What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm English and the main use I have ever known for clotted cream is as the picture showed - with jam on a scone. Have used it to make a very sinful creamy rice pudding, when that was allowed. Never thought of using it for anything savoury but who knows? Someone might have a use for it that way. Should go well with some fruits or fruit compote, but it's not something I would normally buy.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Just had my first food today (2.30 pm): smoked salmon pieces mixed with chopped up iceberg lettuce and some mayonnaise with 2 crackers. Dietician would be looking askance.

Later: will probably be egg of some sort. It's easy and not too filling for an evening meal.

No idea how many calories that represents and to be honest, I can't be bothered to work it out. But it can't be much. In terms of carbs, that would be about 20 g I'd guess.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm English and the main use I have ever known for clotted cream is as the picture showed
Oh well, if no-one else has experience with diabetic friendly uses of clotted cream I'll just open the pot and taste it so I can invent a use for it!
Should be much easier for someone like me, not hindered by knowing what it should be used like, as I've never had a scone either. :)

And in the worst case scenario I'll just have very happy dogs and cats! :happy:

Lainie71

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The term "big boned" lol repeatedly told this growing up!
Not had much today so far as feeling icky however, I had a cold piece of ham a lettuce this morning :grumpy:

Reactions: Riva_Roxaban

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You can eat the cookies straight from the freezer. They are even crisper. @DJC3 wishes I'd never told her that!

Yes Thats true lol!
My only saving grace is that I ask my husband to put them in the garage freezer - I never go in there, it’s way too spidery. If I kept the cakes in the little kitchen fridge-freezer they wouldn’t last a couple of days.

Reactions: maglil55

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
They sold this at Lidl today.
I have no idea what it tastes like or how you use it (apart from on scones, that's in the picture) as this is not something usually available here.
I bought it anyway, knowing there's a whole forum of friendly people who know everything about clotted cream! :happy:

So tell me all about it please!

261285853_10224694679388718_2542228608866380345_n.jpg

Interesting! Looks like it’s in a sealed jam jar? I’ve never seen it like that - we usually get it fresh in tubs. It’s very high fat, somewhere between butter and double cream you can’t whip it, just dollop it out. It’s absolute heaven on a scone, fruit crumble or other sort of pud or just on top of berries.
I would be thrown out of my adopted county (Cornwall) if I didn’t tell you the proper way to eat it on a scone is …. jam first then a large blob of cream. ( anyone from Devon who tells you to put cream on first is just wrong!) there are plenty of lc recipes for scones around and of course chia jam is excellent should you want to recreate a typical Cornish cream tea. Enjoy!

Reactions: maglil55 and Annb

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Interesting! Looks like it’s in a sealed jam jar? I’ve never seen it like that - we usually get it fresh in tubs.
It says to eat within 5 days once opened, but closed and refridgerated it should keep for a year. Sounds doubtful, but on the other hand, the only ingredient is cream so it can't be that bad :)
there are plenty of lc recipes for scones around and of course chia jam is excellent should you want to recreate a typical Cornish cream tea. Enjoy!
Sounds great, but I think I'll find a less faffy use for it. You never know though, I might surprise myself!

edit: I also posted the question on Facebook, and one of my Dutch friends told me her partner just eats it like it is, with a spoon.
Very easy suggestion to try, and very tasty too!

By far the easiest to prepare snack I ever had, can recommend! :hilarious:

Last edited:

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It says to eat within 5 days once opened, but closed and refridgerated it should keep for a year. Sounds doubtful, but on the other hand, the only ingredient is cream so it can't be that bad :)

Sounds great, but I think I'll find a less faffy use for it. You never know though, I might surprise myself!

edit: I also posted the question on Facebook, and one of my Dutch friends told me her partner just eats it like it is, with a spoon.

Yep, just dip a spoon in and off you go. It’s very addictive. Don't be put off by any 'crusty' bits, they come from the cooking process and are all part of it

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Having made a list of the ingredients in DGFs mincemeat pies, I spotted the requirement for candied orange and lemon peel. To be honest, this could be useful for any number of recipes. Anyway, I've added the candied orange peel recipe to my CMT but here's the link to it for non CMT users.

https://www.bylena.com/recipe/482/Candied-Orange-Peel-With-Sugar-or-Low-Carb/

The low carb version just substitutes your preferred sweetener (which for me is Monk Fruit Classic). Although the recipe is for orange, the same applies to any citrus fruit you want to candy.

