in Sainsbury, in their cooking ingredients aisle. Didn't buy it, as use anchovies and GF tamari sauce already, and find it quite umami-ish

EDIT: @Brunneria , I forgot they list sun-dried tomato as an ingredient, and that has originally put me off - do you taste any sweetness from it?

Last edited by a moderator:

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Well, none of the supermarkets I use list it for home delivery ;( I shall keep looking (or make my own). What do you put it in / on?

Third day of my four day weekend and 'im indoors has got today off too, so:

Beakfast: Half a lidl roll, buttered and cut in to solidiers. Boiled egg
Lunch: Bag of pork scratchings
Dinner: Lidl apricot, pork and somethingorother stuffed duck, roasted baby fennel, baby courgettes and baby parsnips (although I think, having entered them on Myfitnesspal I might be giving the 'snips a miss). steamed broccoli and cauli. And I've made a fresh apricot, garlic and white wine sauce to go with the duck .

This puts me over my normal 25g/carbs daily target but as I seem to be 'running low' at the moment it will be interesting to see what happens.

I was going to fast tomorrow but as this morning's fbg reading was 4.1 I don't think it would be a good idea unless my fbg is a good bit higher. Shame, really, as I quite enjoy fasting. (I can't believe I just wrote that!!!! :wacky: :joyful::angelic:)