Obviously, you won't want to eat the flesh of 6 oranges so, unless you have grandchildren to feed them to, my alternative is to freeze the individual segments for use in alcoholic beverages!
Oh you temptress you!
I used to make these, and did an extra special version adding spices to the sugar syrup, cloves, cinnamon, black pepper, then dipping in the dark chocolate and have them as presents (if I didn't eat them all)
I have 2 large pots of the full sugar peel in my baking cupboard. Can't quite bring myself to dispose of them yet. Still hope to bake for the family at some point.

Tori71

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yay, we’ll done! What did you think of it?
Probably, better with cream on, but overall nice. Quite a saving on carbs with 'ordinary ones' anything from 35g upwards! What do you think of them?
I've learned that 'substitutes' are just that, never an exact replica. Although if anyone can bring out a low carb french stick I'm there! Probably get loads of pitying looks again at Christmas when I wheel out my low carb fayre;)

Reactions: Mrs T 123 and DJC3

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Oh yes! Sorry I should have mentioned that it’s compulsory to sneak a spoonful every time one goes near the fridge.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
B-cheesy scrambled eggs
L-Turkey breast with salad and h/m mayo followed by DGF chocolate orange brownie
D- chicken thighs in curry sauce made from a tin of coconut milk and a random selection of spices. I might have a glass of red later as it’s Friday and it seems like it’s been a very long week.
@Tori71 I liked the Christmassy flavours and they are certainly better carb value than a traditional mince pie. I agree they are not as good as a proper one really but I’m happy to have these to fill that gap. It’s probably just as well they aren’t really More-ish to be honest.

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
First breakfast 1 slice of low carb bread toasted with lots of cheese and marmite Second breakfast Full fat yoghurt ,double cream and half a small easy peeler Lunch boiled egg avocado and walnuts Evening meal small piece of pork fillet spicy avocado green beans celeriac mash dark chocolate with double cream made into mousse with a few almonds .Going to have a glass of red wine .
Carol
PS I am trying to gain weight but keep blood glucose levels down

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Finally got around to making mincemeat for DIL today. The only spices I use are black pepper and ginger - she's allergic to many spices, so I have to be careful. Consists of dried cranberries, raisins, dried barberries, dried apricot, granny smith apples, coconut, butter and a small amount of muscovado sugar. Finished with lemon zest and orange zest. Now I have to let it cool down before blitzing it and packing it in boxes for the freezer - no alcohol so it won't keep in the cupboard.

Also have this evening to make some kind of cake for a face to face meeting tomorrow afternoon. I should have got this done already, but I wasn't feeling up to it. Probably a chocolate sponge with a choc ganache topping will be sufficient. I do have some orange jelly segments which can go on top. I guess it will be a traybake - easier to do and I'm not feeling in a baking mood really. Maybe because I haven't eaten anything other than the salmon and lettuce this morning. Not enough fluids either - I just never seem to get around to drinking when Em is here, despite sharing a couple of cups of tea with her during the day.

shelley262

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Late start today - I woke around midnight after short sleep to grab a DGF Black Friday low carb Christmas goodies deal. Managed to get order in but then had shallower sleep until about 6am with recurrent dreams about Christmas puddings! Of course went to sleep more deeply at 6am and didn’t want to wake this am.
Lunch half hm lc roll with some cheese, pate and mixed nuts followed by yoghurt and three squares of 90% chocolate
Dinner salmon in lemon butter with green beans and glass of dry white wine followed by a few berries with a lc lemon drizzle cake and yoghurt.

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Mid morning: seeds soaked overnight on ff greek with blackberries. Still not enough so ended up with not one but two! Nut bars
Not hungry at lunchtime, but managed to nibble nuts and lc cake while cooking for the freezer.
I blame all you for keep mentioning buying cakes. I'm trying to avoid temptation and cost by making my own. Now have both chocolate and coffe cake frozen.

D: 6pm 2 lamb chops, celeriac mash, cabbage, green beans and courgette.
2 glasses red because its Friday

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yay @shelley262 ! I got a Christmas Black Friday deal from DGF at midnight too, difference is I was in bed but not asleep, I always see midnight, a left over from years of working nights before I retired!

Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries washed down with a black coffee.
Late morning: coffee shop coconut cappuccino and an Atkins bar.
Skipped lunch.
Mid afternoon: black coffee and a phd bar.
Dinner: tuna mayo sandwiches made with LC bread followed by DGF cookie/brownie thing and cream.

Reactions: maglil55 and Annb

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Oh, also had covid booster today. For some reason our local centre wasn't coming up on the list of locations so ended up going to a Hindu Temple several miles away. Made a change.